Strava v Relive

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DancingOnRock 11 Jul 2019

Looks interesting. Relive are an app that creates 3D visualisation of your Strava activity. 

Strava have pulled the plug on Relive today stating their new Social Networking violates their competition rules (or that’s the way it looks reading the emails from both parties)

A few hours ago Strava launched a 3D visualiser of their own.

Ridge 11 Jul 2019
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Interesting. I wondered why I didn't get a Relive view of a run I did on Monday!

Edit. Simple enough to go from Garmin connect to both Strava and Relive.

I suspect Strava have decided they want Relives customers. I also suspect it won't be long before Strava becomes subscription only.

Post edited at 15:17
 steelbru 11 Jul 2019

Well someone's telling a big lie............

Relive say that although they introduced some changes that Strava complained about, they immediately undid those changes, but Strava now complaining about what they've been happy with for years  https://www.relive.cc/strava

Strava say that Relive refuse to undo the changes that were introduced and violate their terms https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030429332-An-update-on-our-...

timjones 11 Jul 2019
In reply to steelbru:

Stravas statement leaves me wondering what data they are allowing to be accessed by their "API partners"?

If the misuse of data may cause a problem then surely they shouldn't be allowing API partners to access that data in the first place?

nniff 11 Jul 2019

I rather think that Strava is being a PITA to others. Vitality (Health Insurance) links to Garmin but not to Strava because Strava says 'no'.  My Garmin doesn't link automatically, so once a week I have to plug the thing in and download all the data.  I've had to separate Strava on my phone from Garmin - they used to back each other up and I didn't keep anything stored on the Garmin.  Now there's  loads of stuff and if they link I'll spend ages trying to delete duplicates.  As far as I can tell, I can update Strava with Garmin if my phone fails, but I don't think I can do the opposite - and frankly I can't be bothered to look because I think I know how it will end

They're also trying to jump onto the cheery activity tracker bandwagon-  right now it tells me I've done 15 activities this month. I do not effing well care.

Neil Williams 11 Jul 2019
In reply to Ridge:

> I suspect Strava have decided they want Relives customers. I also suspect it won't be long before Strava becomes subscription only.

I think Strava are struggling to monetise their product, advertising doesn't work well for it because people don't spend all day staring at it unlike say FB.

kevin stephens 11 Jul 2019

I got bored (or to be precise my social media contacts got very bored) of Relive videos of my adventures so I disabled the link.  

I'm more concerned about the link between Strava and Suunto MovesCount.  When I import my sea kayaking trips Strava gives a silly speed which makes it look as if I was on a jet ski; not cool in sea kayaking circles!

SouthernSteve 12 Jul 2019

The huge advantage of Strava over the device specific applications is that you can all be on it regardless of your means of recording, and for those without specific watches or bike devices the app does a fair job on the phone. This is their main USP. 

Their fitness and freshness is a joke, being irrelevant to slow endurance training -  unless you are in high HR zones for extended periods, you are not getting fitter even if you have run a hilly half marathon!

The recent addition of how many things you have done 'this month' is also a trend in others. Garmin Connect now send me an email weekly and monthly which is new.

If your are on a training plan, specifically not doing more over an arbitrary period and not being faster every time you do a segment are likely objectives most of the time - the goals are very limited. I plan to let my paid membership lapse so that I and my contacts can stay in touch, but to use Training Peaks for everything else - with no public exposure. 

If the free option goes, I suspect Strava will have to offer a lot more not to collapse into a niche app, most suited to cyclists.

OP DancingOnRock 12 Jul 2019
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Yes. It’s got a lot of users though. Is there a training peaks app? The Strava desktop is very good but ... it’s desktop. 

I signed up to the paid version early on and have some kind of Summit membership, not sure if it’s everything or a special version only for those who signed up originally. 

nniff 12 Jul 2019
In reply to Neil Williams:

I believe that their heat maps are sold commercially for town planning etc to cities that actually care

yorkshireman 12 Jul 2019
In reply to SouthernSteve:

> I plan to let my paid membership lapse so that I and my contacts can stay in touch, but to use Training Peaks for everything else

This is exactly what I did a couple of months back. After being a Strava Premium user since 2012, they lost my custom by completely ignoring the 'planned' feature to upgrade the training plan/calendar. I've been using TrainingPeaks in parallel for a couple of years and didn't see the point in paying the extra for Strava when it wasn't really offering value for money.

Sad because I really like Strava and think it had potential - I get a lot psychologically out of following friends and virtual friends so wouldn't want to give it up completely.

SouthernSteve 12 Jul 2019

There is an iOS app for training peaks - I have not investigated android.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...