Should I continue morning run?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshire_lad2 18 Mar 2020

I've always run in the mornings (last 20 years or so), usually 1 or lately 2 miles.  I go early (7.30am), and usually only see one or two dog walkers.  I don't think  I have any CV symptoms (granted symptoms can take a while to manifest).  I've stopped most other social contact and am home alone.  Running keeps me ticking, if I don't run, I don't function/sleep well.  I'm in a small ish Yorks Dales village.  If I don't run, I can see me getting fat, and seriously slobby.  Exercise is generally considered to be a good thing for us.  Not exercising is not generally a good thing (and I might suggest that if we see "the other side" of the CV thing, we might all be a lot more unhealthy and unexercised).  I've read that unless you're self-isolating, it's OK to go out for the shops, work and exercise.  I suppose I could run up and down my (short) flight of stairs 30 times.  What does the group think: the question is as title: "should I continue my morning run"?  If nothing else, a thumbs up or thumbs down to vote/indicate your view would suffice   Thanks.

Post edited at 10:55
 kate8 18 Mar 2020
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

I'd go for a run if I were you

r0b 18 Mar 2020

Yes!

Sam Beaton 18 Mar 2020

I'm continuing to run in the local parks but give anyone I meet a wide berth, but I have stopped running on the moors as I think that would be irresponsible at the moment due to the higher risk of incident and needing rescue and the NHS

nathan79 18 Mar 2020

As the song says "keep on runnin'"!

I'm avoiding the gym right now but I'm a few weeks into a couch-to-5k program so it's forcing me to switch to outdoor running earlier than I expected but I'm not complaining. (Even in the wind, rain and darkness of Monday night)

mrphilipoldham 18 Mar 2020

Absolutely, without a shadow of doubt.

girlymonkey 18 Mar 2020

Yes. I would say even running with others is fine as I certainly don't get too close to other sweaty people!! I met someone for a canicross run this morning and will run with our local canicross group on Saturday. With many reactive dogs in the group we are pretty good at socially distancing anyway! Lol

Ridge 18 Mar 2020

Definate yes. Just keep away from people and you'll be fine.

the sheep 18 Mar 2020

Yes, keep om going. Im off out over the fields later on when i get in from work 

Sam Beaton 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Are my dislikes due to people thinking I'm being unnecessarily cautious? Genuinely interested to know. I've also decided not to go bouldering or soloing on my own as I often do, but will happily continue to go roped climbing

afx22 18 Mar 2020

I would (and I am) but staying well clear of others.  Do bear in mind that your immune system is a little weaker for a while after excercise.  You may want to be extra cautious then.

Neil Williams 18 Mar 2020

Yes.  Walking or running alone (or with people from your household if any) is the best way to exercise during this, particularly in a rural area.  Those Governments which have banned this will have a health issue growing if they try to maintain it for any length of time.

Post edited at 12:06
Rigid Raider 18 Mar 2020

Definitely stop running, for God's sake man!  Have you not got a bicycle? You'll find it faster, more fun and less damaging to the knees.

And yes my family and I are walking and cycling as much as we fancy.

mattrm 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Sam Beaton:

> Are my dislikes due to people thinking I'm being unnecessarily cautious? Genuinely interested to know. I've also decided not to go bouldering or soloing on my own as I often do, but will happily continue to go roped climbing

I think you're being very sensible.  Honestly, I wouldn't even go roped climbing at the moment.  I mean I'm self-isolating, so I wouldn't anyway, but anything that might end up in hospital at the moment is a serious no-no in my opinion.  I guess if you normally climb a high grade and you want to go cruise VSes, then that's alright.  But I'd rather be cautious for now.

Going for a run/walk/easy bike ride seems perfectly sane to me tho. 

In reply to Sam Beaton:

You didn't get a dislike off me. But I did think your not go running on the Moors was a bit over the top. I live on the coast and plan to go running on the coast path.

