Route plotters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Shaunhaynes99 15 Jan 2020

I'd like to get people opionins on route plotters/trackers. 

Id  ideally  be after  something  that tracks and shows where to turn left and right on trails 

I  belive map my run and  strava allow to plot routes and download them gpx files if you want or run them via the app. 

But i rarely run with my smart phone  and would mean needing  to keep  my phone in my hand ( take out my vest/belt to keep my phone i  when finding new routes) 

2nd option is upgrade my watch again to something  like forerunner 235/245and use dw maps but im not sure if (you can still track like normal gps mode if that make sense) or maybe upgrade to  soemthing even higher..

Roadrunner6 15 Jan 2020
In reply to Shaunhaynes99:

Yeah I just use the route plotter on strava and my phone. Its cheap and easy but it means having your phone out.

Simon Caldwell 16 Jan 2020

have you tried a paper map? Much cheaper, and doesn't usually break when dropped.

tlouth7 16 Jan 2020

Does your current watch have the capability to program in waypoints and then give you a bearing/direction to the next waypoint?

Obviously not as good as a full track but if it saves you upgrading.

Otherwise the ability to follow tracks has been a feature of GPS watches for a long time (my Forerunner 305 from 2008 has this functionality) so maybe you could buy a second hand watch to use for following routes.

OP Shaunhaynes99 16 Jan 2020

I currently  have a forerunner 35. The nect one up tha 235 has an app you  use but cant find any reviews if its actually  any good. 

Sttava route is the  cheaper way to go. I guess i can check it every so often untill i learn the routes/ trail maps a bit better. 

Nirmal map is the simplest  way but its a pain to carry. 

Post edited at 17:52
 The Norris 16 Jan 2020

I bought a garmin 800 edge off ebay for about 60 quid to replace my old one which was stolen. It's not the most intuitive bit of kit but once you've got your head round it itll do the job nicely- plot routes on ridewithgps, drag and drop into device and go. Battery lasts about 10 hours, and is much smaller than most phones.

I'm sure there are better options, but difficult to beat at that price imo.

Post edited at 18:41
In reply to The Norris:

Could be s good middle ground. Rather then  having to take mt phome out. 

In reply to The Norris:

Could be s good middle ground. But tbe the smae issue  of having to store to somewhere then getting  it out  to check where  i am. 

The Norris 16 Jan 2020

Fair enough. I just run with it in my hand. I've done an 11 hour ultra carrying and I'm just used to it i guess.

OP Shaunhaynes99 17 Jan 2020
In reply to The Norris:

I only really plan on getting myself up to a half marathon.  So it would be too bad.  Gonna have a look at strava  routes today vs the edge.  I think either way unless i want to spent load more money im gonn ahve too  deal with carrying  somthing and check it every so often. 

Is the egde complicated  to use? 

Post edited at 08:51
 Scott K 17 Jan 2020

Suunto have a pretty good sale on just now. £89 for the ambit 3 vertical-older model but still good. Can follow a route and record at the same time.

rob sykes 17 Jan 2020

in the past i've photocopied relevant sections of a map onto a series a4 sheets and inserted them in a plastic sleeve - a bit less faff than carrying a full map.  not sure the os/crown copyright would approve but as her maj hasnt come knocking yet i think it's ok.

XXXX 17 Jan 2020

Unless I'm running a really long way, I just remember where I'm going. It's not that hard with practice and even if you're only vaguely familiar with an area it's surprisingly easy to head in the right direction without going too wrong, even if you have no idea where you are at any one moment in time. 

I personally think a paper map (or printed section) properly used, is best if you need something. So much information, so little weight and you can tuck it in a waist band so no need for bags, belts, straps.

Relying on an electronic gadget to tell you left or right sounds like a recipe for disaster. Like all the worst bits of GPS (battery, fragile screen, heavy, unreliable in woods) but with none of the good bits. My experience of running on the line traces on Garmins is that it's really hard, you have to zoom in and out to get the scale right and if you're not moving fast enough it's not quite sure what direction you were heading, so you have to kind of 'try each way' for a bit and see if you're still on the line. 

OP Shaunhaynes99 17 Jan 2020
In reply to rob sykes:

This may be the best  option as mentioned  above there is less to go wrong and  Im not expecting  to get lost on my routes i just want it as back up incase i do get lost  while out exploring  new woods and trails. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...