Running goals or plans for 2020

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wainers44 30 Dec 2019

With new years resolutions time upon us, how about running targets for the new year? Want to share any particular races entered, classic routes planned (BGR anyone?), or just training targets set to drag you out of bed at silly o clock?

For me only one race entered in the new year so far, Arc50 on the coast path. Main target is to run regularly enough to stay injury free...hopefully!

What about you lot?

SouthernSteve 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

As last year to keep running injury free and for as long as possible, but last year was a disaster for actually getting to the start-line. Small injury worries once, work several times and proper flu for LIAD (for which I had recce'd the whole route and trained most of the year!), stopped me racing. 

So GL3D, Coniston Marathon, Grand Tour of Skiddaw and LIAD are on my list, although I haven't signed up for GTS yet.

Mark Collins 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

A few years ago a beginners article on here got me thinking that perhaps I could do fell running in some capacity. Since then I've been out and about enjoying the countryside. Just before Christmas I ran 12 miles, the furthest I've ever run. So since then and with my brother announcing he's going to attempt a marathon, I thought I might have a go as well. Weightloss and improvements in my diet are also helping. So far I'm finding this very exciting, time will tell I guess.

Best of luck with your ambitions and thanks for posting 🙂

girlymonkey 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

The year just gone has ended up being unexpectedly running focussed for me, resulting in me doing a little hill running these last few months. Running a Munro seems like an obvious progression from here. Last week I ran a 600m hill in the ochils (200m ish car park, so 400m ascent), so I have a fair bit of work to do to get there! 

The other obvious aim is to stay injury free, I guess that is always everyone's aim!

Michael Hood 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

Well I managed this year's running target, which was to run all my regularly timed runs faster at 60 (late May onwards) than I had at any time in my 50s.

Mainly achieved by weight loss plus some effort.

Not got a particular running target for 2020 except to try and be similarly "speedy".

But the better running had a noticeable improvement on my orienteering, and I managed to get my ranking points (best 6 events in last 12 months) above 7000. So I do have a target there, which is to have all (6) of my ranking scores over 1200. Effectively this would mean my ranking points would be about 7240+.

That's quite a tough ask which would put me in the top 5% of old farts 😁. This probably means I'll have to do some longer courses which means more suffering 😨

ghalat 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

2019 was my best running year unexpectedly. I've entered the Edinburgh marathon as my first ever marathon. Expecting sub 4 hours (half marathon pb 1.45 but felt I could have knocked a few mins off this if I'd paced it better) but a friend I'm running with pushing for a 3hr30 target which will be really tight.

Would also like to hit 20min 5km and 45min 10km again - been 5-10 years since I've been this quick. Managed to get to just under 21min 5km and 45.30 10km before spending 6 weeks ill

Post marathon in May I'll be reverting back to bouldering as primary aim.

RX-78 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

Well the Wildest Peaks is fast approaching and then a half marathon in March but afterwards I will be taking a break. I injured my foot in November and I although I took a month off from running it still does not feel totally ok, so a longer rest is planned.

petemeads 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

Joss Naylor challenge, to mark 30 years since just scraping round the BG. And sub-24 mins for parkrun...

Gone for good 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

Finally got round to committing to the Loch Ness Marathon . I'm targeting a sub 3.30 time which would be 6 minutes better than my PB. Other than that, I will continue the running club race series and hope to win my age group (55 - 60) after just missing out last year.  Finally, I've not run Park run for 6 months and want to start again and get back to 20 minutes or therabouts for the 5k. I find Parkrun quite motivational and helpful with speedwork.

Post edited at 09:41
In reply to Wainers44:

Ive had a stinking cold for 6 weeks so have not run a step, which is irksome. I gave myself a break for crimbo in the end as it wasn't shifting, and still isnt 100%.

Next year though.

-700 miles plus

-A few races, probably local 10ks

-Get my 50 parkrun t-shirt

Ive put myself under too much pressure this year and through injury, illness or work trips (3 to the US and one to the middle east which kills me during and for a week after with jetlag) have ended up disappointed. I just want to enjoy the running, lose some flab and be healthy.

The New NickB 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

2019 has been a terrible year for me running wise. A couple of long periods of illness led to loss of fitness and work pressures and a couple of other issues also reducing opportunity and motivation.

I become a V45 in a couple of weeks and would like to win a few age category prizes. I will be concentrating on getting my fitness back and probably 5 and 10k races. With targets of sub 18 and sub 37. Got a few weekends planned running in the hills and will be doing some parkrun tourism, but racing wise it will probably just be local road events, very much concentrating on time.

