Running Waterproof

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 echo34 24 May 2021

My OMM Phantom hoodie is in need of replacement for this summers races, so just looking for recommendations for waterproof running jackets (or expensive bin bags). 
I’ve been looking at the Montane Podium, Minimus Ultra Stretch, also tempted by another phantom or the new kamleika (although seems quite heavy).

any thoughts on these options or anything else worth a look? 

plyometrics 24 May 2021
In reply to echo34:

Whilst I’m afraid I can’t offer a useful alternative, I’d discourage you from getting a Kamleika. 

My original version was an amazing jacket and lasted ages. I’ve had another 2 subsequently which, in short, have been shite. 

Terrible build quality, cuffs falling apart, leaking and very, very easily snagged. 

Shame, because that used to be the go to choice for many people.   

Post edited at 18:38
 andyflem 24 May 2021
In reply to echo34:

Ron Hill/Mountain Equipment “shakedry” Goretex jacket. Very expensive impulse buy on my part but in my view a superlative item and worth the money. It does the job brilliantly and feels like a real special piece of kit

DaveHK 24 May 2021
In reply to plyometrics:

> Whilst I’m afraid I can’t offer a useful alternative, I’d discourage you from getting a Kamleika. 

> My original version was an amazing jacket and lasted ages. I’ve had another 2 subsequently which, in short, have been shite. 

> Terrible build quality, cuffs falling apart, leaking and very, very easily snagged. 

> Shame, because that used to be the go to choice for many people.   

>  

2nd this, they're garbage now.

Wheelsy 24 May 2021
In reply to echo34:

Berghaus Hyper 100? I've only just got into running so can't compare it to anything else, but the 50,000 MVTR seemed to be much greater than everything else when I was looking at which one to buy. I'm really happy with mine, just need to take care of it because it is pretty thin.

Dark-Cloud 24 May 2021
In reply to echo34:

I’m in the market for something too, I have a Salomon Bonatti Pro at the momen but hasn’t got a wired or draw cord hood which is annoying, I was thinking about the Minimus, Alpikit Gravitas is worth a look too.

Sad to hear about the OMM jackets as my Mrs has the older model which appears bombproof and pretty warm as a bonus.

Post edited at 20:06
 SFM 25 May 2021
In reply to echo34:

Have a look at the Inov8 Stormshield jacket. I’ve used mine in pretty rank conditions and been impressed. It’s easy to wear and haven’t had much in the way of moisture build up when using. Previously I used an older version of the Marmot Essence jacket. Not a running jacket per-se but still did the job well. 

girlymonkey 25 May 2021
In reply to echo34:

I have just got a decathlon one from what appears to be their new running range, evadict. I haven't used it yet so can't comment on that but fit seems ok for me, hood is ok, nicely compact and a good deal cheaper than some of the others. 

joe.91 25 May 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Second for that, I've got both and they are excellent for the price. Only negative is the jacket hood does not have a drawcord. The pants are fantastic, size a bit small though. I'm normally a small in ME, etc and in Evadict I'm a medium. 

JuneBob 25 May 2021
In reply to anyone:

How can you tell if it's a good jacket?

Whenever I go running I sweat, and everything just ends up soggy. I have no idea if my jacket isn't keeping the rain out, or if I'm wet from sweat.

My jacket (OMM Aeon Jacket) keeps the wind out, and that helps me stay warm, even though I'm wet. 

Ridge 25 May 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I found tightening the elastic on the headband and wearing a very lightweight peaked cap (OMM) solved the issues with the Bonatti hood.

It is an annoying issue with what I've found to be an otherwise good jacket.

Nic Barber 25 May 2021
In reply to echo34:

It depends what kind of waterproof you're looking for:

- A lightweight job to fulfill kit requirements and keep off a shower on an otherwise lovely sunny day.

- Something a bit heavier that would actually keep you warm, dry and comfortable on a fairly nasty day.

Lots of things may be sold as waterproof but the word covers a multitude of price points and functionalities.

Justaname 25 May 2021
In reply to echo34:

Depends what you're after. I have an oldish OMM Kamleika as an everyday trainer, its pretty good but the drawcords are awful, easily replaced mind. The peaked hood is a bit soft but otherwise well designed. I don't know what their current offerings are but a couple of experiences of other OMM products leads me to think that their design / testing department has been on holiday.

After finding that it leaked during heavy downpours I've upgraded to a Haglofs LIM Paclite jacket, which feels more substantial and along with my experience of other Paclite Jackets, seems to be waterproof, despite not always breathing properly. Again the hood is let down by a soft peak which is useless in the wind. A peaked cap worn under the hood makes for an excellent storm solution for both jackets.

If I had the money I'd probably buy a lightweight set of waterproofs for racing where the forecast is either good or the race is short. For long races with a bad forecast I'd definitely take the Haglofs.

Nic Barber 25 May 2021
In reply to Justaname:

+1 for Haglofs. I have a Gram Comp goretex jacket (~300g), bought in a sale in 2015 (£125 down from £250. It wets out a bit now (but all jackets do eventually) but I still trust it with the worst of winter weather. The hood on mine is fantastic - an amazing piece of engineering that feels like it's hardly there - be disappointed if their hood engineering had gone downhill.

