Saunders

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nic Barber 01 Jul 2021

Anyone doing the Saunders this weekend from Buttermere?

Been feeling a bit off all week but hopefully perking up now for a solo Scafell. Forgotten what I normally take on a MM! Will definitely not be as light as I can be, for ease more than anything, but light enough. Couple of beers booked in for the overnight.

If anyone asks 'which way do you think we're going' the answer is 'up'

Herdwickmatt 01 Jul 2021
In reply to Nic Barber:

Sadly I cancelled my place early in the year. Sort of gutted but really not feeling the race vibe at the minute.

You must be a good bet for a win though? 

Dave Todd 01 Jul 2021
In reply to Nic Barber:

YES!  My first MM.  Running with my son (age 15) so that should be interesting...

Lots of embarrassingly new kit and a distinct lack of skill / preparation.  Should be ace!

Post edited at 19:14
In reply to Dave Todd:

I did the OMM (back when it was the KIMM) with my Dad when I was 16. I learned a lot from those experiences. Suspect I threw my rattle out the pram more than once, but learned a very valuable life lesson - the deep and gratifying fulfilment of type two fun.

The Saunders would be a far better intro, as the wintry weather throughout the OMM makes for a somewhat savage introduction.

Enjoy it though - I hope you both have a blast (and maybe even some type one fun too)!

OP Nic Barber 01 Jul 2021
In reply to Dave Todd:

Enjoy! Always good to see the parent/child combos at the SLMM. 

Don't skimp on the food, vaseline or suncream!

greg_may_ 01 Jul 2021
In reply to Nic Barber:

Wife won the household draw to race last year, so she is racing this weekend - while I get to entertain a 4 year old. 

Bah.

Marek 01 Jul 2021
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> The Saunders would be a far better intro ...

Possibly, but I always enjoyed the KIMM more than the SLMM. The Lakes are just too familiar, too many paths, whereas the KIMM so often took me to places (literally and metaphorically) to which I'd never been before.

Dark-Cloud 01 Jul 2021
In reply to Nic Barber:

Yep, I’m there, typically the weather looks set to break, hoping it’s cooler but could do without it raining at mid camp, spoils the atmosphere a bit

ablackett 01 Jul 2021
In reply to Nic Barber:

I'm racing with Fran, we have somewhat optimistically entered Kirkfell, which will be a big day out for us both.  Anyone know the etiquette if it all gets a bit thunder stormy half way through the day?

Dave Todd 02 Jul 2021
In reply to Nic Barber:

Cheers Nic - suspect the suncream may not be needed...

Dave Todd 02 Jul 2021
In reply to Nic Barber:

Anyone know how dry the streams on the fells are at the moment?  Hoping not to carry too much water, but we've had quite a bit of dry weather recently.

In reply to Marek:

> Possibly, but I always enjoyed the KIMM more than the SLMM. The Lakes are just too familiar, too many paths, whereas the KIMM so often took me to places (literally and metaphorically) to which I'd never been before.

Don't get me wrong, I love the rough terrain too, but as a 16 year old looking to give it a first go - the Saunders would offer a much more conventional experience. In addition to this, at the age of 16 it was all pretty new to me - hence it didn't really matter whether it was in the Lakes, Galloway or Kielder - because none of it was even vaguely familiar!

Dark-Cloud 02 Jul 2021
In reply to Dave Todd:

They should be OK, there was a decent about smaller steams last weekend around Kentmere/Longsleddale areas, however i'm not overly familiar with the Buttermere area though so not sure if there is much water higher up anyway

I just start with 500ml and hope something turns up, 2019 in the Howgills was pretty bad though, there was people fighting over muddy puddles...

Simon2005 02 Jul 2021
In reply to Nic Barber:

Yep, I'm going with the Mrs. Our first MM - never too old at 65 and 63. Looking forward to it.

greg_may_ 02 Jul 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> I just start with 500ml and hope something turns up, 2019 in the Howgills was pretty bad though, there was people fighting over muddy puddles...

I came close to heat stroke on day 2 - spent 10 mins in a tarn trying to cool down at one point

ro8x 05 Jul 2021
In reply to Nic Barber:

I was there this weekend and it was my first taste of mountain marathons and I bloody loved it! 

Learned quite a bit for next year and already looking forward to it. 

OP Nic Barber 07 Jul 2021
In reply to ro8x:

Good stuff newbies Rob and Simon. Glad you enjoyed it - not too hot, a bit of rain and a bit of clag to make sure you got a taste of proper MM conditions. 

Never quite got going on day 1's tour of the crappest climbs and descents of Borrowdale and surrounds, but had a better day 2. First time I've done a solo MM, much more room in a 1.5 man tent when there's not another sweaty beggar to cuddle up to!

ro8x 20 Jul 2021
In reply to Nic Barber:

Entered the OMM on the back of the success of the Saunders...what could go wrong

Dark-Cloud 20 Jul 2021
In reply to ro8x:

7 hours of heather bashing then 12 hours in a tent in the lashing rain with several teams being extricated from mid camp with hypothermia, then the start gate on Sunday being in a bog (i'm sure this was on purpose) that was my first experience of an OMM !

Post edited at 13:06
 ro8x 21 Jul 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Sounds 'exciting'! I can't wait

ro8x 16 Aug 2021
In reply to Nic Barber:

This arrived in the post at the weekend. what a fantastic prize!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...