Running Shoe Research Continued

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
laurenmcginley 22 Oct 2020

Hey guys, thank you to everyone who completed my previous survey, it was very helpful. I have another couple questions I was hoping to get some help with. This time it is more to do with injuries caused by running shoes?

Have any of you had a really bad experience with your running shoes as they've came closer to the end of their life? Does anyone suffer from Achilles tendinitis or Plantar fasciitis? Can you tell me a little more about this experience?

Any responses would be very helpful, TIA

David Riley 22 Oct 2020
In reply to laurenmcginley:

I have had failures with Inov8 shoes tearing at the junction between flexible and more rigid sections of the upper shoe.

Achilles tendinitis has been a problem for me since March when I embarked on a project to convert my running style from rather flat footed, to toes at all times.  Probably it will take two years for the tendon to strengthen completely.  It would be interesting to try some very small shoes with a circular sole and shaping around the toes, rather like wearing a horse's hoof.

laurenmcginley 22 Oct 2020
In reply to David Riley:

That sounds like it could be very sore. How long did you wear the shoes before this problem began?

girlymonkey 22 Oct 2020
In reply to David Riley:

> I have had failures with Inov8 shoes tearing at the junction between flexible and more rigid sections of the upper shoe.

Yep, me too. Long before there is any significant wear on the soles. I wondered if it was just my foot shape, but maybe it's a standard problem?

David Riley 22 Oct 2020

Nothing to do with the shoes.  Just greatly increased force on the tendons.

David Riley 22 Oct 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Yes, pairs of virtually new shoes.  Not merchantable quality really.  Should have sent them back.

As a manufacturer I find it quite worrying to note that people don't complain.  Silence from customers does not necessarily mean my products are working properly.

girlymonkey 22 Oct 2020
In reply to David Riley:

I don't buy new shoes, they are all second hand (but usually having been only used once or twice and people can't return them because they are used). I get them on ebay or facebook. So having no proof of purchase or exact mileage for them, I don't feel I can return them. 

I have returned other things, just in the process of returning a bike frame bag who's zip bust very quickly, but as I bought it new I can do that.

David Riley 22 Oct 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Returning is good for the world.

steveriley 22 Oct 2020

Back when I used to road run more, sore knees would usually be the cue to replace shoes. Less of an issue with trail/fell shoes. They're less cushioned by nature and I always trash the uppers first.

Removed User 23 Oct 2020

I'm damn sick of uppers that last so well even after the inner sole gets shot, then having to explain to my wife why I need another new pair of shoes when the shot ones still superficially look so good.

Some sort of changing indicator for miles like those toothbrushes that fade white would save my non-running wife and her credit card a lot of grief.

Ridge 23 Oct 2020

Most runners will suffer from various niggles, particularly us 'more' mature types. I'm unconvinced that it's primarily due to 'worn out' trainers, and (IMHO) is usually due to upping mileages too quickly, doing lots of hills or muscle weakness (and been too lazy to keep upwith remedial exercises).

Also changeing running styles or switching to shoes with different drops also puts stresses in different areas. Road shoes can begin to feel harsh as they wear out, but it's not so noticible if you do most of your running off road.

Looking at the replies above, most runners are more worried about the uppers falling to bits rather than injuries (inov 8 aren't unique in this), apart from waitout, who seems to be heavy on the soles.

artif 23 Oct 2020

Not end of life but new. Despite being into many sports, I could never get on with running. I would buy the "best" comfortable running shoes etc and without fail, end up with serious ankle injuries. It was only when in my 40s I read Born to run and tried running barefoot or with minimalist shoes, did I find out I could actually run for any distance, without injury.

All the padding and soft soles in so called running shoes would put my feet in the wrong position (even when just walking).

Walking/climbing boots present a similar problem but less so, if they don't have soft sole padding as in approach/lightweight hiking shoes. I always remove any insoles etc but the heel rise is still problematic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...