Running shoes for mud

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hooo 30 Apr 2020

I know nothing about running shoes, so please bear with me.

I started running 5k once a week on the road to get fit for an alps trip. I never enjoyed it, but it was much more effective at getting me fit than cycling so I stuck with it. After a while my knees hurt, so I bought a pair of £15 running shoes from Decathlon and they've been fine ever since. Since lockdown I've started running near home through the woods and fields and I'm really enjoying it, it's a totally different experience. I'm doing around 15k, and my routes are an an equal split between tarmac, gravel tracks and fields/woods. My cheapo shoes were fine until today, when I went out after rain and slipped everywhere on the off road bits. This is not fun any more! I think I need some better shoes.

TLDR:

I'm looking for some shoes with good tread for mud that are also OK on the road. Well cushioned for my knees. Not worried about weight, not going to be going fast. And of course, I have to buy them online

Any tips? 

girlymonkey 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Hooo:

I recently got some On Running cloudventure on eBay second hand. I really like them. When on more technical trail, I love my inov8 ones, but they are less padded.

But, just like climbing shoes or harnesses etc, it's got to be first and foremost about fit. 

AdrianC 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Hooo:

I was looking recently with a similar wishlist and bought a pair of Hoka One One Torrents.  They seem to have met the requirements so far.  Grip's pretty good, padding good and they're quite light.

Link here but no doubt you'll find them cheaper elsewhere.  https://www.hokaoneone.eu/en/ie/men-trail/torrent/1097751.html

mrphilipoldham 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Hooo:

I’ve always used Adidas Kanadias, ok on the road (for a non-road runner, anyway!) and brill on trails/mud/gravel/grass etc and usually available pretty cheap if you shop around. Just clocked up 700 miles in my current pair and they’re starting to tear a bit at stress points and one lace is close to snapping but they’ve probably got another couple of hundred miles in them yet! 

OP Hooo 30 Apr 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

They sound ideal, thanks. And they're nice and discreet looking too. A bit sad that it bothers me but I'd hate to look like Mr All the gear and no idea as I plod along . £46 delivered from Footway, anyone head of them? 

OP Hooo 30 Apr 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Unfortunately fit is the one thing I can't do anything about right now. I'm just going to have to take a punt.

Le Sapeur 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Hooo:

What about an old pair of golf shoes? Not so good for the road bits but shit hot on mud.

OP Hooo 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Would I have to wear silly trousers too?

I can't imagine golf shoes are much good for running in. I've got approach shoes that would be better than that!

wbo2 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur: Not very good for running...  what's the going rate for Nike Pegasus trail?

Bear in mind anything that's usable on the road will be a compromise on mud.  You can go all in with very minimal mud/trail shoes if you want but for most people it ends badly so live with the compromise.  I just looked thro' the sweatshops online site, saw some decent options.

Bear in mind that if it will soon be summer , so less mud, more dry dirt.  Also, if you do keep getting muddy it doesn't hurt to stick them in the washing machine.. stops the uppers rotting.

Le Sapeur 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Hooo:

Sorry, should have put a smiley face at the end of the post.

Bouldering Ben 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Hooo:

You need trail shoes with extra grip for the mud. The difference was night and day when I switched from my normal running shoes

girlymonkey 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Hooo:

What walking shoes or boots do you find fit really well? That might give people an idea of fits to compare to. Then, once you have an idea of ones which might work, I would try to pick some up second hand on eBay or Facebook marketplace. That way, if they are not right, you haven't lost as much money!

OP Hooo 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

I wasn't quite sure if it was supposed to be a serious suggestion

OP Hooo 30 Apr 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Well, La Sportiva Trangos fit well, but I can't see how that helps! The trouble is I have zero experience with the whole field of running shoes, so I can't give an example of something that fit well.

elliot.baker 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Hooo:

I just today ordered my second pair of Asics Gel Sonama GTX's (or something like that).

from the Asics Outlet they are £51 down from a bit more than that - they are waterproof.

I bought a pair Black Friday before last from the Asics Outlet at Bicester Village and they've been absolutely fantastic, can't rate them enough, and they've been exceptionally waterproof. In 100s of outings my feet have only got wet once when I completely submerged them! Bought a new pair cos I think I've worn down the padding in the first pair over 18 months or whatever it's been.

p.s. you can get 6% cashback from Top Cashback on the Asics Outlet too.

https://outlet.asics.com/gb/en-gb/gel-sonoma%E2%84%A2-4-g-tx/p/1011A210-600...

elliot.baker 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Hooo:

I just today ordered my second pair of Asics Gel Sonama GTX's (or something like that).

from the Asics Outlet they are £51 down from a bit more than that - they are waterproof.

