running club

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dh73 17 May 2019

I run quite a lot of fell races. I used to belong to a club years ago but left because I could never get to / didn't want to go to any training sessions. plus I didn't want to do the fell relays as they took all day

as a consequence however, I never help out as a marshall or anything at any races and wonder if I am being a bit selfish. should I join a club to put something back, or is it acceptable to keep turning up?

any views

DaveHK 17 May 2019
In reply to dh73:

Lots of clubs don't care if you never turn up to sessions. We've got plenty of members who race in the colours but don't do anything else for a variety of reasons. Perhaps that's not the norm?

I'm not aware of pressure on anyone to do anything in our club but most members will try to marshal at a race or two over the year.

Post edited at 14:50
OP dh73 17 May 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

I think that may be the norm. but that begs the question - why be in a club if the only difference it makes is what top you wear on race day? that's partly why I left - it seemed a bit pointless

DaveHK 17 May 2019
In reply to dh73:

I do attend training sessions so that works for me.

Otherwise the camaraderie, meeting people to run and train with and cutting emissions by sharing lifts to races. Plus some races require club membership like the Ben Nevis race. 

The New NickB 17 May 2019
In reply to dh73:

You don’t have to be a member of a club to marshal or otherwise help out at races. We have marshals at most of our races that are not members of the club and I have in the past helped out at other clubs races.

I’m a big club advocate, brings a lot of benefits for me and I love the relay stuff (I’m doing Calderdale Fell Relay on Sunday, despite racing in the fells not really being my thing). Although I fully appreciate that it isn’t for everyone.

Where are you based? I’m always looking for marshals.

David Riley 17 May 2019
In reply to dh73:

>  why be in a club ? 

I'm in a club because I like people to chase and socialize with while training.  I run the set routes Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Ridge 17 May 2019
In reply to dh73:

> I think that may be the norm. but that begs the question - why be in a club if the only difference it makes is what top you wear on race day? that's partly why I left - it seemed a bit pointless

If you race regularly you'll probably make your subs back on reduced entry fees with your England Athletics registration.

I don't actually like racing (even though I'm in my 50s it still reminds me of school sports and bullying PE teachers) but I tend to train with the club just to motivate me to get out on horrible dark wet days.

If you feel the need to contribute in some way, how about parkrun?

Roadrunner6 17 May 2019
In reply to dh73:

I'd just run without a club, you can volunteer without being in clubs but races need runners, by running you are supporting races.

I volunteer at a few races, I'm taking down course markings at a 50k soon that I'll race and then walk around after and help take down the course.

When I have my daughter at the weekends and can't run when my wifes working I'll marshal with her.

But it is certainly acceptable to just race.

David Riley 17 May 2019
In reply to Ridge:

> If you race regularly you'll probably make your subs back on reduced entry fees with your England Athletics registration.

This is true.  Except England Athletics give absolutely nothing to normal club runners. They only take less money from your race entries if you already paid them money through your club.  Both subscriptions and races would be cheaper, more simple and friendly without England Athletics.

OP dh73 20 May 2019
In reply to David Riley:

fell races cost bugger all anyway. a fiver - and then you sometimes get a free bottle of beer!

I do parkrun - but also fail to volunteer much there as I enjoy running too much.

I think that I will have to justify my selfishness by suggesting that I am helping volunteers feel good. if there weren't runners for them to assist, then they couldn't feel good about themselves and be thought of as lovely and selfless people. In the same way as doctors would be out of a job if no-one ever got ill.   I am all heart, they should be thanking me really.....

wbo 20 May 2019
In reply to David Riley:race insurance if nothing else?  I assume you don't do championship or regional races either, various leagues whatever? 6 stage, 12 stage?

I liked being in a. Luv for team events plus without a club membership cross country is very hard to access.  In contrast most of the people I trained with ran for other clubs

steveriley 20 May 2019
In reply to wbo:

> without a club membership cross country is very hard to access.  

I blummin love cross country - turn up in a field, race, no faff, no times, no registration (mostly), just raw graft (at whatever end of the field you're in). Home for lunchtime. The whole thing helps me get through winter relatively sane. That's worth the price of admission alone.

The New NickB 20 May 2019
In reply to Ridge:

> If you race regularly you'll probably make your subs back on reduced entry fees with your England Athletics registration.

Although the OP mainly does Fell races, where this doesn’t apply.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...