Being aware and backing off a bit if you are the type who normal throws yourself down rough descents would be sensible, but I have lived and run in the lake District and Pembrokeshire for the last 30 years and have not had one injury requiring medical treatment. 

Andy Clarke 18 Mar 2020
In reply to mattrm:

> Honestly, I wouldn't even go roped climbing at the moment.

> Going for a run/walk/easy bike ride seems perfectly sane to me tho. 

I don't have any stats, but I'd be surprised if roped sport climbing is more likely to land you in hospital than road cycling.

ianstevens 18 Mar 2020

If you run you'll injure yourself, fill up the ICU single handedly for weeks, get covid and spread it to 1000 people killing 999 of them.

It'll be fine - go for it!

In reply to mattrm:

> I think you're being very sensible.  Honestly, I wouldn't even go roped climbing at the moment.  I mean I'm self-isolating, so I wouldn't anyway, but anything that might end up in hospital at the moment is a serious no-no in my opinion.  I guess if you normally climb a high grade and you want to go cruise VSes, then that's alright.  But I'd rather be cautious for now.

If you are going to, I'd suggest top-roping might be prudent.  Enjoy the physical challenge rather than the risk.

In reply to Andy Clarke:

> I don't have any stats, but I'd be surprised if roped sport climbing is more likely to land you in hospital than road cycling.

No idea, but what I would say is that going mountain biking would be a seriously bad idea, I have yet to hear of any common outdoor activity that puts more people in hospital.

Guy 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

MTBing is definitely one which could stretch the NHS resources.  Just dial back any activity so that you know you aren't going to need A&E.

Marek 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Guy:

> MTBing is definitely one which could stretch the NHS resources.  Just dial back any activity so that you know you aren't going to need A&E.

Or just dial back to an acceptable level the risk in whatever your doing. At least with off-road riding, the risk is somewhat under your control, whereas on the road you are at the mercy of careless drivers. I've certainly had more traumatic incidents while road cycling than MTBing.

Go.  Even in California where there is a legally enforced 'shelter in place' lockdown they have an explicit exemption for walking/running.  People need to stay healthy and get outdoors for exercise because this could last a long time.   The only recommendation if you go out for a walk/run in the California lockdown is to try and stay 6ft away from other people.

gavmac 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Hi Sam

Yes, my dislike was for a feeling that you are being overcautious.

I won't be publicising any climbing or running that I'll be doing but, from a general health as well as mental health perspective - I think it's important for me and others to continue to access nature and be active and adventuring. The burden of already active and adventurous folk being injured in the hills is negligible - particularly compared to the chronically ill and infirm (through inactive lifestyles). I know some will view this as selfish but I think we gain collectively from being active and outside as much as possible. The caveat around doing this sensibly - social isolation, not travelling great distances etc, of course apply.

I live in Glen Nevis. I go running and climbing in the surrounding hills every week of my life. I don't see any personal or societal benefit to changing that. 

bouldery bits 18 Mar 2020

I'll be out across the fields and down the canal. 

Post edited at 17:09
 yorkshireman 18 Mar 2020
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> Go.  Even in California where there is a legally enforced 'shelter in place' lockdown they have an explicit exemption for walking/running.  People need to stay healthy and get outdoors for exercise because this could last a long time.   The only recommendation if you go out for a walk/run in the California lockdown is to try and stay 6ft away from other people.

Same here in France - we're locked down but are allowed out for physical exercise so long as we stay close to home and don't go out for too long. I'm not going to plan any long epics for a bit but just went for a 30 minute run with the dog around the local forest - there were some parents playing with their kids in the trees but its not a situation where I'm going to physically have any contact with people.

To the OP - whether we all admit it or not, the next few weeks are going to be a period of extended low level stress at best, which will take its toll. Going for a run is probably one of the better ways you can maintain your physical and mental health during this period.

Sam Beaton 18 Mar 2020
In reply to mountain.martin:

Therein lies the problem, I'm terrible at descents on hill runs!

