Small marathons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 27 Oct 2017
(Yes yes I know they are all the same length) ... This September I enjoyed the Rutland Water marathon, an event so small that for part of the way I couldn't see any other runners. Not that I am anti-social, but it was a nice change and meant no queues for anything.

I'm looking for a marathon for summer 2018 and would love to hear suggestions for similar events involving hundreds not thousands. I live in Reading but will travel.

Thank you!
Lizzie
 robert-hutton 27 Oct 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

White peak marathon is a low key friendly event and if the weather / wind is good it's outstanding.
 pyrrho101 27 Oct 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

The Moyleman in Lewes is fantastic. It's in March though and takes in all of the South Down hills around Lewes!

http://themoyleman.com/
 yorkshireman 27 Oct 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Greensand marathon is close to you. It’s all trail and when I did it was beautiful on October.
 liz j 27 Oct 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Look up White Star Running, they hold fantastic races across Dorset and Wiltshire, all with amazing aid stations and the best medals in the business!
 mbh 27 Oct 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

A few suggestions in the south west:

The first two are spring rather than summer, but might interest you nonetheless and, er, most are not exactly the actual marathon distance.

The Grizzly 18/3/2018
Axe Valley Runners.
3500 ft of coast path, trail, road, bog and shingle beach. 1000+ entrants, but not many 1000s, and a great atmosphere.
Starts and ends in Seaton.
Might already be full?

Exe to Axe 8/4/2018
Sidmouth Running Club
Along the coast path from the Exe to the Axe.
Haven't done it, but looks great. A much lower key version of the Grizzly, with 200+ finishers this year.

Roseland August Trail (Red RAT) 11/8/2018
MudCrew
Entries open on NY day.
Along the coast path of the Roseland peninsula in Cornwall.
In the Red version you run about 20 miles. I did the Black route (32 miles) once and DNFd the second time. There were about 100 entrants each time.

There was also a full/half marathon in late August from Princetown in the centre of Dartmoor to the edge, heading south eastwards. Appropriately called the Great Escape. Run by pure trail running. I might do the half next year if it runs again, being attracted by the elevation profile ,which looked flat, then down!

Freedom Racing ran a marathon in north Dartmoor, from Okehampton this September. Look up Dartmoor Highground Series or something like that. I did the 10 mile Yes Tor event on the same day, and it was very low key with less than 50 entrants. The route took in both classic Dartmoor bleakness and a beautiful river valley.
 mbh 27 Oct 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

If forgot to also mention the Eden Project marathon, which happens in the very late part of summer known as October. I entered it this year, but had completely forgotten (it was a late 2016 fit of enthusiasm) and only did the half. There were 250ish entrants for the full thing and 800ish for the half. Lots of nice marshals and people all the way. The marathon is about 50/50 trail/road, I think, and you finish outside the ice rink right by the domes in the centre of it all. Two free tickets to the domes for your supporters mean you and they can swan about in the cafes afterwards.
 Wainers44 27 Oct 2017
In reply to mbh:

Any of the Mud Crewe events are highly recommended, but the RAT at any distance is very special! You just need to like steps a bit! The 32 with no training (long story) was great, however two failed attempts at the 64 have made me wonder if the coast path and me over a 64 mile running race just aren't compatible!!
OP BusyLizzie 28 Oct 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

So many good ideas here - very many thanks. Lots to think about.
Lxx
OP BusyLizzie 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Ste Brom:

> Torshavn, Faroe Islands.

Oh my goodness that looks awesome...
 Tom Last 29 Oct 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Another Cornish one is the IMERYS Marathon, in St Austell. It climbs all over the local China clay mining area and is quite a tough marathon, I believe.
 steelbru 30 Oct 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I did the Loch Rannoch marathon a couple of weeks ago - about 180 participants ( just over 200 last year ).

It's basically a run around the Loch ( in central Scotland, due west of Pitlochry ), on very quiet B road on north side and unclassified road on south side. Lovely views, including the classic view of the shapely Schiehallion.

Fairly low key, water stations are help yourself to bottles which have been left on tables, did have chip timing though ( although no intermediate splits )

Might be a bit late in the year if you are looking for a summer race, but you could do this as well as a summer one
OP BusyLizzie 30 Oct 2017
In reply to steelbru:

That sounds nice, thank you.
 Wonrek 31 Oct 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

If you're looking for small events then Mudcrew ones although good fun won't tick that box. Small, good value and very low key, look at the Beyond Marathon events. I did a 100 mile race with them this year and only 30 competitors!

Also Pure Trail events on Dartmoor are smaller and really well thought out courses. One of my favourite marathons though is a very low key one in Weymouth, the Hangers Heroes. It's a charity event but is a really lovely, varied course http://www.hangersheroes.co.uk/challenge-run-2/
 mav 31 Oct 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:
I did kielder marathon a few weeks back, which might be ok for you (circa 650 runners, running around the lake). Though there is a half marathon on the same day, and a 10k/rBR event the day before, so the start/finish area is busy. But I ticked off your example criteria not having other runners in sight at various points. (as well as being a nice route, the natural circuit of the lake giving the route a satisfying feel)
http://kieldermarathon.com/

Or, if you wanted something more challenging, how about the jed Ultra
https://www.jedburghthreepeaksultra.org.uk/
Post edited at 13:25
OP BusyLizzie 01 Nov 2017
In reply to Wonrek:

Thank You, that sounds lovely!
OP BusyLizzie 01 Nov 2017
In reply to mav:

Thank you - Kielder sounds good.

I am very tempted by the various ultra mentioned in this thread, but I think i had better do a couple more marathons first

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...