Sub 2 hour Marathon challenge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gone for good 12 Oct 2019

You can watch live updates here.

Watch: 1:59 Challenge with Eliud Kipchoge - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/athletics/49771509

A bit too manufactured for my liking with lots of external help but he still has to rely on his own legs.

ianstevens 12 Oct 2019
In reply to Gone for good:

> You can watch live updates here.

> Watch: 1:59 Challenge with Eliud Kipchoge - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/athletics/49771509

> A bit too manufactured for my liking with lots of external help but he still has to rely on his own legs.

And cheat shoes, and probably some drugs. 

Yanis Nayu 12 Oct 2019
In reply to ianstevens:

Definitely cheat shoes. 

john arran 12 Oct 2019

I love the pacing 'laser line'!

robert-hutton 12 Oct 2019
In reply to john arran:

Hoping for sub two, manufactured yes but wasn't sub four mile also manufactured.

Words cannot express the joy in watching that

In reply to robert-hutton:

> Hoping for sub two, manufactured yes but wasn't sub four mile also manufactured.

Yes it was. A very impressive athletic feat. All athletic records are manufactured to some extent. Just like all mountains are climbed on the shoulders of those who have gone before. 

In reply to john arran:

Puts my 1 hour track challenge last week into perspective! 

WaterMonkey 12 Oct 2019

I look worse after a 25min 5km than he does now!

unbelievable athlete

Moley 12 Oct 2019

Good for a Saturday parkrun

Yanis Nayu 12 Oct 2019

He can’t stop running. Amazing achievement.

KennyG 12 Oct 2019

Manufactured or not his sheer happiness brought a lump to my throat.

Remarkable.

john arran 12 Oct 2019

Who would have thought the laser line was slowing him down!

What an incredible performance by an incredible athlete.

I wonder how long it will take for this record to be joined by a 'within race' sub-2? It surely must now be high on Eliud's target list of achievements to go for while he's at his very best.

Unfathomable pace.

ianstevens 12 Oct 2019
In reply to john arran:

> Who would have thought the laser line was slowing him down!

> What an incredible performance by an incredible athlete.

> I wonder how long it will take for this record to be joined by a 'within race' sub-2? It surely must now be high on Eliud's target list of achievements to go for while he's at his very best.

Aka, an actual record, this isn’t recognised by the IAAF for several (good; IMO) reasons. Nonetheless an excellent effort pushing the limits of human achievement.

Not to the same extent as chattaway and basher started with banister and were technically 'in race. Probably more comparable to Paula Radcliffe time when she had male pace makers and competitiors.

As a physical and tactical/technical endeavour.... this was awesome

Pullhard 12 Oct 2019
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

Shame the Olympics are next year we could have had a battle in Berlin. As it’s a close race will there be testing afterward ? 
The pacers are all amazing athletes wonder how much they will get paid? 

He is such a likeable and inspiring man 

malk 12 Oct 2019

comparing with Neil Armstrong is going a bit far..

wbo2 12 Oct 2019
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):  bear in kind Breasher  started at the same time but got himself lapped pretty effectively 

In reply to malk:

But sports personality of the year if not decade

Post edited at 12:42
 mrphilipoldham 12 Oct 2019
In reply to malk:

Yes I found some of the comparisons a little cringeworthy. It's without doubt a remarkable achievement, but people have been running since we humans first stood upright, whereas no one had stepped foot on anything but Earth before Armstrong and given the potential billions, if not trillions, of combinations of events that could have stopped that at any single moment, it's still astounding that they did what they did. 

Blue Straggler 12 Oct 2019

This means nothing to me 

petemeads 12 Oct 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Think of it as the first 9d, with beta and practice, and perfect conditions. Still impressive...

In reply to Blue Straggler:

> This means nothing to me 

Ooohhh Vienna....

Blue Straggler 12 Oct 2019

Hurrah, and within 30 minutes too, before I got any dislikes! 

DancingOnRock 12 Oct 2019

If nothing else, it proves that the biomechanics of a human being can produce a sub 2:00 marathon. 

Everything is manufactured. Why 26.2 miles? What’s so special about that?Had it been exactly 40km maybe, but when then the idea of a km is pretty arbitrary.

Impressive running, most of us couldn’t even run 100m at that pace. 

In reply to wbo2:

I'd actually forgotten that.... good point

> bear in kind Breasher  started at the same time but got himself lapped pretty effectively 

john arran 12 Oct 2019

Would it be against any IAAF rule to act as a pacemaker once you'd already been lapped? That could open the way to a pacemaker relay, with each pacemaker taking a few laps off to rest at jogging pace before their next shift. Has this ever been tried?

Pedro50 12 Oct 2019
In reply to john arran:

They used to do it before it was banned in the 1950s I think 

bouldery bits 12 Oct 2019
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> Yes I found some of the comparisons a little cringeworthy. It's without doubt a remarkable achievement, but people have been running since we humans first stood upright, whereas no one had stepped foot on anything but Earth before Armstrong and given the potential billions, if not trillions, of combinations of events that could have stopped that at any single moment, it's still astounding that they did what they did. 

Lance gets about doesn't he? 

mbh 12 Oct 2019

it is not to be compared with the Apollo achievement of landing on the moon, but in athletic terms it is awesome. Nor is it race conditions, but hugely interesting to see what can be achieved if everything (bar, one hopes, doping) is dedicated to a fast time. 

Park runners: he just did almost 8.5 5k runs back to back at 14:11 for each one.

Beat that!

planetmarshall 12 Oct 2019
In reply to ianstevens:

> And cheat shoes, and probably some drugs. 

I almost don't care. As it's basically a demonstration event to show what a human being can do under their own power, maybe we should just go the whole hog and load an athlete up with EPO and see what happens.

In reply to planetmarshall:

> I almost don't care. As it's basically a demonstration event to show what a human being can do under their own power, maybe we should just go the whole hog and load an athlete up with EPO and see what happens.

Been done "Marco Pantani"

bouldery bits 12 Oct 2019

> Been done "Marco Pantani"

Still my favourite pro cyclist.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...