Running (training) books

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
edsned 03 Oct 2012
is there a particular book that's repeatedly recommended as an introduction to sensible running training?

I'm gently easing into off-road running after many years of competitive cycle racing (more bang for your buck when kids mean limited available time), so I'm no stranger to basic training ideas, just not running specific.

I've heard the Lore of Running by Noakes as being mentioned? any good?
 StefanB 03 Oct 2012
In reply to edsned:

> I've heard the Lore of Running by Noakes as being mentioned? any good?

It's a very good, but now slightly out of date reference. Not so much a book for obtaining fixed training plans, but to obtain the knowledge to work things out for yourself.
I personally like Mat Fitzgerald's books: "Brain Training" and the more recent "the mind body method of running". For something more traditional many people swear on Jack Daniels.
 Sharp 03 Oct 2012
In reply to edsned: Running Well by Murphey and Connors is a well written, reasonably comprehensive and up to date one to look out for.

The art of running faster is less comprehensive but an excellent book.
 Banned User 77 03 Oct 2012
In reply to edsned: Running formula and Noakes are good..
jolivague 03 Oct 2012
In reply to edsned:

It's geared towards serious distance running but Relentless Forward Progress is excellent
ruttingstag 03 Oct 2012
In reply to edsned: i enjoyed "feet in the clouds" and "ultra marathon man"
but they were more for inspiration than training ideas.
In reply to edsned:

Lore a great book. Written by an MD who is a runner so it is very informative and well referenced. Recommended.
edsned 04 Oct 2012
Thanks all - I'll look into these
 wbo 04 Oct 2012
In reply to edsned: When was Noakes last updated, as it is getting on in years (my copy is from 1990). There is some very interesting stuff, but how much of it is transferrable to a daily routine for a beginner is arguable.

Paul Atkinson 04 Oct 2012
In reply to edsned: Noakes is good for reference but not really a guide/manual. I think the Runner's World book The Runner's Body is a very good place to start
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Runners-Body-Exercise-Science-Stronger/dp/160529861...
For off road running the imaginatively titled Off Road Running by Sarha Rowell is also very good but quite basic
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Off-road-Running-Sarah-Rowell/dp/1861265239
In reply to wbo:
My copy is the 4th Edition updated in 2001. Don't know if there is a more up to date edition. It's a very cerebral book so maybe not for a beginner as there is a lot of information to digest. The most complete book i've ever read on running and probably the only book you'll ever need to read as a runner.
rgbritton 22 Nov 2012
In reply to edsned: I'll second "Relentless Forward Progress", easy to read, enjoyable sections with info from top athletes and some pretty pictures.
 thedatastream 22 Nov 2012
In reply to edsned:

+1 for "Running Well"
 The New NickB 22 Nov 2012
In reply to edsned:

As it is off road you are doing, Sarah Rowell's book, Off Road Running, is probably worth looking at.

I am a fan of Matt Fitzgerald's books, you may have seen Racing Weight mentioned on these forums, but the book I would recommend is called Run: The Mind-Body Method of Running by Feel, despite the title it is not full of mumbo jumbo and has lots of interesting stuff on how we can run better.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...