I bought a pair Black Friday before last from the Asics Outlet at Bicester Village and they've been absolutely fantastic, can't rate them enough, and they've been exceptionally waterproof. In 100s of outings my feet have only got wet once when I completely submerged them! Bought a new pair cos I think I've worn down the padding in the first pair over 18 months or whatever it's been.

p.s. you can get 6% cashback from Top Cashback on the Asics Outlet too.

https://outlet.asics.com/gb/en-gb/gel-sonoma%E2%84%A2-4-g-tx/p/1011A210-600...

girlymonkey 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Hooo:

So my thinking was that if someone else gets on really well with trangos too then maybe their suggestions on running shoes would work for you as your feet might be similar.

Or maybe you could say if you have wide or narrow feet, or anything else notable when you are buying shoes?

OP Hooo 30 Apr 2020
In reply to elliot.baker:

I had not even considered waterproof running shoes. Don't your feet boil in them? I've always found GTX pointless in any shoe lower than a mid height as they always end up getting water in the top and my feet sweat so much they are soaked anyway. And they take ages to dry.

OP Hooo 30 Apr 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Hmm. I see what you mean. It could work.

Wee Davie 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Hooo:

https://m.moremile.co.uk/footwear.html

For mud, these are the boys. Great performance and cheap as chips too.

I don't think there are any road usable shoes that are any good on proper clag.

Post edited at 20:54
 girlymonkey 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Hooo:

Yep, that is my feeling on goretex. Waterproof shoes are never my choice!

dread-i 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Hooo:

When you say 'mud'... We all have a different idea of what constitutes muddy. From your description, it sounds like your on wet footpaths or trails, so you probably need trail shoes. They are good compromise for road and trail. For proper mud, where you sink ankle deep or it goes on for ever, or you'll slide downhill on your arse; you need fell shoes.

Checkout sportsshoes.com. They have a sale section. You can filter on type and get some bargains, if you're the right size.

angry pirate 30 Apr 2020

I'd second this. My running days are over (arthritis in my spine) but I wore Kanadias for trail running for years and continue to use them as approach shoes. They are great on grass and mud!

Andrew Lodge 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Hooo:

> Well, La Sportiva Trangos fit well, but I can't see how that helps! The trouble is I have zero experience with the whole field of running shoes, so I can't give an example of something that fit well.

If you get on well with the Trangos a pair of La Sportiva trail shoes may well fit as well.

I have a pair of La Sportiva Bushidos and rate them very highly.

elliot.baker 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Hooo:

Loads of people say this to me - and another common thing I've heard is that they're useless because when they do get water in them they won't dry out, but in 18 months of wearing them - including running all through winter across absolute bogs following flooding, across the peaty bits of Kinder, in pouring rain - my feet have only ever got wet when I've fully submerged them in water and that was entirely my choice and I've only needed to do it once - normally you can at least tip toe across stepping stones or a shallow bit and then they keep you dry where normal trainers wouldn't.

If you compare this to the countless number of relatively deep (say, as deep as the top of flat bit of your foot) puddles that I've ran through at full pelt, or wet tall grass, and retained completely dry feet, knowing that any normal (non-waterproof) trainers would have instantly given me wet feet for the remainder of the run  - I don't get it why people aren't clamouring for waterproof trainers.

I think waterproof trainers are amazing - I wear them down to the shops if it's hammering it down, or if I'm going round a country park with the family as well (dry dry dry dry dry!)

Asics actually make a waterproof version of my road Asics trainers I was contemplating getting them for road running in the rain as well.

Sorry I am quite passionate about waterproof trainers. lol

girlymonkey 30 Apr 2020

I find normal trainers, with lots of mesh, a bit too sweaty! And I regularly run through mud, snow and water up to my ankles so no point in puting up with sweaty feet if they don't do the job the rest of the time! I am fine running with wet feet, you are moving fast enough not to get cold.

OP Hooo 30 Apr 2020
In reply to dread-i:

Thanks. I was wondering what the difference between trail and fell shoes was. Definitely trail shoes for me, nothing too serious at all.