PPP 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

It’s been a good-ish year for me. I did my first marathon at 3:23, the training was strong (albeit felt a bit tired at times), I lost some weight (77kg down to 67-68kg right now) and enjoyed the running. 

The plan for 2020 is to do more trails (already done some longer runs, up to 22 miles). I suck at uphills, even if I think of myself as predominantly hillwalker these days. Longer distances and uphills are the focus. Hitting 2500 miles would be nice, but I don’t want a measure to become a target. 

Signed up for Glentress Marathon (February), Kielder 50K (April) and Cateran 55M (May). It’s a bit aggressive start, but wanted to do Cateran and found prep races to help immensely. 

Roadrunner6 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

2019 was pretty good for me so hopefully build on that.

Run at least 3000 miles, 20 races. I ran 3250 miles this year and 20 races started but DNF'd one of them as I was injured at the time and it was clearly still an issue.

Sub 2:45 in the fall.

Sub 1:20 half

Sub 1:00 10 miler.

Sub 17 5k.

We've twins due in April so the main thing is just stay injury free and enjoying it. Boston should go OK but they will be here by then.

In reply to ghalat:

If you can run a sub 21 5k, you really should be able to run a fair bit quicker than 45 for 10k. Sub 43 should be possible, without any improvements to your 5k. Do you find yourself tiring excessively and slowing down when you run beyond 5k? Runnning longer stuff for the marathon may help with this.

yorkshireman 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

2019 for me wasn't especially bad, but just wasn't spectacular. I ran my lowest mileage in years (just under 2000km) and managed a 65 and 85km ultra with no worries. Redundancy and house move meant motivation and energy were often lacking.

The big goal for 2020 is to get my mileage up, and tick off a proper mountainous 100 miler. I did one on the Jurassic Coast last year but have entered UTMB and waiting to hear if I get in. If I don't get a place, I'll probably run UT4M or Echapée Belle, as they're both on my doorstep.

Other than that, its about enjoying trails, and trying to do well in my age category in the small, local trail races. I'm aiming to add in strength training and yoga as my flexibility is atrocious.

ghalat 30 Dec 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

To be honest I've not tried a flatish 10km when really going for it. The 45.30 one was uphill for most of the first half albeit not steeply before flattening out. I was running the second half faster than would be needed to get back on track but couldn't quite catch back up. Maybe need to give it a try! The 5km I did was a one off park run and I really maxed out - certainly not an effort I could summon for every run.

Certainly hoping the marathon training plan I've got will get me there or close. I've clocked 956km (rather frustrated by being close to the 1000 even if it wasn't a goal) this year without being anywhere near a regular runner for most of it. I should get close to that by the marathon time just by being consistent so hoping this will make the difference.

MattL80 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

A sub 40m 10k. I've been hovering around 41.30 for a couple of years and 40m has always seemed some way off, but put that partly down to rarely doing shorter than 10k runs. I've started doing Parkrun recently and just done 18.51 so I think that'll help.

Mainly want to concentrate on longer trail stuff though, and to enter more events (at least one marathon+ length). And want to do the Dartmoor 600 this year.

gazhbo 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

Had a good 2019 as well, particularly December.  Did a 10mile Pb (58.55) and took about a minute off my 10k Pb in the process.  

Got two halves in the spring.  One is a big muddy hilly slog so I’ll be happy just to finish that.  The other I’ll hope to go under 1.20.  

gazhbo 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

My goals are all very similar to yours, other than the marathon.  It seems like a long way.  Can’t even begin to  think about the training volume at the moment and if I did I’d be thinking about 3 rather than 2.45.  Maybe I’ll reassess after spring half.

The Potato 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

Mary Townley loop

14 peaks (again)

Yorkshire 3peaks winter (again)

Keep meaning to do Bob Graham round but got to leave time for cycling too, and climbing perhaps.

Post edited at 16:24
In reply to The Potato:

Assuming the MTL will be an unsupported solo effort, you need to think about logistics a bit. When I did it I started at Rooley Moor Road, as this is two miles from my house. I had run out of water we’ll before I got to Callis Bridge and it felt like a very long way to the Top Brink and what was a warmer than expected day.

bouldery bits 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

Abraham's tea round and a decent effort at the Kentmere Horseshoe Fell race. 

Also, bumbling through wild places with a massive grin all over my big, fat Face. 

Some very impressive achievements / targets above. Makes me feel even more of a rank amateur!