I also have an OMM Halo jacket as my lightweight/race jacket (~110g.) I have used it in naff conditions (DNF'ing off Swirl Howe in cool drizzle after injuring myself in the Duddon race) and for a light jacket it performed very well - kept me warm whilst walking downhill for a couple hours down to Seathwaite. Of all the super-lightweight jackets I've seen and fingered (not worn many but often peruse shops) this seems to be the most 'useful' on the hill.

For me the best option would be to go into a running shop and have a good feel of the material and properly assess if you think it will do what you want it to do. You may find cheaper on line but, buy cheap, buy twice.

Dark-Cloud 25 May 2021
In reply to Ridge:

Yeah I normally run in cap anyway, i'm not convinced to the waterproofness of it but for keeping the sweat in an wind out it seems pretty good.

99ster 25 May 2021
In reply to andyflem:

> Ron Hill/Mountain Equipment “shakedry” Goretex jacket. Very expensive impulse buy on my part but in my view a superlative item and worth the money. It does the job brilliantly and feels like a real special piece of kit

The Goretex Shakedry fabric is incredible technoloy.  Yes - it is expensive - but it does exactly what it says.  Completely waterproof, but breathable and very lightweight.  Has changed the way I approach running outdoors.

TMM 25 May 2021
In reply to 99ster:

How does it stand up to washing? My trail kit tends to get pretty muddy at the rear and combined with the uffle after being worn for a few hours the jacket needs a clean. I've found that has damaged the DWR finish as well as the membrane on a few jackets I've used for running.

Roadrunner6 25 May 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

> 2nd this, they're garbage now.

Oh no I love mine. But mine is years old now.

99ster 26 May 2021
In reply to TMM:

There is no membrane, and it never needs re-proofing.  Just rinse it under the tap - and shake the water off.  It really is that good.  If it was tougher material it would be the ultimate fabric for all out door activities - but because it's a single layer I would never risk it climbing, or from the wear of a big rucksack on the shoulders.  But that's not what it's meant for.  Used for running or cycling - then it's the ultimate waterproof shell.

TMM 26 May 2021
In reply to 99ster:

Thanks that. Sounds great. Might need to size up to keep the race vest under it.

dovebiker 26 May 2021

I have a Montane Minimus Ultra and an OMM Kamleika - no real comparison between the 2, I can happily run in the Montane and still feel warm and dry, not so with the Kamleika.

I also have a Gore Shakedry insulated for winter cycling - the fabric really is awesome and 100% waterproof - watching the pouring rain bead on the surface is amazing. If I was buying another running jacket the fabric would be my choice.

Dark-Cloud 26 May 2021
In reply to dovebiker:

You rate the Montane then ? This is on my shortlist.

How robust is the shakedry, would it cope with a race vest over it for hours in an ultra ?

mountainbagger 26 May 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> You rate the Montane then ? This is on my shortlist.

> How robust is the shakedry, would it cope with a race vest over it for hours in an ultra ?

Good review here: https://www.northernrunner.com/blog/ronhill-shakedry-jacket-review/

mountainbagger 26 May 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> You rate the Montane then ? This is on my shortlist.

> How robust is the shakedry, would it cope with a race vest over it for hours in an ultra ?

Good review here: https://www.northernrunner.com/blog/ronhill-shakedry-jacket-review/

dread-i 27 May 2021
In reply to echo34:

Has anyone used the Ultimate Direction Ultra jacket? It seems to have high breathability and some good features.

I'm considering this, the Montane Minimus stretch or the inov8 Stormshell.

KrisNash 27 May 2021
In reply to mountainbagger:

I wear a Gore shakedry jacket, sized up so that it fits over my vest, even when filled up for an ultra.

Fantastic protection even in the worst of weather, but packs down to nothing 

misterb 27 May 2021
In reply to 99ster:

Is it not just scrim lining and membrane laminated to that, with no face fabric layer?

If it had no membrane it wouldn't be waterproof would it?

OP echo34 03 Jun 2021
In reply to echo34:

Decided to go with the Montane Podium. What’s the general consensus on sizing running jackets? I’m slightly between sizes with montane, M fits but is a little tight in the arms and chest large is better but a little baggy at the body. Worth the slight oversize for easy access etc? 🤔 my old OMM was quite a close fit and a bit of a faff to get on.

greg_may_ 03 Jun 2021
In reply to echo34:

Depends if you need it to go over kit or not! I've a small and a medium jacket for this purpose.

Small for short races where I'm starting with it on, or training, or in the bag for summer races. Medium where it is in the bag and might go on over my race vest.

neuromancer 03 Jun 2021
In reply to misterb:

I dunno who downvoted this bloke but shakedry absolutely is a membrane. It just does away with the other backer fabrics. 

Get off the kool-aid. Shakedry is great for cycling, not so much when you might encounter bushes or thorns. 

Id recommend the alpkit gravitas. Bit small around the shoulders tho (had to sizen up but ended up with a baggy body) - so if you were a good fit it would be ace. 

That said I also counsel the wisdom of an actual waterproof for running. Unless you're running over 12hrs and need to keep dry, nearly every time a windproof is a better choice. 

Being wet isn't an issue, being cold is.

HardenClimber 04 Jun 2021
In reply to echo34:

It is nice if there is enough room to roll / push the sleeves above your elbows.

oceannash909 04 Jun 2021
In reply to echo34:

Dynafit Alpine 2.5, very breathable and very suitable for summer stuff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...