Running in the rain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 18 Jan 2013
I'm going to be doing a lot more running this year to and from work and to the wall in the evenings. Mainly distances between 2 and 5 miles.

Just wondering what people do when it's pouring down with regards to shoes/socks. My does are just road trainers and I wear some running socks with them. Are waterproof socks like seal advisable?

I just don't fancy ending up with manky feet and blisters. Any tips are welcome.
Jamming Dodger 18 Jan 2013
In reply to James Malloch: Have a read of some suggestions here:
http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=527080&v=1#x7092525
 sarahjk 18 Jan 2013
In reply to James Malloch: Sealskins are cr@p IMHO. Might work for a short time, then just nasty. I would recommend having 2- pairs of shoes, rotating drying them slowly [ie not on radiator] and good wool socks. You will get wet.

Could try goretex shoes and ankle gaiters. But they dont drain and cost a pretty penny.
 Banned User 77 18 Jan 2013
In reply to James Malloch: 2-5 miles.. wouldn't bother with anything.. just normal trainers.. normal socks.. shorts if its not too cold..
 AdrianC 18 Jan 2013
In reply to James Malloch: The worst thing about wet feet is the antici...

...pation. You'll be fine with normal socks.
 Simon Caldwell 18 Jan 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

What Iain says.
Sealskinz are good for long days in very cold conditions, but OTT otherwise.
 Banned User 77 18 Jan 2013
In reply to sarahkeast: I like sealskinz.. your feet do get wet but they stay warm... there are also newer thin running ones.. but I wouldn't wear them out for just 30-40 min runs..
 jmerrick21 18 Jan 2013
In reply to James Malloch: I just wear normal socks and trainers, heat from your feet generally makes then feel fine. Top tip: don't wear a rough synthetic top during heavy rain, the extra weight in the fabric causes major joggers nip (only time i ever had it)
 goatee 18 Jan 2013
In reply to James Malloch: Personally I just don't get the Gore Tex thing in runners. I do a fair bit of trail running and the last thing I want is a shoe that is supposed to keep water out but ends up only keeping it in. Use normal running socks and shoes that will drain really well. I actually like running in the rain and find it refreshing. Also running through big old puddles of water, while it can be a bit chilly is also really soothing for the feet and calves.
OP James Malloch 18 Jan 2013
In reply to James Malloch: Thanks for the replies. I might just man up and get on with it then!

I forgot to say in the first place, but it was also the fact it'd be running to work, then running to climbing, then running home. So about 10 miles a day split into 3 parts. It was the thought of putting wet things on that didn't thrill me...
 The New NickB 18 Jan 2013
In reply to James Malloch:

Just invest in lots of pairs of running socks, so you can always put a fresh pair on. Your feet will be fine as long as you shower or bath every day.
 StefanB 18 Jan 2013
In reply to James Malloch:

Decent socks, that don't soak up the water and running shoes that drain well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...