OP Wainers44 30 Dec 2019
In reply to bouldery bits

> Some very impressive achievements / targets above. Makes me feel even more of a rank amateur!

Absolutely and some times that for me would mean travelling by car!😁 Great to see people's achievements too.

My year hasn't been too bad. When someone on here talked about total annual distance I realised that strava counted such things so tomorrow I should pass 700m and 68000ft of height gain. For me that's a lot!

Arc50 in Feb which may well break me (again) and then probably enjoy the Black Rat (Roseland August Trial) in the summer. Need to aim for something else though. Have left one Wainwright to do to complete round #2 (Middle Fell, Wasdale) for over a year now,  so maybe a silly long run to pick that up too?

Roadrunner6 30 Dec 2019
In reply to gazhbo:

With a sub 59 half you've the pace to go sub 2:50 at least, but depends how you translate over to distance, and getting the mileage in. I ran 2:49 at Boston last year and I'm probably in 60-61 minute 10 mile shape. But I've not raced a flat 10 mile or half for a few years. 

I went sub 3 4 times this year; 2:49 at Boston, 2:51 on my own in Hyannis Marathon in 2-3 C temperatures and rain and strong winds, then 2:57 and 2:59 this winter on hilly or icey courses. With a good spring I should comfortably go sub 2:50 at Boston and then hope for a good summer of training. I ran Boston badly last year so can certainly have a better run pace wise, but it's Boston so conditions are often unfavorable.

Good Luck.

Post edited at 23:00
 EuanM 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

I’ve had an enjoyable year of training. Turned a corner with my running where it became something I enjoyed rather than a vehicle for weightloss.

I did quite a few interesting routes and built decent knowledge of the BGR. 

Races were mixed. I DNFd the Laveredo which was a low point as it was all mind. Enjoyed fell races and two other ultras. 

In 2020 I have the West Highland Way race, LIAD and an ballot entry for CCC. Hopefully get more fell races in and continue to tick off my list of routes/objectives. 

Our daughter was born on Xmas Eve so the additional challenge is to keep a balance and to demonstrate to myself that it is still possible to find some time for yourself in a day. 

elliot.baker 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

I want to run more than 1000km this year. Never measured it before but think this is a reasonable target for me. 

Run at least a marathon (distance) at least once. 

Not getting injured is definitely a good aim! I sprained my ankle this year in September and couldn’t run for 5 weeks at all which was a real downer. 

My first goal is to run a park run on New Year’s Day to get the year started right! And simultaneously tick off 0.5% of my total distance goal! 

Although some people shoot down the idea of New Years “resolutions” I’m finding it a really good time to refocus my efforts on fitness and health.

Post edited at 23:40
 George Ormerod 31 Dec 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

Like most of the other old farts the main goal is to get through the year uninjured. 

Apart from that I've signed up for a couple of local (Bragg Creek, Alberta, Canada) races.  One is a 44km 'Marathon' in July with 1700m of ascent, the other is the 'Iron Legs' 60km mid August with just shy of 3000m ascent.  I haven't run a race for over 15 years, so this will be all new - and I haven't run an ultra either.  I've got lots of time on my feet from alpine and winter climbing trips, so 12 or 15 hours out is OK, my main concern is doing more running so I can hit the cut-offs. 

I've got to try to manage the training in parallel with still doing lots of ice climbing up to April and hopefully managing a couple of WI5s and classic WI4s I haven't done yet.

ralphio 31 Dec 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

I've been out since June with Achilles tendinitis. Only now getting to the stage where I feel like I can start gentle road running. I guess my aim is to get string enough to run in the fells again by late spring summer. I think full on fell racing will have to wait till much later in the year.

Roadrunner6 31 Dec 2019
In reply to EuanM:

>  

> Our daughter was born on Xmas Eve so the additional challenge is to keep a balance and to demonstrate to myself that it is still possible to find some time for yourself in a day. 

Congrats and good luck.

I found time to run wasn't too bad, but all kids are different in how they sleep plus other life issues.

My main loss has been trips away. Getting out for a 2-3 hour run is one thing, driving 2 hours to the mountains and running for 2-3 hours and 2 hours back means it's a much bigger day out.

I do more road running or quicker trail miles just to get the miles in.

We've two more due in April so I've just bought a treadmill off craigslist and got my wife a spin bike for Christmas so we can get a workout in without having to leave the house sometimes. 

Post edited at 13:38
 EuanM 31 Dec 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Thanks and congratulations to you as well. 

