Running back pack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iusedtoclimb 10 Jan 2017
I've been usins a raidlight endurance 14 lit pack for my ultras. What I like about it is that is holds a 500ml bottle on the waist strap and holds all I need

It is now fairly knackered and they don't do the same pack any more

Can any one recommend ~ 14lit pack for long ultras that will carry water bottles as opposed to bladder. Ideally capacit y of 1 lit in 2 bottles

The raidlight endurance held 500ml in waist and another 500 ml bottle in mesh on side of bag
 The Potato 10 Jan 2017
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

Ive got one of these and its actually much better than the price may suggest
(currently out of stock I know)
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-trail-bag-id_8312245.html
 DaveHK 10 Jan 2017

Do you really need 14 litres? I really like my Inov8 Race Ultra 10.
 Aly 10 Jan 2017

The best running sack I've ever found was a North Face Enduro 13. Lovely supportive slim fit, a bottle tucked out the way at either hip which are easy to access on the move (comes with 2x500ml bottles) and a bit of diy work with some bungee cord gives you extra room to stuff an extra layer on the back under the bungee. Perfect size for long day runs in the mountains.

I'm not sure why it called a 13 as, if anything, it's a bit smaller than my Inov8 Race Elite Extreme 10 sac, which is also a great bag but not as good as the north face one.
 drunken monkey 10 Jan 2017

I use a Salomon S-LAB ADV SKIN3 5 SET - 5 litre capacity In the back and it uses 2 x 500ml soft flasks on the front.

pretty expensive, but its very comfortable to run with
 tony 10 Jan 2017

I like my Ultimate Direction SJ Ultra 3.0. I wasn't sure how I'd get on with this kind of vest-type pack, as opposed to the more traditional type, but it works well. It's only 7l capacity, so may be on the small size for you, but I think the JK Ultra is bigger. The both have a pair of soft chest-mounted 500ml bottles, which are ideal - much better than bladders.
However, it's not cheap.
 Just Will 10 Jan 2017
I've got a Scott Trail Summit TR 16. It is 1`6l and has two 500ml bottle holders. Would definitely recommend. Tough and lightweight.
Post edited at 16:59
 yorkshireman 10 Jan 2017
In reply to tony:

> I like my Ultimate Direction SJ Ultra 3.0. I wasn't sure how I'd get on with this kind of vest-type pack, as opposed to the more traditional type, but it works well. It's only 7l capacity, so may be on the small size for you, but I think the JK Ultra is bigger. The both have a pair of soft chest-mounted 500ml bottles, which are ideal - much better than bladders.

I think you mean the AK (Anton Kupricka). I've got this - it's 11.5L but feels much bigger - certainly would be big enough for any semi supported ultra. I've used for up to 18 hours and love it. The pockets are in great locations and everything is easy to get to. The material is comfortable and since I use Z type trekking poles they stow under each armpit pretty well.

The only downside is I occasionally get rubbing on my chest on one side from the neck of the bottles/soft flasks but I seem to have sorted that with some adjustments.

https://ultimatedirection.com/ak-mountain-vest-3-0/

> However, it's not cheap.

I think it's reasonable considering it's at the top end of the market (I think I paid ~€140) and quite frankly you get what you pay for mostly. Before this I used a Salomon S-Lab vest and the zip broke, and although I loved the vest, it was comfortable etc I yearned for a few more pockets and wanted to switch from bladder to flasks.

I've also tried the lower end Decathlon ones and if you're going to be seeing the sun come and then go down again wearing the same vest, you want it to be a good one, and I'm afraid I've not seen one at that price point that cuts it.
 tony 10 Jan 2017
In reply to yorkshireman:

> I think you mean the AK (Anton Kupricka).

Yup, my mistake.

> I've got this - it's 11.5L but feels much bigger - certainly would be big enough for any semi supported ultra. I've used for up to 18 hours and love it. The pockets are in great locations and everything is easy to get to.

Yes, there are pockets everywhere. Even the pockets have pockets!

plyometrics 10 Jan 2017

Check out the Hoka packs http://www.hokaoneone.eu/en/men-gear/

I use the F-lite 7l which (whilst much smaller than you require) is superb, but they do bigger packs which are worth looking at.
 KevinJ 10 Jan 2017

I have to agree with you on this. I really do rate the AK pack. Does everything I need of it, and being a bit of an organisation freak I think the storage on this pack is excellent.
Great amount of adjustment with the straps inside the hip pockets, and good chest fastening.
The small pockets high up are ideal for a small Silva compass on one side and a car key on the other.

It took me a while to decide on this pack, and I've done some distance runs including some ultras and found it ideal. Unfortunately, I have a box of running sacks I have tried and moved on from!

