Rigby Round

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CaelanB 18 Jul 2019

So, I've just stumbled on the "Rigby Round" which seems somewhat more mysterious as far as the big rounds go. I've done some googling to find info on it and have learnt that its not something you recce or have support on if you're going to do it "properly". The thing I have questions about is the route. I see that you're supposed to do all 18 munros in the northern cairngorms but is there a particular order you're supposed to do them in or can you choose your own route to link them all? There's just very little info out there about the rules of the round, so I'm a little confused.

Also, the "no recce's" rule seems somewhat contrived. I've been wandering around the gorms for years and years, so inadvertently I've done tonnes of recce-ing compared to someone who lives in London and has never been to the gorms before. It doesn't quite seem like a level playing field in that regard...

kwoods 18 Jul 2019
In reply to CaelanB:

I haven't done it as the running thing but a few years as go I bothied around it in a few days doing the loop starting and ending at the Sugarbowl.

Can't remember the 'rules' (there's a site out there detailing all of that though, I remember) but I recall there being a couple of route options. One of the most helpful I used was to go over Beinn a' Bhuird out to Ben Avon, then back over Bhuird again. A bit more ascent but a lot less out-the-way than down to Glen Avon and around. It really keeps you on the high tops, well worth it.

Post edited at 16:26
 ro8x 18 Jul 2019
In reply to CaelanB:

This might be of some use to you.

https://www.gofar.org.uk/cairngorm-munros

OP CaelanB 18 Jul 2019
In reply to ro8x:

I wonder why I never seem to find such things myself by googling...  Thank you though, that's helpful!

digby 18 Jul 2019
In reply to CaelanB:

Seems to have attracted Carnethys recently! http://carnethy.com/?s=rigby+round

ross 18 Jul 2019
In reply to CaelanB:

Hiya, I did this last year. I used the Rob Woodall route from the gofar link above.

It's a pain getting from Glen Feshie to Beinn Bhrotain, I have read about a more direct route since which may be better.

As you say,  the 'no reccy' thing is a bit of a non starter for many of us! 

Pm me if you'd like a schedule or the other various bits of info I've found about it. 

Cheers, Ross. 

Jonny Muir 19 Jul 2019
In reply to CaelanB:

Hi all,

I ran the Rigby Round on Sunday. A long report is here: https://heightsofmadness.com/2019/07/19/running-rigby-round-the-cairngorms-...

All the best,

Jonny

EuanM 19 Jul 2019
In reply to Jonny Muir:

Really enjoyable read. Well done! 

Post edited at 22:32
 BusyLizzie 22 Jul 2019
In reply to Jonny Muir:

Wow. A great read, and what an achievement!

mountainbagger 22 Jul 2019
In reply to Jonny Muir:

Yep, me too, enjoyed that, thanks for writing it up so well (and honestly)!

ben b 22 Jul 2019
In reply to Jonny Muir:

That's excellent, well done - great write up. A satsuma and a packet of crisps somehow seems inadequate after that!

Chapeau

b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...