Running routes Campsie/ Fintry hills

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DR 10 Apr 2018

I'm moving to north of Glasgow in a month from the Lakes and want to keep up with the fell/ trail running without having to drive too far. What are the Campsie and Fintry hills like for running? Any good routes to recommend?

Ta,

Davie

NeilP 10 Apr 2018
In reply to DR:

Some nice short routes up The Whangie, Dumgoyne & Lairs/Cort ma Law. All can be incredibly boggy though. The run up Meikle Bin from Carron Valley is a wee bit longer & on some good forest paths. Fair bit of trail running in that area. I don’t have much experience of the Fintry Hills, sorry. 

There are a few bigger hills within easy reach like Ben Venue & Ben Ledi.

Post edited at 18:25
 Elsier 10 Apr 2018
In reply to DR:

I used to live in Glasgow, there's lots of great hill running nearby. In the Campsies Dumgoyne, Earls Seat and Cort Ma Law are all good runs. As well as the Whangie and Duncolm hill from Old Kilpatrick. There is also a nice run up Croy Hill and the Antonine Wall near Kilsyth.

Further afield you've also got the Luss Hills and the Trossachs.

Ben Lomond and the Arrochar hills are also doable for an evening after work run in the middle of Summer with the light evenings.

Highly recommend the Westerlands who are a very friendly fell running club in Glasgow. Their website will probably be a good place to start for route ideas too. 

jjmacewan 12 Apr 2018
In reply to DR: 

If you are on Facebook look for the Carron Valley Trail Runners, good friendly bunch of people from that side of Glasgow, running that way regularly and further afield.

An area not mentioned so far is the Ochils, depending on where you are not too far away for some great running(and a lot less boggy than Campsies!).

Check out Westies and also my club Ochil Hillrunners, we do regular Tuesday runs, some up in The Trossachs. If you into racing check out the Bog and Burn series of races.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...