Running out of steam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

...as the title suggests...

My running has been pretty decent recently (for me) with more miles,  feeling fitter, no niggles etc. I ran my 1st HM distance for a while on Sunday and no major issues afterwards.

Ive just been out for a 10k which started really well. I felt fit and bouncy with plenty in the tank but 4 miles in started to fade quickly. What Id hoped for 7:40 ish min/mile end up at 7:52.

For the experienced runners what is the best technique for maintaining the speed over middle to longer distances.

Nic Barber 11 May 2021
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Only 2 days recovery from your 'first HM in a while' - you'll still be recovering from this. Is 7:40 pace normally 'hard' or 'comfortable'. You don't want to be running too hard too often.

Also don't focus too much on paces or hitting paces, focus more on how you feel (which obviously here you did feel).

Other than that, make sure you're well fueled before (so you can execute) and after (so you can recover) a run.

Post edited at 14:17
 PPP 11 May 2021

Sub-8 pace for 10K for someone who can just about hit HM distance is pretty good! It won’t win you races, but shows you have potential.

For training, focus on easy running while increasing the weekly mileage. Heart rate monitor (the chest strap one) can keep you modest but just running at a pace where you can complete full sentences is a good indicator. 
Then mix in harder efforts, such as intervals or tempo runs once a week, with a relaxed longer run as well. 

There’s plenty of resources online or books, but just loosely following a, let’s say, 10K training plan will make you a more consistent and stronger runner. I would strongly suggest reading at least one modern book on training - that will transform your thinking, training and results. Depending on your goals, I might be able to recommend some resources. 

summo 11 May 2021

An old legend called Bruce Tulloh used to advocate 1 days easy training, for each mile raced. So if your HM was a max effort, take it easy for up to two weeks. 

Invest in a HR monitor, learn your zones. Most of the time using a HR monitor will slow you down, as trying to run faster all the time won't help you improve long term. 

Post edited at 15:28
 tlouth7 11 May 2021

I agree that 2 days is a pretty short recovery time after a long run.

Additionally, endurance and speed are different things and you basically have to train them independently. The trick to maintaining a fast pace over increasingly long distances is to do increasingly long fast runs! So you might start by running 6km at threshold pace, then 6.5, then 7 etc.

You will find that these tempo and/or threshold runs make your long runs feel easier at any given pace. Raising your aerobic threshold means that a given slower pace becomes more efficient (roughly). This should allow you to run further before running out of energy, but won't necessarily mean you can run further before reaching your muscular endurance.

The New NickB 11 May 2021

If you are just starting to get back in to the longer runs they will probably require a bit more recovery. Don’t worry about quite a high proportion of your runs being easy paced. Building your base is what is important at the moment. I’m assuming 7:40 is steady effort pace rather than race pace. Save race pace for races, unless you are looking at a specific speed session with shorter intervals.

Thanks for the replies folks.

To qualify, there is no particular aim other than 'improvement'. This could be across a number of indicators - weight loss, increased miles per week (I'm up to 23 this week and add 1 mile per week where possible), increased speed and increased endurance.

I would love to get back to my pre-injury capabilities - 5/6 years ago which was 21mi 5km, 43 min 10k and 1.36HM although time isnt on my side I realise - 45 - but I suffered badly during a HM and have a 15cm mesh in my groin holding bits together.

Im enjoying the running at the moment but dont want to get bored by simply doing my usual runs in the usual way. For those I follow in the UKC Strava club, it seems some of you have some great running on your doorstep.

I listened to my body - yesterday was a bit aching but today felt good - but the last thing I want is another injury as I get really grumpy when I cant run but I feel really good when I beat a segment or do a route a little quicker than last time.

Post edited at 16:18
 DaveHK 11 May 2021

>  I felt fit and bouncy with plenty in the tank but 4 miles in started to fade quickly. 

I find this to be the norm when I haven't fully recovered. I feel great for a bit then crash. The crash makes sense, the feeling great bit less so!

Roadrunner6 11 May 2021

Run more. Up the mileage. More 75-80 min plus runs. No need for long really but as many of those MLR runs as possible, they build that CV engine.

Also more LT sessions. Basically your 1 hour pace but for 25-30 minutes broken up into 1-2-3 mile chunks with 1 min rest per mile ran. So 4 x 1 mile, 1 min rest between each one.

Also don't forget 200 - 400m workouts. Fast running helps you be more efficient.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...