Home training will no doubt be really valuable to you next year. 

A good point regarding the longer mountain days. We did a lot of our mountain running days together so will miss that in the future.

If I can keep 5 or 6 days holiday aside a year to scratch the itch that should hopefully be enough. 

The Potato 31 Dec 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

> Assuming the MTL will be an unsupported solo effort, you need to think about logistics a bit. When I did it I started at Rooley Moor Road, as this is two miles from my house. I had run out of water we’ll before I got to Callis Bridge and it felt like a very long way to the Top Brink and what was a warmer than expected day.

Ill probably use 1.5l bladder with a Sawyer inline water filter and fill up from Widdop res or wherever as temp dictates.

I've got a good MSR water filter pump that i use on long mtb rides like the trans cambria

Post edited at 16:33
 Shaunhaynes99 01 Jan 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

My goals were ro be 1st ultra ans marathon  but after making a differcult  choice with my dog. Im hopeing to just to get  my running mojo back and enjoy it whatever situation im running in l. 

Post edited at 08:37
 stuartf 01 Jan 2020
In reply to EuanM:

Congratulations and good luck! Once your daughter is 6 months you can use a running buggy. Great for getting out, and makes you feel super fast when you get a chance to run without it!

BusyLizzie 01 Jan 2020
In reply to EuanM:

> Our daughter was born on Xmas Eve so the additional challenge is to keep a balance and to demonstrate to myself that it is still possible to find some time for yourself in a day. 

Warmest congratulations! You have a great time ahead.

Lizzie

Shaunhaynes99 01 Jan 2020
In reply to EuanM:

Mine is due next week  so we shall how keeping the  Balance work out.

BusyLizzie 01 Jan 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

Great thread, thank you - I have thought about it for a while before replying. The funny thing about 2019 was that I ran 1,000 miles, got a half marathon pb (2:06) and ran the Windermere Marathon in May, so that all sounds ok, but I became very slow (i.e. even slower than usual) over the summer, ducked the Loch Rannoch marathon because I didn't feel like anything over half marathon distance, and was unwell on and off in the autumn. I *think* I may have been a bit anaemic, may have been a wee bit under weight, and may have got the rest/exercise balance wrong.

So for 2020 I want to get back to a position where a half marathon is not a big deal and doesn't take too long. By means of:

- more races, cos they are fun, mostly trail, probably not a marathon

- good quality rest and remember the iron tablets

- do some speed work, which I have been neglecting 

What I haven't found yet is an off-road race that really inspires me for 2020; suggestions welcome. Not too hilly (probably trail not fell cos I don't do steep descents), half marathon distance or a bit more ... 

yorkshireman 01 Jan 2020
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> What I haven't found yet is an off-road race that really inspires me for 2020; suggestions welcome. Not too hilly (probably trail not fell cos I don't do steep descents), half marathon distance or a bit more ... 

When I lived closer to your part of the world it was a few Trionium events that got me into trail running. Leith Hill Half, Midsummer Munro, Greensand Marathon etc. Worth a look perhaps (although definition of hilly is subjective and changes over time)?

Be careful though you might end up moving to the Alps to feed your new found addiction!

steveriley 01 Jan 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

The Tea Round looks good. I’ve also got a sneaky eye on on the Pinnacle Ridge Skyline thing - not too far and a bundle of scrambling. Hmm

gazhbo 01 Jan 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Thanks.  I think I’m going to just have to bite the bullet and enter one.  I’ve held off before now as I want to go sub 3.  If I run sub 80 for a half (which I probably could have done comfortably the other day if I just kept going for 3 miles) I haven’t really got any excuses.

Any suggestions for a low key flat autumn or spring UK marathon?

Dave the Rave 01 Jan 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

Mine is to actually RUN. 

XXXX 01 Jan 2020
In reply to BusyLizzie:

The best off road runs I've done in the SE at 13-20 miles are:

Steyning stinger (half or full)

North downs run (30k)

Meon Valley Plod - I think this is about 20.

Surrey slog gets an honourable mention

No idea if these still all run!

OP Wainers44 01 Jan 2020
In reply to BusyLizzie:

There are some great races in the SW. By far the best is the Roseland August Trial. Range of distances up to 64m on the beautiful SW Coast Path. Plus another event for mad people who want to run up and down steps for 24hrs....

It includes camping, beer and a fantastic friendly runners vibe.

Entries opened about 2 hours ago. Just saying.....

