SW Ultras?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Derry 07 May 2020

With my climbing fitness out the window (I just can't motivate myself to get on the hangboard), I've been back running with earnest. Mostly to clear the head after a day of homeschooling. Now I'm thinking of signing up for an ultra marathon when all of this has blown over. Anyone got any recommendations around the Southwest? Off-road, about 50-60 miles?

Thanks

Removed User 07 May 2020
In reply to Derry:

Try looking at http://www.puretrail.uk/ I  ran their Lundy race last year and was down to do it this year

supersteve 07 May 2020
In reply to Derry:

I did the Isle Of Wight ultra a couple of years ago. Fun and varied route, with plenty of good views. 

GDes 07 May 2020
In reply to Derry:

There's a cross dartmoor one in late August (allegedly) by puretrail. There's another one around South dartmoor in early September too. Endurance Life do one on the south hams coast in February too 

scope 07 May 2020
In reply to Removed UserS1964:

A Lundy ultra?? What do you do, run round the island 50 times?

Removed User 07 May 2020
In reply to scope:

It was only a half, but a very spectacular half, timed to catch the (MV Oldenburg) ferry back in a day, as Ged pointed out Pure Trail do organise other longer events

Tom Last 07 May 2020
In reply to Derry:

Roseland August Trail (RAT) is good and hilly. It’s my regular local run so the 11 and 30 mile varieties are what I used to train for BGR (I’ve never actually done the event but I’ve been along and it gets good reviews). 
I failed ob leg 3 of BGR so make of that what you will!

The 60 odd mile one is a there and back again affair. All hilly coastpath between St Austell and St Mawes (roughly). Very beautiful. 
Doubt it’s on this year of course.

mbh 07 May 2020
In reply to derryclimbs:

^What Tom said.

I did the 30 mile Rat once and loved it. Well, I loved finishing it.

HaHa. I also tried a BGR (on my own) and couldn't even get going on leg 3. I looked up from Dunmail Raise and sank to the ground.

Wainers44 07 May 2020
In reply to Derry:

Mud Crew organise the RAT as per Tom's comments and I think it's the best running festival down here by far. Still not cancelled this year..but not looking good I would suggest. I m in the 32 mile black rat at the mo. I have done it three times before.

The out and back 64 miler is nothing short of brutal and the midnight start messes with your mind! I have tried it and failed twice, getting to 52 miles the first time.

I have only done the shorter stuff by Puretrail,  like the Dartmoor Volcano and that was very well organised and great fun if you like bog running (I do!) 😁

OP Derry 07 May 2020
In reply to Derry:

Cheers for all the replies. Some great options there. The Puretrail Big Day out looks good. I love Dartmoor so very appealing even if its a bit shorter than I had initially said. Will check out the RAT now!

GDes 08 May 2020
In reply to Derry:

The shorter Puretrail runs are great fun.  Dartmoor volcano (10 miles), Race the tide/light, and the Hameldown Hammer (13 miles) are the closest we seem to have to proper fell races down this way

yorkshireman 08 May 2020
In reply to Derry:

I did the Jurassic Coast 100 miler a couple of years ago along the coastal path from Poole to Exmouth.

Great scenery, enough constant up and down to keep it interesting and lots of places to refuel on chip butties and ice creams.

https://mountaintrailrunning.com/race-reports/race-report-jurassic-coast-10...

They have shorter versions that join the main course at later points so towards the end you end up running with a lot of others.

mbh 08 May 2020
In reply to Derry:

There are also the Classic Quarter which I did (just), from the Lizard to Land's End, about 44 miles, and the Exmoor Ultra (plus shorter distances), both run by EnduranceLife.

Bys Vyken run the Cousin jack, 35 miles from St Ives to Cape Cornwall and back. That's pretty spectacular and tough running for much of it. Shorter distances are available.

I seem to remember too that Climb South west run a coast to coast (N to S of Devon) via Dartmoor. 

And, it's not an ultra, but you could do worse than consider the Grizzly, 20 miles from Seaton, run by Axe Valley Runners. 1000+ runners, lots of hills, mud and shingle beaches. Always a great atmosphere.

Many or all of these, of course, are probably either already booked up or not running this year.

mbh 08 May 2020
In reply to Derry:

A few replies here that were shorter than your OP requested, but here's one that is longer, the North Coast Challenge - from the Devon-Cornwall border to Lands End. 145 miles, I think nine have done it so far, the best in 40 hours or so. I supported a couple of them in 2015, for a mere 16 miles.

Or, for another short one, try doing the Dartmoor 600s. No event, you just do them. I've only done part of it, but was spooked by the sense of isolation you get on parts of Dartmoor.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...