Kev
 SouthernSteve 10 Jan 2017
In reply to drunken monkey:

I have the bigger one Salomon S-LAB ADV SKIN3 12 SET. It has a zip for one of the bigger pockets so things feel a little more secure. Definitely the most comfortable rucsac I have. Previously had a larger (18 litres) and cheap rucsac with hydration and when running sounded like a small percussion section!
 Ridge 10 Jan 2017

> I think you mean the AK (Anton Kupricka). I've got this - it's 11.5L but feels much bigger - certainly would be big enough for any semi supported ultra. I've used for up to 18 hours and love it. The pockets are in great locations and everything is easy to get to. The material is comfortable and since I use Z type trekking poles they stow under each armpit pretty well.

Ooooh. Shiney precious thing. Must try and justify one of those for my short plods round the fells.
 markk 11 Jan 2017
Another vote here for Ultimate Direction - not cheap, but very good.
iusedtoclimb 11 Jan 2017
In reply to KevinJ:

If I don't look at the price then the UD AK 3 looks great

My only worry about packs like this is that all the weight is taken in your shoulders as opposed to your waist or is this not the case?
 yorkshireman 11 Jan 2017
In reply to Ridge:

> Ooooh. Shiney precious thing. Must try and justify one of those for my short plods round the fells.

Errr, OK. I was just giving some context as to my use of the pack because obviously its not for everyone. I don't think anyone suggests it's worth it for short plods (I use a 25€ Decathlon waist pack for short hill runs). However the OP did say they wanted one for ultras.

> My only worry about packs like this is that all the weight is taken in your shoulders as opposed to your waist or is this not the case?

All (most) race packs (think they use the term race vest now) these days carry all the support high up. The designers have obviously thought about it and I can't say it's an issue. In years ago I did my first ultra with an OMM pack (can't remember the exact name) which sits lower down and really prefer the new designs.
 Ridge 11 Jan 2017

Wasn't having a dig at you BTW, just lusting after the pack

Take a look at the Montane fang 5. It's technically only a 5 litre but if you don't put a hydration bladder in it that ramps the capacity right up. Holds all I need for all day mountain runs and comes with two soft bottles that clip onto the shoulder straps securely (500ml each) then there are a few useful pockets in the waist strap. Very comfortable to run with.

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/mon834/montane-fang-5-litre-running-bac...
 Phil79 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Jacknoblehawkins:

I was looking at one of these for my runs (just getting into longer hill runs, would like to do some trail marathons, maybe some ultras in future etc), good to hear a bit of a review.

Are the bottles actually soft? They look fairly solid on the pics?
 Tom Briggs 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Phil79:
That's the old model with rigid bottles. Good review of the current model here, which I like the look of:
http://fellrunningguide.co.uk/montane-via-fang-5-review/

However, it only comes in two sizes. I liked the features of the Inov-8 pack mentioned above, but the M/L fitted too small for me. At least UD have 4 sizes.
Post edited at 12:15
 yorkshireman 13 Jan 2017
In reply to Ridge:

> Wasn't having a dig at you BTW, just lusting after the pack

Ah yes, I've just re-read it in a Gollum-style voice (as opposed to a sarky voice) and it reads much better

Internet forums eh?
 Dark-Cloud 13 Jan 2017
In reply to SouthernSteve:
I second that, i have one too and love wearing it, its so well thought out, its easily got enough room for a full day or ultra.

When i revert to my OMM Classic 25 for mountain marathons i am always astounded at how little you notice the Salomon one when its on compared to a traditional pack.
Post edited at 12:30
 KevinJ 16 Jan 2017
It is taken in the shoulders, but the layout of the storage means that I find the weight to be very well balanced. Once I am moving, I don't really notice the weight on the shoulders. However, I do notice (and like) the lack of waist belt. I have found that more traditional rucksack style running packs with a lightweight waist belt have been a bit uncomfortable after a few hours and have on occasion chafed around the waist.
Having tried inov8, Osprey, Berghaus, Mountain Hardwear and one or two others I was really pleased with the UD AK2. A bit more expensive, but for me the comfort level made it worth the price.
 normie boy 16 Feb 2017
In reply to Pesda potato:

I use an older version of that decathlon pack and it is great. I paid about the same as that quoted too.
Look at the price of other packs linked... kona at 150e. Prices seem daft don't they?
 Simon Caldwell 16 Feb 2017

The OMM Ultra series will take two bottles, one on each side
https://www.theomm.com/product/ultra-12/

If you're feeling rich, the Phantom 12 looks rather good...
https://www.theomm.com/product/phantom-12/
iusedtoclimb 16 Feb 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

thanks for that

I also saw this yesterday which looks OK at the price

http://www.grivelgb.co.uk/products/rucksacks/mountain-runner-vest-12l/

Expensive this running business!!!
andypg 18 Feb 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

My Inov8 Race Ultra 10 suffers terribly from condensation inside the main compartment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...