Roadrunner6 01 Jan 2020
In reply to gazhbo:

I've not done it but Chester is pretty quick and gets good reviews of people I know have done it. Capped at 5000 so not huge.

In the UK I haven't done many, Snowdonia was always my favourite but not quick.

hazeysunshine 02 Jan 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

My goals are very modest. In 2019 my initial goal was to run for 30mins without stopping. Tick. I then joined a local running group and managed a 10k race in December. Tick.

So for 2020, longer term goal: a half marathon next September; do more off-road running in the Peak.

Short-term goal: I've signed up for this virtual marathon in Jan "Running with Refugees" https://www.runningwithrefugees.com/

It's for an excellent cause and more crucially, it'll help me avoid sinking into a torpor and get me off the sofa through January!

mountainbagger 03 Jan 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

I had to abandon my goals for 2019 due to injury and an unrelated health issue.

Despite 3 or 4 months of little or no running, I managed 1,000 miles for the year, so I'm pleased with that.

Both the injury and health issue continue to be a concern, but I'm still aiming to hit around 1,500 miles in 2020, take part in some trail events up to a marathon and run a specific 10 mile circuit I do near my house at a certain pace/HR (my personal benchmark of fitness!).

All being well I am also hoping to return to a level where I am close to some old PBs (say within 2 mins for 10K, 5 minutes for HM and 10 mins for marathon) by midyear.

Stretch target is to return to targeting ultra distances which I'd just started to do before I got injured (yes, I know, but it will be different this time!).

Alyson 03 Jan 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

I’m pretty rubbish at goal-setting so it’s quite inspiring for me to read through this thread and see how other people give themselves things to aim for.

Although I’ve always been more of a cyclist than a runner, I’m interested in making some improvements this year. Now bear with me because I’m about to admit to a shameful secret on a forum populated by mountain-marathoners, fell runners, ultra runners and similarly hardened mountain-goat types… last year I did a couple of OCRs and I think I’ve been bitten by the bug! It feels so good but so, so wrong

I know that I’m never going to be more than a mediocre runner but I’m strong-ish and fit-ish and I quite revel in being cold, wet and tired, so running for a bit but then climbing over something/ jumping from height into deep water/ monkey-bar swinging over a pond/ wriggling though a half-submerged pipe quite suits me. Also I do them in a team which is really fun. So I’m doing Born Survivor again in May and a Spartan race in July. DON’T JUDGE ME!

Anyway, running-wise I’d like to do a half-marathon trail race and it would be good to get my 10k time down to 52 mins. Maybe a stretch objective of 50 mins, which would be a PB (told you I’m not a runner!!)

All of which may fall by the wayside because I bought a new bike yesterday (my first new bike for 14 years – I am BEYOND excited!) and tearing myself away from it is going to be hard…

Dave Todd 04 Jan 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

I've had a couple of 'goal based' road running years (sub 1:30 HM, sub 40 10k - both achieved, YYFY!) so now I'm looking for something a bit different.

My family have all become keen on orienteering over the last three years, so I decided to focus a bit more on that last year.  After a full year of orienteering in 2019 I've come to the conclusion that I'm not half as good as I hoped to be!  It seems to be SO easy to make mistakes.  So, my aim is to improve my orienteering ranking - especially off-road and on longer courses.  Lots of events already booked for 2020, including JK and Welsh 6 etc etc...  Any tips on improving my orienteering (as a latecomer - M50, 1 year of experience) would be very welcome.

Also, I've literally just booked me and my son onto our first mountain marathon - Saunders, in July.  I'm giddy with excitement!

Finally - I've suffered a couple of injuries (badly rolled ankle and dodgy knee) and had a long bout of illness during the later half of 2019 which have really impacted my ability to run and compete - so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a period of injury-free good health to start 2020!

Good luck to everyone with their adventures in 2020!

Dave B 04 Jan 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

Last year I hoped to get a medal at the surf lifesaving nationals. I got a silver in the beach run. And silver in the sprint. That's my last year in the 45-49 age group, so next year I'm up to 50-54. However. That was of too few runs, and I should have done slightly better in the triathlons I did in terms of the running. 

This year is like to do the same in the new age group. 

In terms of process goals to get there I'm hoping to run 3 a week, as a stretch and twice and a minimum - even if  its only 2 miles. I'm trying to run more slowly when I'm running slowly, but faster when I'm running faster, but on about 12 miles a week that might not be the most effective. I'm doing over an hour a day on average the year of exercise. So running is just one part the regime. 