PFitz 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Hooo:

Build quality on these is unbelievably good, for all out winter mud prefer mudclaws, but for mixed terrain these are fab:

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/sco7/scott-kinabalu-trail-running-shoes...

1philjones1 01 May 2020
In reply to Hooo:

What size are you? I’ve just put a pair of good condition Inov8 roclite 295’s on Marketplace for £30. Size 11. Can send you pics if they’re the right size.

Michael Hood 01 May 2020

I now run in ASICS GTX-1000s after a couple of pairs of normal GT-1000s. They're great especially when you can just run through puddles, etc (puddles in Manchester, who'd have thought that) although they're no good on mud, which is what you'd expect for road shoes.

I only got them because I found a pair online cheaper than the normal ones but my next pair (of GTX) is waiting in the box for the current pair to (very soon) wear out.

For real mud (when orienteering) I've got some Inov-8 Mudclaws which are also great.

SouthernSteve 01 May 2020
In reply to Hooo:

I like my Speedcross 5. They are too narrow for some, not flat enough for others (10mm drop) and are not so great on wet rock (what is), but they do the job and have decent sized lugs which are bigger than the previous version. 

mrphilipoldham 01 May 2020
In reply to Hooo:

Yes they're discreet.. sort of! The last small fell race I did I had an older female entrant have a purposefully loud moan to the friend she was walking with about people not wearing proper fell shoes, whilst looking my way. I don't think she realised that I'd beaten her by about 15 minutes and without falling over once in the process. 

OP Hooo 01 May 2020

That sounds like the beginners who wander round Harrisons with helmets on and have a go at those guys who belay by just holding the rope in their hand. Even though the latter clearly know what they're doing. 

I've ordered a pair of Kanadias. They get great reviews everywhere, I just hope they fit.

Thanks everyone.

Neil Williams 01 May 2020
In reply to Hooo:

> That sounds like the beginners who wander round Harrisons with helmets on and have a go at those guys who belay by just holding the rope in their hand.

Not quite on-thread, but I did see that but didn't see them actually catching a fall, let alone without rope burns.  A waist belay or even a shoulder belay I could understand (and I've done the former), but just holding the rope in your hands?  It'd work for a 5 year old I suppose.

And if the answer is "but he won't fall off", why not just solo?

Wouldn't have a go as it's none of my business, but it does make my mind boggle.

Post edited at 14:39
 greg_may_ 01 May 2020
In reply to AdrianC:

I too have some Torrents, got them for longer runs on trail rather than pure fell.  Experience in the mud is that they are OK. Nowhere near the grip of a Mudclaw, but about the same as an X-Talon. Bonus being that they are very light and comfortable.

But you'll more often find me running in VJ iRocks - excellent shoe, especially on rock.

OP Hooo 01 May 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

I've seen them fall off loads. They really can hold falls with no problems.

Removed User 01 May 2020
In reply to Hooo:

I was until recently hunted by a pack of bloodhounds cross country Inov8 mudclaws were the business now I just run on muddy footpaths and a bit of road with my 2 dogs and I find Inov8 roclites are the shoes to wear comfortable and light I have covered marathon distance with no problems.

steveriley 01 May 2020

On the other hand I once managed to beat a clubmate in road shoes who 'fancied giving the fells' a go. He's a 78' half marathoner ...I'm definitely not

Good luck with the Kanadias, look like a bargain. My current 'trail shoes that handle a bit of tarmac' are Trailtalons. Like em.

Neil Williams 01 May 2020
In reply to Hooo:

> I've seen them fall off loads. They really can hold falls with no problems.

Fair enough, as long as they can!

mountainbagger 01 May 2020
In reply to Hooo:

Decathlon do off-road shoes too. I used them for a while. About £35-£40 for a pair. So, you get what you pay for (more or less) but they were fine for low mileage.

The comfiest pair of off-road/mixed terrain shoes (so ok for some tarmac too) I had though we're Hoka Challengers.

Edit: just seen you've already plumped for some kanadias. Never tried them but I'm sure they'll be fine, as long as you got the right size and you don't have massively weird shaped feet!

Post edited at 21:36
 PFitz 02 May 2020
In reply to Hooo:

Last couple of pairs of running shoes my son has had have been Kanadias - feet still growing - he’s loved them and they are perfect for what you are looking for

LJH 02 May 2020
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Would second that. For bad mud I haven't found anything better than speedcross. They get overlooked a bit now as been around for years, so can often find at decent price too.

