Strava - recording...help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Good afternoon all, 

I'm struggling with Strava, in fact, it is fair to say that I am flabbergasted. 

I've been using Strava (subscription)for 18 months or so without an issue. Over the last two months, however, it has failed to record the distance traveled on my runs. I'm not doing anything spectacular, just wheezing my way around my local woods, but even so, it is frustrating.

It is recording the actual time spent running, and the GPS shows an accurate position of my whereabouts but the distance traveled is always 0.0km. 

The device is a Huawei Honor 10 running android 10.0.0.177 
Phone settings have GPS on, I also run with mobile data on 
App permissions are body sensors/contacts/location (only while the app is in use)/Physical activity/Storage. 
App is up to date

Any ideas what's going on? I thought that perhaps it is a compatibility issue. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Strava to no effect. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

k_os 07 Oct 2020
In reply to OneBeardedWalker:

Do you have any GPS issues in any other apps? Google maps, OS maps etc? Does it work if you've got a clear view of the sky?

It sounds more like a device issue than Strava, you could try downloading a free GPS reset/diagnosis type app from the app store to see if that fixes things. If that doesn't work, try contacting Strava to see what they say (expect a fairly decent wait for a response though)

Hope that helps

Yanis Nayu 07 Oct 2020

Are you on a treadmill?

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Ha - yes, that's it! 

In reply to k_os:

Interestingly, I don't have any GPS issues on either Google Maps or OS Maps, OS Locate. I'll try the GPS reset that you suggest and see if that helps. 

Many thanks for the input

In reply to riverz:

Thank you ever so much. I'll take a look.

john arran 07 Oct 2020

You haven't switched to recording rides instead of runs by accident, have you? It may be that, if you're not running very quickly, it could be recording your whole run as 'inactive' time, which would explain the gps trace but no recorded 'active' distance. I'd have thought you'd have to be going pretty damned slowly for that though.

In reply to john arran:

That's a very good suggestion, thank you. I have checked though and it was set to 'run'. I'll pop to shops with it on 'walk', see if that changes anything.

Cheers for the input. 

Country_Boy 08 Oct 2020

I had similar problems with Strava on an iPhone 5s earlier this year.  It either refused to record distance, or sometimes recorded, but the track would have excessive wiggles and loops in it.  I resorted to always rebooting the phone before a run, as well as leaving it out in the garden for 5 minutes to give it a chance to hook onto as many satellites as possible.  The problem cleared up.  I’m now in the habit of turning my phone off overnight anyway, so it gets a reboot every 24 hours.  I don’t take any other measures but Strava now records absolutely fine.

Apologies for restarting this thread about my own technical inability but... 

Having tried resetting the GPS etc, I'm getting the same result. Interestingly (or not) it doesn't have the same issue when walking - I set it to walk and wondered to the shops, all recorded fine.

I've uploaded a screenshot of the latest attempt at tracking. Distance travelled in real terms was about 4km and much less direct. 

jassaelle 22 Oct 2020

mine has actually been playing up the past few days - weirdly. 

have you put 'performance battery mode' on. My strava doesn't record if its in power saver mode for some reason, and know others who have had the same thing.

In reply to jassaelle:

Thanks, I'll give that a go before giving up on it. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...