Lrunner 04 Jan 2020
In reply to Dave B:

I really want to do the Ben Race under two. On paper I should be able to, i just feel it is a benchmark. A pointless Benchmark but one I want to do. I'd love to go under 35 for a 10k. Did it 5 years ago and never come close since!

hoping for an injury free year

In reply to Wainers44:

For the first time in over 10 years I am back running. Climbing - great though it is - doesn't come closer in terms of time efficiency, which has become an increasingly important factor now that we're a family with a six month old daughter.

When it comes to aims and ambitions for 2020 I guess the Bob Graham is top of the list. Originally I was keen just to complete within 24hrs, but after a few months of training I'm coming round to the idea of doing it faster; however, how fast is the question...

I've got a week in the Lakes booked in for mid-March, where I'm aiming to recce + link the various legs (1+2, 3+4) and will make more of a decision on timing after that. In the meanwhile I'm just looking to get out/about, build the mileage/ascent, and - as/when possible - nip over to the Lakes to put a bit more time into the route itself. 

Much like everyone else I share the same sentiments regarding injury and am doing everything I can to keep it at bay.

Steve Jones 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

Up to August, 2019 was a great year for running. So 2020 goal is to get fit again and see if I can score points in the English or Birtish Fell Chaps (vets) again - got 6 points in the English last year and was 82nd (or there abouts) overall.

Get my 5k/parkrun back under 20min (preferably under 19)

Sub 40 10k (there are not many flat ones around Keswick!)

But really it's all about the fell running!

Josh2223 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

Started off strong in 2019 and then gave up a little due to a hip injury in the middle of the year. In 2020 my goal is to push through any injury or pain and keep running. I'm going to finish strong this year. 

Stig 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Steve Jones:

I didn't run much in 2019 after March following the Millennium Way ultra (posted about that last year, didn't manage to go under 6 hours - no-one did on the day!! - but did come 5th). As expected I spent most of the rest of the year on my bike.

Trying to run more in 2020 with a focus on doing Loch Ness Marathon in October (targeting 2:55). Thanks to roadrunner for the general beta on LN on another thread!

On the way I hope to be competitive in my club championship, which includes Kentmere Horsehoe which I haven't done before. Also hoping to do GNR in the run-up to LNess, and see if I can get close to 1:22 in that.

All depends if I can get some fitness back, and get the miles in!

More-On 27 Jan 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

As with others my overall aim is simply to run more in 2020, enjoy it, and try and stay injury free.

The main reason for not posting until now was that I've been havering over entering the Cotswold Century in September. Well I've finally made my mind up and I'm in!

It will be a proper challenge, but having managed the Purbeck Ultra and Lakes in a Day last year, and with the Imber Ultra and a 100k in the Lakes in July as part of the build up I'm hopeful of finishing inside the time limit.

Anyway, hope everyone else is going well and enjoying time on their feet...

OP Wainers44 27 Jan 2020
In reply to More-On:

Good for you. Best of luck with that, sounds a bit bonkers!

My first challenge of the year is less than a week away now. The Arc50 in Cornwall sounds like a nice trip to the seaside,  but as I found last year it isn't all ice creams and sunny promenades!

The cut times have been tightened up a bit this year so just getting round is the plan. No support this time so plenty of food to be carried, and hopefully even eaten!!

Very best of luck to anyone else on the Arc50 and even more luck (and respect!) to anyone on it's big brother, the Arc of Attrition.

More-On 27 Jan 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

Cheers - I think bonkers sums it up well. It will be a very real challenge to get under 30 hours, but the Cotswold Way is a nice route to run, albeit hillier than most people think...

Having got round the 40k Stonehenge Stomp in reasonable form yesterday on very little training in Dec/Jan I'm feeling ok about it all.

Hope the Arc goes well!

yorkshireman 29 Jan 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

I failed to get a place in the UTMB, but just found that I've got a spot in the Échappée Belle in August. 149km and 11,400m height gain on some pretty technical trails so it's time to come out of my off-season lethargy and get some proper training under my belt.

Suddenly my season has overwhelming focus again.

MattL80 29 Jan 2020
In reply to MattL80:

> A sub 40m 10k. I've been hovering around 41.30 for a couple of years and 40m has always seemed some way off, but put that partly down to rarely doing shorter than 10k runs. I've started doing Parkrun recently and just done 18.51 so I think that'll help.

Did it with a 39:14 on Sunday

Need a new goal now!

DaveHK 29 Jan 2020
In reply to MattL80:

Nice one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...