Running vests for women

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mountainbagger 11 May 2021

Hi everyone!

It's my wife's birthday soon and she's doing a trail marathon in July, so thought I'd get her a running vest.

She's size 8-10 for regular clothes. She's slim, not tall/not long in the torso.

Does anyone have any recommendations for running vests or perhaps bumbags if that's a preference.

I use an Ultimate Direction vest which I like but not sure if women may prefer other makes/models.

Thanks!

Toby_W 11 May 2021
In reply to mountainbagger:

My wife is an 8-10 and loves her Ultimate direction.  She chose it as it was the only one that went small enough.

hope that’s useful

Toby

Dark-Cloud 11 May 2021

Ultimate direction have a women’s range I think ?

What size vest (storage) do you want as that will make things easier to decide

misterb 11 May 2021

Women's osprey dyna , bought the wife one last year having bought the duro men's version for myself. Maybe not as light but very very comfortable

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Ultimate direction have a women’s range I think ?

> What size vest (storage) do you want as that will make things easier to decide

Storage doesn't need to be much, just enough for couple of cereal bars, possibly a tiny pacamac, and a phone. Mainly want it as a comfy way of carrying drink in soft bottles.

In reply to Toby_W:

> My wife is an 8-10 and loves her Ultimate direction.  She chose it as it was the only one that went small enough.

Thanks, what size vest did she get?

girlymonkey 11 May 2021

The thing I didn't like about the ultimate direction women's vests was that the spaces for the soft flasks sit right over your boobs. I have barely any boobs, but I still found it really uncomfortable. I know others who don't seem to mind, but that was my experience of it. 

I use a Montane Via. I really like it. Mine is the 14l one, but they do various sizes. I am a size 8 - 10 and it fits perfectly. It only has one softflask pouch at the front but it sits under my boobs so nice and comfy

In reply to girlymonkey:

> The thing I didn't like about the ultimate direction women's vests was that the spaces for the soft flasks sit right over your boobs. I have barely any boobs, but I still found it really uncomfortable. I know others who don't seem to mind, but that was my experience of it. 

> I use a Montane Via. I really like it. Mine is the 14l one, but they do various sizes. I am a size 8 - 10 and it fits perfectly. It only has one softflask pouch at the front but it sits under my boobs so nice and comfy

Ah thank you so much. This is very helpful and the main reason I was asking without specifically asking!

girlymonkey 11 May 2021

I was amazed when I was looking that many of the women's ones didn't seem to take this into consideration. I don't know whether I am unusual in finding it uncomfortable! I know some women who don't use the soft flasks so it doesn't matter to them. 

Whatever you get her, as long as you keep the receipt she can always change it if it doesn't suit. 

In reply to girlymonkey:

https://www.montane.com/womens-c15/equipment-c32/packs-c39/montane-womens-v...

Is yours like this one? In one of the pics you can see the front. Does the soft flask go in the pocket at the bottom of the strap?

Thanks!

girlymonkey 12 May 2021

Yes, mine is the bigger one but the front is the same. The long pouch on the bottom of the right shoulder strap is where the flask goes. 

kathrync 12 May 2021

I have a Harrier vest. I really like it, but it's the only one I've had so I can't compare to others.The vests are unisex, but it's a woman who runs the company and designed them. The flasks sit quite high - on me the bottom (soft) part of a flask sits over my boobs but I don't find that uncomfortable. The cap is well out of the way, up by my collar bone. I like the fact that I can drink from them without taking them in and out of the pockets.

I suspect the exact positioning of flasks and so on is quite individual though and trying a few for size might be your best option.

climberchristy 12 May 2021

The Montane Via packs can be set up brilliantly for two flasks. Email me if you want an explanation and I can show you how to do it. They are amazingly comfortable packs btw. (Although as a bloke I have no boobs so cant comment on female specific fit!)

dread-i 12 May 2021
In reply to kathrync:

I've just ordered one of those. Its yet to arrive, but I have high hopes.

My moobs are a perky A cup, so I dont have issues with flasks. However, for the ladies out there, Salomon do, or did, soft flasks that are angled. I presume there are other brands that do similar.

https://d2lfsu1qnyxzxu.cloudfront.net/product-media/QVL/1000/1000/LC1083000...

Dark-Cloud 12 May 2021
In reply to dread-i:

The Harrier vests are good value for money but I find mine incredibly sweaty and they are not good when full as is pushes the back panel out, but as I say, for the money they are good, fine for training which is what i bought it for but i would want something a bit more refined for running a long event with.

kathrync 12 May 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> The Harrier vests are good value for money but I find mine incredibly sweaty 

I haven't had this problem, but I tend to run cold. I'm usually more concerned about staying warm than about overheating

Lakeslina 12 May 2021

I use an Ultimate Direction Jurek FKT vest in a size Small. I use soft flasks in the front pockets as I find they slosh less than the hard bottles it comes with, but I found it very comfortable to wear with either. It's unisex, but fits really well in the small size.

Dark-Cloud 12 May 2021
In reply to kathrync:

It may just be me and in fairness i do run pretty hot, usually have sweat dripping off the peak of may cap within 15 minutes...

Post edited at 13:08
 kathrync 13 May 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Or possibly we are both outliers at different ends of the spectrum

The real point was that the degree to which different people find different vests comfortable is quite personal and the OP may be best to leave the choice to his wife. 

In reply to kathrync:

> Or possibly we are both outliers at different ends of the spectrum

> The real point was that the degree to which different people find different vests comfortable is quite personal and the OP may be best to leave the choice to his wife. 

I think you're right but I'm going to gamble on a purchase (I'll keep the receipt!) as it's for her birthday and I'd really like to get her something other than a voucher. At least I already know what she thinks of my Ultimate Direction vest (the chest strap goes across in exactly the wrong place)!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...