Sabrina Verjee - Wainwrights attempt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dark-Cloud 08 Jul 2020

Couldn't see a thread topic on this but if you want a bit of dot watching then this should be a good one to follow

https://live.opentracking.co.uk/sabs0720/?fbclid=IwAR14gaRpdoOeUXKVjlXBU9v2...

coldfell 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

She is one awesome woman!

OP Dark-Cloud 08 Jul 2020
In reply to coldfell:

Yep, she is.

r0b 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Apparently her schedule is for 6 days flat to break Paul Tierney's record of 6 days and 6 hours. She is a few minutes up on her schedule at the moment.

Mick r 08 Jul 2020
In reply to r0b:

> Apparently her schedule is for 6 days flat to break Paul Tierney's record of 6 days and 6 hours. She is a few minutes up on her schedule at the moment.

Whereabouts is the schedule?

Harry Jarvis 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Mick r:

> Whereabouts is the schedule?

If you follow the live tracking, select the splits option. The ETAs are given, along with actuals. 

bouldery bits 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

This is class!!!!

Roadrunner6 08 Jul 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

I saw it started to kick off on the Grough Facebook last night about the wisdom of this now. TBH its small group and outside. The main issue would be rescue but that's unlikely.

Didn't she delay her attempt anyway?

How does the long term weather look?

Post edited at 14:18
OP Dark-Cloud 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Weather doesn't look too bad, bit of rain Friday/Saturday, other than that it looks to be pretty good running conditions

Roadrunner6 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

That's pretty good, as long as its not prolonged rain or extreme heat. Impressive to even start these things.

elliot.baker 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

This is amazing.

mountainbagger 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Wow, I didn't know she was doing this! Thanks for the link, awesome!

sg 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

That is a bonkers route map! For low-grade dot watchers like me with limited experience of straightforward, broadly unidirectional routes like the Spine race, this is really taking the sport to a whole new level. I'm not sure whether only having one dot to follow makes it easier or harder to gauge the situation at a glance but I'll be persevering. Maybe I just need a bigger screen. Good luck to her anyway, hope the weather plays fair and thanks for the link.

OP Dark-Cloud 09 Jul 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Only 35 mins down on schedule at the moment, but must have been a rough night as came into Troutbeck around 2.5 hours down so has taken much less rest than scheduled, hope that doesn't work against her later on.

CathS 09 Jul 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Looks like she took some rest out on the fell shortly before Troutbeck. 

So pleased to see that she got through what must have been a grim night and is now making up time.  And an easier section coming up from High Street to Martindale.   The next scheduled rest isn't until 3:40 am tomorrow at Glenridding though!

OP Dark-Cloud 09 Jul 2020
In reply to CathS:

Hadn't spotted that, looks like she must have stopped at the Kirkstone road crossing after Troutbeck Tongue

CathS 09 Jul 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Looks like she got a bit bogged down and lost time between Tarn Crag and Branstree, but starting to get a better pace again now that she's back on firmer ground.

ablackett 10 Jul 2020
In reply to CathS:

She's a couple of hours behind her schedule, but on track to take the  record by a few hours on Sunday morning before 0904.

sg 10 Jul 2020
In reply to ablackett:

Unbelievable. If she can avoid dropping much more time against her schedule across the Skiddaw group overnight she must be in with a good shout. Weather looks set fair; fingers crossed.

Ridge 10 Jul 2020
In reply to sg:

Its a lovely evening, looks to be a bit of cloud on top of Skiddaw but the rest if the group are clear.

r0b 10 Jul 2020
In reply to Ridge:

She's been holding steady at 2.5 hours down on her schedule most of today.

For extra dot watching, Kim Collison is going for the Lakes 24 hour record tomorrow!

https://live.opentracking.co.uk/kimlakes20/

sg 10 Jul 2020
In reply to r0b:

Hmm, aiming for 145k+ and 12k+ vertical in 24 hours, seems perfectly reasonable. WTF! Following these monsters on a laptop is all very well but it doesn't half make you feel inadequate. Well good luck to both of them. Do you know which way Kim's route goes - they won't pass each other will they?

elliptic 11 Jul 2020
In reply to sg:

Looks like they passed about a mile apart, Kim crossed the Skiddaw House track at 4:30am on the BG line while Sabrina was having a 40 minute stop heading in the opposite direction above Whitewater Dash.

On the current timings they'll meet again around midnight on Causey Pike, long way yet though!

elliptic 11 Jul 2020
In reply to sg:

Sabrina took another hour and half stop at Dodd Wood and looks to be digging deep now on the road section to Binsey, so the record might be slipping away unfortunately.  Really hope she's still got the momentum to finish it off anyway though.

Kim meanwhile is 25 minutes up on schedule through Langdale and going like a train it would seem.

airborne 11 Jul 2020
In reply to r0b:

And next up... John Kelly is going for the pennine way on Monday!

Ridge 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Not looking good, Sabrina seems to be dropping off Whinlatter to Lorton, rather than heading for Grisedale Pike.

