Running with your arm in a sling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 George Ormerod 13 Feb 2020

Due to a pathetically mundane injury (shoulder subluxation) that has probably put the kibosh on rest of the ice climbing season I have to have my arm in a sling for a week or so.  Is running with this a really dumb idea?  The shoulder seems fine, well immobilised and pain free with some test jogs.  But does running with one arm change your form and could it lead to lower limb injuries?

girlymonkey 13 Feb 2020
In reply to George Ormerod:

My guess would be that it changes your form, whether that would have any huge effect in terms of injury risk for a week I couldn't say. I think it would feel odd.

Dave the Rave 13 Feb 2020

Potentially yes, as well as head injuries if you fall and can’t get your hand out. 

Dr.S at work 13 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

i can confirm that it does feel odd.

tried after elbow luxation, and also after some shoulder issues - unpleasent both times.

Roadrunner6 14 Feb 2020

I've ran with a few broken arms. Not so much in a sling for long but in a cast. On longer road runs it was an issue, just the unequal weighting. I tried a 100k and ran ok for 20 miles, but for 10 miles struggled with a hip issue which I think was due to the imbalance on that side.

I found rougher trails were better because you run less uniformly and so the weird imbalance was less of an issue.

Ciro 14 Feb 2020
In reply to steelbru:

That's pretty astonishing.

Mind you, it's not the only thing he's done that I wouldn't try to copy 😁

In reply to steelbru:

Jesus. I’m a lightweight. He even reduced his dislocation himself - when I fully dislocated my arm it took 4 people and a good dose of the drug that killed Michael Jackson (as the doctor kindly told me as I was going under). 

I think I might just leave it for a few days and just go hiking. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...