I think it's the very smooth spiked sole that makes the difference, they shed the mud quicker than most sole units.

Ps: terrible on wet rock and roads tho!

Post edited at 19:41
 mbh 02 May 2020
In reply to Hooo:

I have really liked the Brooks Cascadias I've been using for mixing up trails and roads. I especially like that they are still in reasonable shape after nearly 700 miles. One of the things that is very hard to tell when you buy a pair of shoes is how long they will last. Some, even expensive ones, start falling apart soon after 100 miles. Which makes them very expensive.

The New NickB 02 May 2020
In reply to LJH:

Plenty better than Speedcross on (or should at be in) mud, including both mudclaws and x-talons, but I've owned a few pairs of Speedcross and they suit a lot of situations. To be honest, it doesn't sound like the OP is looking for a heavy mud shoe, more the sort of thing that deals with the sort of trails that can be run in road shoes when dry, but have a bit of surface mud when wet. Most mid tread trail shoes will probably do the job.

The New NickB 02 May 2020
In reply to mbh:

> I have really liked the Brooks Cascadias I've been using for mixing up trails and roads. I especially like that they are still in reasonable shape after nearly 700 miles. One of the things that is very hard to tell when you buy a pair of shoes is how long they will last. Some, even expensive ones, start falling apart soon after 100 miles. Which makes them very expensive.

I picked up some Cascadias cheap a few years ago, I quite liked them, but the uppers got utterly destroyed on a run in the lakes, to the point that they were virtually falling off my feet, got less than 100 miles out of them. Maybe bad luck and I certainly know about the problem with Speedcross uppers, but disappointing.

mbh 03 May 2020
In reply to The New NickB:

Hmm. I've had the same disparity of experience with someone on here, but the other way around, with whichever Wave this-or-that model of Mizunos it was I was wearing before I gave up on them.

mountainbagger 03 May 2020
In reply to mbh:

> Hmm. I've had the same disparity of experience with someone on here, but the other way around, with whichever Wave this-or-that model of Mizunos it was I was wearing before I gave up on them.

I've got some Cascadias which I've had for ages, they're annoyingly still in very good condition...I can't justify buying new trail shoes but I do find them a little bit too stiff. Are yours a recent purchase? Just wondering if newer models are lighter and a tad more flexible.

mbh 03 May 2020
In reply to mountainbagger:

>Are yours a recent purchase?

No more than a couple of years ago, maybe less. I guess the weight of them is a design compromise that helps longevity (unless you go where Nick goes). 

Stiff as I am these days, well mostly, I worry less about the finesse of my shoes.

The New NickB 03 May 2020
In reply to mbh:

It was descending to Kentmere from the Garburn Pass that did it, the rocks just sliced open the uppers. I had run it a few weeks before, with no problems, but I can't remember what I was wearing.

wbo2 03 May 2020
In reply to The New NickB:

If it's any consolation I once destroyed a pair of rock shoes in one day - so hot they warped and changed shape .

Re. any earlier comments. uppers falling to bits is annoying... I have a pair of Hoka challengers.. the midsole is fine, the upper developed holes very quickly and I remember ALtra at one point had uppers falling to pieces in <100 miles for some people.  

Saucony peregrine is a very nice shoe, or at least the version my son used was.  Not the most extreme trail shoe in the world, but totally suitable for a lot of people

mountainbagger 03 May 2020
In reply to wbo2:

> I have a pair of Hoka challengers.. the midsole is fine, the upper developed holes very quickly

Yes, this happened to both pairs I had. Possibly 200 miles in. But terrain was 50% - 70% trail/park/North Downs, and the rest roads. Could still wear them for a while after they first got holes.

> Saucony peregrine is a very nice shoe, or at least the version my son used was.  Not the most extreme trail shoe in the world, but totally suitable for a lot of people

I might try these next time. A friend has them and they might be ideal for the sort of trail running I do, which includes sections of tarmac, grass, mud, tree routes, gravel, but nothing rocky.

mbh 03 May 2020
In reply to mountainbagger:

>> Saucony peregrine is a very nice shoe

They are on my radar too. I've just bought a pair of Saucony Guides that were on sale for road and like them already.

On the longevity thing, for road at least, someone I follow on Strava recently did a streak of 20 x 20 miles, all in the 7s or better, and he hasn't since dipped below HM distance. Never misses a day and he's usually back in before most people are out of bed. He uses Saucony Kinvaras.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...