Running Gels - Optimum Nutrition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rampikino 12 Mar 2018

I have the Greater Manchester Marathon in 4 weeks.

Having looked around on the website and finally contacted them directly, I have discovered that the running gels are by a company called Optimum Nutrition and will be providing NutraMino gels.

Now, as someone with a few marathons under his belt, I have always subscribed to the notion that you don't put something inside you on marathon day that you haven't already tried beforehand.  Yet, I am struggling to source these gels anywhere.  A few posters online have also highlighted this.

It appear to be an odd move by such a big UK marathon.  I guess I will be carrying my own gels on the day - ones I can trust.  I would prefer to travel as light as humanly possible (i.e. not carry any belt) but there is no choice.

Any other wisdom out there?

SebCa 12 Mar 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

When i did my first long distance tri, the one everyone knows about and is fed up of hearing about! I made this mistake, it was stuff I had never used and come the marathon I spent three occasions looking for toilet facilities in the middle of Bolton town centre, thankfully I found a disused car park and some wooding (if i could of made the portaloo I would have!)... Just because they provide it doesn't mean your body will adjust and it will agree with you. My advice would be to stick with what you usually train with, you can get the race belts that have the draw cord attachments for your gels etc then when you pass the aid stations just take on their water and doritos etc. 

If I was to do it again, i would definitely source my own nutrition.

Good luck!

OP Rampikino 12 Mar 2018
In reply to SebCa:

Totally - it's a rule I have always stuck with and would always advise.

I just find it baffling that a major UK marathon would include a gel that is so hard to get hold of - so large numbers of runners are not going to go near it on the day - me included!

SebCa 12 Mar 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

Its a strange one there is no doubt! I would avoid any toilet facilities within a 500m radius of the course!

DancingOnRock 12 Mar 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

Even stranger that a Gel company would think it a good marketing plan to provide a race with gels but have no proper distribution network already set up. 

OP Rampikino 12 Mar 2018
In reply to DancingOnRock:

I totally agree.  They appear to be a Danish company.  I have found their site online but when I see if I can buy gels I get a "computer says no" (presumably in Danish).

DancingOnRock 12 Mar 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

First the course is too short, then the baggage was chaos, now gels. 

They’re not doing themselves any favours. 

OP Rampikino 12 Mar 2018
In reply to DancingOnRock:

I would quite like the course to be 6 miles too short!

kmhphoto 12 Mar 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

The website are providing the wrong information as Optimum Nutrition do not manufacture NutraMino products though both companies are owned by Glanbia PLC

You could try https://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/nutramino  for the gels.

OP Rampikino 12 Mar 2018
In reply to kmhphoto:

Thank you very much!

Though I am struggling to see a Nutramino gel on there...

Any clues?

Post edited at 13:45
kmhphoto 12 Mar 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

My apologies I should have checked that they stocked the gels but I can't find anyone who does.  They're owned by Glanbia so they may be able to point you in the right direction, their e-mail is ir@glanbia.com

Occasionally a supplement company can't market a product in a country due to an ingredient not being allowed. But I know Glanbia have been working very hard with their subsidiaries to make them all as compliant as possible.

Post edited at 15:01
 steelbru 12 Mar 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

Always carry my own gels, bad enough trying to grab a water every few miles without having to try and pick up gels as well.

Never used a gel belt thing, I've got a couple of pairs of shorts ( one Ron Hill, one Patagonia ) that have 2 small elasticated pockets each side, plus the zip pocket at the back, so can easily carry 6 or 7.

I do use the more gloopy gels ( Clif for me ) as opposed to the runnier ones ( eg SiS ) which take up more room and are heavier due to the extra water content.

Example of types of shorts with the pockets, check the view from the rear   http://eu.patagonia.com/gb/en/product/mens-strider-pro-running-shorts-5-inc...

OP Rampikino 12 Mar 2018
In reply to steelbru:

To be fair that's very similar to me, and I also like the CLIF Shot gels - I think they are more substantial frankly. The small belt I use isn't an issue.

i will be sticking with my own...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...