Running Poles for Sore Shins

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thelostjockey 04 Jul 2021

Hello runners, just after some advice about running poles.

My friend gets sore shins when running downhill. I thought some running poles might help. However, I wonder if people find they catch on things and can lead to tripping.

If you think running poles are a good idea, what brand and type would you recommend? 

Thank you for your time and advice.

wbo2 04 Jul 2021
In reply to thelostjockey:

Has he  tried more cushioned shoes?

##Edit to explain - obviously this has chuff to do with the poles, but you need to cover the basics first.

Post edited at 13:38
 yorkshireman 04 Jul 2021

You need to learn how to use them and they can be awkward in single track without enough space. However I think your friend has to consider that their sore shins have an underlying cause that poles won't fix.

I've got the Black Diamond Z collapsible poles. They're light and easily stowable and w ould recommend them but they're. It height adjustable so you need to buy the right size. 

Post edited at 13:35
 greg_may_ 04 Jul 2021

Address the underlying issue - either conditioning or technique. Don’t mask it with another piece of kit.

FWIW, I find poles exceptionally useful going up on very steep terrain. But next to useless running downhill. Walking, sure fine. Running, no.

wercat 04 Jul 2021

could his feet be over flexing? 

wbo2 04 Jul 2021
In reply to wercat:  Could be any number of things.  

Marek 04 Jul 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

I'd second the opinion that your friend should look at the underlying cause of his/her shin pain rather than hope to mask it with poles. Shin pain and shin splints are usually a symptom of muscular imbalance in the lower leg.

As for poles, they are really useful in all sort of situations, but running downhill is most definitely not one of them!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...