Sam Beaton 18 Mar 2020
In reply to gavmac:

I will go nuts if I don't continue to get fresh air and exercise. I guess we all have our own limits and I feel that running in the park and leading Severes will be pretty much risk free, but soloing anything or running down hills wouldn't be

Removed User 18 Mar 2020

Keep the running up. Just steer clear of other people.

I was out running this morning in the Peak.

fmck 18 Mar 2020

Our county had only 6 cases. Then yesterday morning a mates dad died making the 3rd death in Scotland. We live in a village and for it to drop in like this is frightning to say the least. The fact you knew the person and have been in there home ( not for many years now ) is a real jaw dropper. He was in his 80s but still. I got out of work and the kids are now out of school with me looking after them as the wife works in the hospital. 

Michael Hood 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Sam Beaton:

> I will go nuts if I don't continue to get fresh air and exercise. I guess we all have our own limits and I feel that running in the park and leading Severes will be pretty much risk free, but soloing anything or running down hills wouldn't be

Competent soloing is more risk free than incompetent leading.

Climbing has huge historical roots in promoting an individual's freedom to choose, so I don't think that we as climbers should be making blanket judgements about climbing.

The government and media will be doing quite enough of that thank you.

Post edited at 21:02
 Sam Beaton 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Michael Hood:

Those are my rules just for me. I wasn't suggesting that's what everyone else should be thinking too

phizz4 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Michael Hood:

If you stop these activites in the great outdoors that might lead to injury and increased pressure on the NHS then you are obviously going to stop driving, give up smoking, stop drinking alcohol, and, of course, no DIY, all activities that are far more likely to lead to injury/health issues and, possibly, death.

Michael Hood 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Sam Beaton:

I did wonder about that, fair enough.

colinakmc 18 Mar 2020

Park run has suspended all events and personally I wouldn’t t go running in company. But I will def continue with my 6 or 10k outings a few times a week, like other posters on here I can do that without getting close to others.

That may change with changing circumstances, there’s still only a tiny number of recorded cases in Scotland at the minute.

Roadrunner6 18 Mar 2020
In reply to kate8:

Yes, just avoid crowds. Sadly people are stupid (Americans anyway..). I just to my local mountain and it was like a party, groups skiing together (mountain is closed), big groups of hikers hiking drinking beer, summit tower was packed. Sadly I think we're going to face shelter in place laws soon because we are too stupid to be responsible with the freedoms we have.

Post edited at 23:16

I'm going to continue running. I went out last night and it was very strange and a bit eerie. Much fewer cars on the road. Smaller numbers out with dogs. The noise from the new 5 a side pitches silent.  

There were a few hardy runners out there and we simply made sure a safe distance was maintained whilst passing.

nniff 19 Mar 2020

the advice my firm is giving is to continue your routine as far as possible - get up at the same time etc.  My routine involves riding a bike into London, so now I just ride a big circular loop of Box Hill instead.

Rigid Raider 19 Mar 2020

I can't believe HMG will ever prevent people from taking exercise in a sensible way, solo.

Neil Williams 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> I can't believe HMG will ever prevent people from taking exercise in a sensible way, solo.

Of the lockdown countries it appears only Spain and China have done this.

elliot.baker 19 Mar 2020

I will be continuing to run until there are police roaming the streets telling people not to.

Even then I might wear all black and go for a head-torchless night trail run :-P haha

Phil79 19 Mar 2020

Definitely continue.

My wife was in training for London Marathon, as doesnt want to loose hard gained fitness, so will be keeping up miles as long as possible. 

I'm considering starting again now climbing wall is out of bounds......

JHiley 19 Mar 2020
In reply to gavmac:

> I know some will pretend to view this as selfish in order to get attention on the internet.

Fixed that for you.

Sure, avoid crowded places/ congregating in groups, self isolate if necessary etc. However there are too many people stretching the bounds of credibility to hold up the most improbable ways that taking part in any enjoyable activity whatsoever could negligibly impact the NHS.

