RIP Pete Bland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ridge 01 Dec 2020

Announced by the Bland Family on Fell Running UK. Pete Bland passed away on Saturday after being admitted to hosptital on the 16th November after a positive Covid test result earlier in the month.

RIP, and condolences to family and friends.

Baron Weasel 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Ridge:

I was just going to post this news. Pete lived in our village and was always a friendly likable guy to chat to. RIP

Phil1919 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Ridge:

I still pull on 'Pete Bland' socks that I bought from his race van 25 years ago(?). It wasn't a full race occasion without his van being present.  

ro8x 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Ridge:

RIP Pete. What a life he lived and put so much into the sport for the benefit of so many others.

steveriley 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Ridge:

Legend of the sport.

Jim Hamilton 02 Dec 2020
In reply to ro8x:

Great photo, caption in Askwith's book;

"It was like being in a dream - I had no pain" .. finally wins Ambleside in 1968

ro8x 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

I loved that part of the book, he was up against some real stiff competition and pulled it off and we have all experienced those days where you just feel amazing and no pain. 

Roadrunner6 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Ridge:

Yeah I saw this yesterday, does anyone know how old he was? My mum was asking, she bought all my Christmas presents from him for years. I was guessing late 70's at least. Sad news, seeing him around races was part of a big day.

Post edited at 13:58
 Pedro50 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

79 apparently.

DR 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Ridge:

Sad news. A legend around Kendal and the south Lakes. RIP.

Removed User 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Phil1919:

> I still pull on 'Pete Bland' socks that I bought from his race van 25 years ago(?). It wasn't a full race occasion without his van being present.  

And me. Got a couple of pairs lurking at the back of my sock draw. 

RIP Pete.

Jim Lancs 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

> And me. Got a couple of pairs lurking at the back of my sock draw. 

> RIP Pete.

White Pete Bland woollen socks used to be the cheapest way of enjoying wool on your feet long before 'marino' became ubiquitous. Three pairs for £10!  Quite emotional to pull one of my pairs on this evening before heading out.

JB 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

I agree, one of my favourite stories from that book. Wonderful photo too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...