Edit. Sorry all, seems to have been a tracker glitch, just jumped back on course heading up to Grisedale.

Post edited at 20:46
 elliptic 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Look like Kim's taken Fleetwith instead of Haycock as his extra top - wonder why he changed his mind?

Michael Hood 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Ridge:

She's either having a good rest before Rannerdale and the last section or she's had to give up. Hopefully the former, in which case although she won't get the record, a sub 7-day should still be on. Still mightily impressive.

Ridge 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Michael Hood:

She's still plugging away! Hugely impressive!

Tonto 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Ridge:

What an astonishing display of mettle, looking at the splits I suspect she is plumbing the depths of her reserves but still relentlessly fighting on. Stick at it Sabrina.

OP Dark-Cloud 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Tonto:

Yep, still plugging away, she’s slowing significantly now by the looks of thing which is understandable!

Hope she can hold it together for the finish.

airborne 12 Jul 2020
In reply to airborne:

Apparently Kim Collison has the 24 hour record - amazing, that’s another long-standing record gone. 

Ridge 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Looks like she had a rest at Newlands. She's over Robinson and Hindscarth, and once over Dale Head it's going to be psychologically easier. Downhill all the way to Keswick (apart from the uphill bits).

Tonto 12 Jul 2020
In reply to airborne:

A phenomenal feat of athleticism-well done Kim

elliptic 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Ridge:

Last one ticked off for Sabrina. It really is downhill all the way to Keswick now

Tonto 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Ridge:

Despite your amusingly random approach to topography-can she beat Joss Naylor's time?

McHeath 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Tonto:

Yes! She currently has over 8 hours left to complete the last 3-4km and stay under 7 days 1 hour. 

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

It’s in the bag, around a k to go, obviously hurting looking at the last spilts but what an effort!

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

And she’s back in 6 days 17hrs 51mins, amazing effort!

Tonto 13 Jul 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Sans doubt an absolutely outstanding achievement, stunningly resilient performance-well done to Sabrina. 

Roadrunner6 15 Jul 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Did you see she’s saying she didn’t do the record. Thinks she used too much support from her helpers when injured.

“It’s not a record”

To the fell running community,

I set off on my schedule that would see me challenge the overall Wainwright’s record. Things were going well but a few days in and my right knee became agonisingly painful and swollen. I needed assistance down Clough Head to the Old Coach Road – I had to lean on little Dave to take the weight off. At this point I realised that I was not going to be on a record pace and that it was going to be a struggle just to finish but I was committed to finish.

I did what I needed to do – have my knees strapped up and took some painkillers and struggled on through the rest of the summits. However, there were other points that I required assistance – I had to descend backwards down Carl Side to Dodd Wood and to do this I held onto 2 supporters to guide me down between the rocks. There were a few more descents where I had to lean on my supporters and I think that this allowed me to descend far quicker than I would have on my own. I visited every summit and made the entire way on my own efforts with every step taken by myself but having to lean on supporters to descend is not appropriate for taking a record. I certainly would not have tried to claim another’s record by using these methods.

I completed the Wainwright’s round to my own satisfaction but I do not wish my attempt to be ratified or acknowledged by the FRA or any other claiming some right to the Wainwrights. I do not claim any record for this achievement. However, I do look forward to taking on the challenge again in the future.“

that’s incredible honesty.

Post edited at 15:47
 Harry Jarvis 15 Jul 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

What a splendid attitude! 

OP Dark-Cloud 15 Jul 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Thanks, haven't seen that. 

I think she can still claim it though, not many people would see a problem with any of that!

Ridge 15 Jul 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> Did you see she’s saying she didn’t do the record. Thinks she used too much support from her helpers when injured.

It seems to have caused a bit of consternation. A few runners have commented that it's a technicality, she wasn't carried or driven in a vehicle, so there's no reason not to credit her as the first woman/third fastest finisher.

Michael Hood 15 Jul 2020
In reply to Ridge:

It's not a race, it's an achievement. If "adjudication" for record purposes is required, then I think the people who are best placed to decide are the other people who have completed this challenge.

Roadrunner6 16 Jul 2020
In reply to Michael Hood:

It’s really down to her. I’m presuming she doesn’t feel it right in herself.

its hard to imagine it made that much of a difference. Maybe just put an asterisk that there was some physical assistance.

still it’s immensely impressive to undertake such an undertaking.

Michael Hood 16 Jul 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

The sleep deprivation required to get these records is quite impressive. Just been reading some of John Kelly's accounts of the Berkeley marathon and him just falling asleep anywhere towards the end and trying to choose the most uncomfortable spot for a quick snooze so that it didn't last too long.

Tonto 16 Jul 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Hello,

Where did that information come from please-I couldn't see a link to anywhere/source

Mike

OP Dark-Cloud 16 Jul 2020
In reply to Tonto:

> Where did that information come from please-I couldn't see a link to anywhere/source

Fell Runners UK Facebook group

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...