Post edited at 12:36
 Neil Williams 19 Mar 2020
In reply to JHiley:

It doesn't help that Spain (in particular) has gone over-the-top in lockdown terms by banning going out at all.  This could cause a mental health or obesity crisis in itself.

A sensible line is to choose to do things where you can avoid being within 2m of anyone else other than people you live or closely interact with anyway, and where you are very unlikely to need NHS or Mountain Rescue assistance.

So a low level valley walk or run - go ahead!

And if you live in e.g. London and have a car, you're probably actually better driving out of town to run/walk in the countryside where there are fewer people than running in town.

Post edited at 12:56
XXXX 19 Mar 2020

I'm carrying on and running away from others but I'm being much more cautious about running ill. I feel a bit coldy right now so not going out as aggravating a nasty asymptomatic version of cv by overdoing it must be a risk. Also am not pushing my mileage or pace to prevent tiredness and keep my immune system happy.

Roadrunner6 19 Mar 2020
In reply to XXXX:

That’s a concern. I’m tempted by a 45 mile FKT but I’ll be immunosuppressed after.

George Ormerod 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

You're probably right about very long runs / lots of speed sessions, or big mileage increases, but I think the overwhelming consensus that 'easy' aerobic exercise is good for the immune system.  I imagine 'easy' for you is probably a vomit inducing tempo session for me

Which FKT by the way?

climbingpixie 19 Mar 2020
In reply to George Ormerod:

Fastest known time (I think)

OP: definitely carry on running. The PM's announcement the other day about cutting out non-essential travel specifically excluded getting out for exercise so it seems like the govt appreciates the importance of people trying to keep fit and well. AIUI obesity is a major risk factor for Covid19 complications so anything to combat the WFH biscuit binges is good.

bouldery bits 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> That’s a concern. I’m tempted by a 45 mile FKT but I’ll be immunosuppressed after.

Yep. I think big efforts are unwise at present. Easy miles here. Base. 

In reply to climbingpixie:

> Fastest known time (I think)

Ha! I know, I wondered which one.

JuneBob 19 Mar 2020

I'm looking for the lightest decent running treadmill at the moment. Thinking to buy one before all the panic buying! And I'm not panic buying of course

Roadrunner6 19 Mar 2020

https://fastestknowntime.com/route/taconic-loop-ma-ct-ny

This one, there's a few out western mass which look good days out.

https://fastestknowntime.com/athlete/iain-ridgway

I'm slowly building my list.. It's a cool distraction at this time.

In reply to Roadrunner6:

Excellent thanks.  Enjoy.  I enjoyed Jennifer Pharr Davis's book about the big trail FKTs.  I might look for a local soft touch!

Roadrunner6 19 Mar 2020

It's a good thing to do now especially, I'm feeling a bit goaless having trained for so long for Boston so this is just giving me some interest until it all calms down and I can pick races again.

Peter's always open for new ones, some get added which I think should just be a strava segment but long ridge and national/regional trails are always worth adding. It's a great resource he's creating. Strava segments are fun but they have an annoying habit of not picking up trail segments, plus not everyone wants to use strava or runs it in the same style.

gavmac 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Totally fair.

I should also add that my climbing partner is well, also my partner. So that takes meeting another person external to our house out of the situation.

I think the point about not posting on social media is really important. It will reduce fomo, it will respect those who don’t agree and it will help in dissuading folk from travelling.

As government, Mountaineering Scotland etc advice evolves or changes- I will respect that.

You should go for a run in the morning, but make sure you make enough distance from other runners (if there any).

I also walk everyday evening for the last 1 year, I am feeling very sad because I cannot go for the walk now. But you are running for 20 years I can understand it's hard to control yourself.

Wow! Thanks for the comments: 86 thumbs up at the time of writing, and no thumbs down.  That a pretty clear indicator.

As is reflective of the times, things have moved on and we now have:

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/pm-address-to-the-nation-on-coronavi...
one form of exercise a day - for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household;

and I've started a separate thread on how far/long constitutes a run, walk, cycle.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...