Summer Spine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 19 Jun 2021

Dots leaving Edale. Someone on here said he was running it, but I don't know the name.

petemeads 19 Jun 2021
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Montane website seems a bit confused - perhaps race due to start Sunday 0800, registration today? Certainly nobody is moving at the moment...

In reply to petemeads:

> Montane website seems a bit confused - perhaps race due to start Sunday 0800, registration today? Certainly nobody is moving at the moment...

I haven’t looked at the website, but from a quick scan of the Open Tracking App it looks like the Sprint + Challenger have both started. Im assuming that the Spine itself begins tomorrow.

Bring on the dot watching…again… 😂

Levy_danny 19 Jun 2021
In reply to petemeads:

I was up running on Kinder today and saw quite a few Spine competitors running past one bloke said he had entered the medium distance so not sure if everyone set off at the same time. 

greg_may_ 19 Jun 2021
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Met a few of the Sprint runners coming over Blackstone Edge today. Nice day to be out and they had a tailwind! 

OP BusyLizzie 20 Jun 2021
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Yes, I'd forgotten the staggered start!

mountainbagger 20 Jun 2021
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> Yes, I'd forgotten the staggered start!

There'll be a staggered finish (in more ways than one) too!

Matt Podd 20 Jun 2021
In reply to BusyLizzie:

My mate, The Punk Panther was starting at 8 last night for the full distance. 

mountainbagger 22 Jun 2021
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Interesting at the front now. Feels like Anna is gaining on Eoin possibly? Or is he just doing enough to stay in front?

kathrync 23 Jun 2021
In reply to mountainbagger:

Well, Eoin held on, he and Anna both got records - well deserved congratulations to both of them.

Now to the part I enjoy most - watching the back of the field work their way through and willing the stragglers to keep making the cutoffs!

In reply to everyone:

Anyone out there interested/curious in entering next year? I'm currently weighing it up, but (as always) it depends on a number of life factors...not to mention me continuing to do a lot of running in between now and then...

kathrync 24 Jun 2021
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Vaguely curious, but I don't think it's realistic for me. I've only really moved from 10km road races to longer trail running over the last year and still working for my first 50km trail race. Something as big as the Spine is enticing, but it feels like a long way off!

Post edited at 15:13
 Nic Barber 24 Jun 2021
In reply to kathrync:

They do have the 'sprint (50miles to Hebden) and the Challenger 'fun run' (108 miles to Hawes) as stepping stones. Plenty of other events in those brackets as well.

kathrync 24 Jun 2021
In reply to Nic Barber:

Yeah, I have been vaguely considering the Challenger. It certainly feels a lot more realistic. I suspect I will try to get another year of building up some experience and actually running some events, with the aim of signing up for the Challenger in 2023 rather than diving in to doing it next year though. 

The sprint on the other hand...that could be fun next year!

In reply to kathrync:

> Yeah, I have been vaguely considering the Challenger. It certainly feels a lot more realistic. I suspect I will try to get another year of building up some experience and actually running some events, with the aim of signing up for the Challenger in 2023 rather than diving in to doing it next year though. 

> The sprint on the other hand...that could be fun next year!

That sounds like a good plan, nice to have a few things to aim for on the way. I reckon being involved with the Sprint would be great fun too, as it'll give you a good taste of the atmosphere - and what you'll need in the tank to do the Challenger.

From my side, I've done various 24hr rounds, but nothing longer and I guess that's what makes me curious - how do you deal with running (or, let's face it, walking) day after day? 

I'm not sure I'll make a decision regarding whether or not I'll do either until nearer the time, but that curiosity is definitely hard to hold back, as I'm interested to see what happens...

Levy_danny 24 Jun 2021

I'm really keen to give the sprint a go next Summer I think. 

Michael Hood 24 Jun 2021

Not sure if this is winter or summer but they're also doing a "North challenger" covering the bit from Hawes to KY - allows you to do the whole thing in 2 halves (over 2 years obviously) before doing the full Spine.

I could envisage doing the Sprint, but multi-day is I think now beyond me without a lot of specific training to get used to repeated/continual effort. Also the Sprint is the only one where the £s don't make my eyes water 😁

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...