Returning used "broken" trail shoes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 11 Mar 2021

Couple years ago I bought some Asics Gel Sonoma GTX 3 and they were the most comfortable things I'd ever worn, ran in them off road for a year or so loving life until they were really worn out. 

Then I bought the Gel Sonoma GTX 4 because they were discounted and you couldn't get the 3 anymore. Looking back at my emails I see I bought those in April 2020 and they lasted until about November 2020, so about 7 months. I probably ran about 300-600k in them, not sure because I run on the road in other trainers sometimes. 

Then I bought the Gel Sonoma GTX 5 because you couldn't get the 4 anymore. I bought the 5's on 7th December, say they were delivered within 3-5 days. They have taken an absolute battering over winter running through mud and rain and snow, served me well for about 140k. Flip to late February and they're ****ed. Something's happened in the toe box (it's not a stone) so they are pressing really hard on my toes (my toes haven't changed), they are basically un wearable now, but the outside looks ok still.

I never thought in my life to try and return a pair of worn trainers but then I was like ...£75 for 2.5 months wear (remember I ran in road shoes half the time as well) seems a bit outrageous. Suffice to say I'll never be buying Asics again, but I thought I'd call the shop and see what they thought about me returning them. They said definitely not a manufacturing fault, could just be the way I run (what about the other Asics trainers though?), no chance of returning them, too many factors involved, etc. etc. etc.

I'm happy to take that on the chin and consider it a valuable and cost saving lesson that I won't be wearing Asics again, but just wondered if the shop is being reasonable or not? Am I unreasonable to want at least 6 months / 300-500k out of a pair of (relatively) expensive trail shoes???

PS... I only thought to call the shop because I saw someone else posted about their Asics Gel Sonomas falling apart after a couple of months. Mine haven't fallen apart but they just feel like daggers on my big toes now.

Forest Dump 11 Mar 2021
In reply to elliot.baker:

I bought a pair of Asics Fujitrabuco 7s from an official outlet store back in December. After 3 months of light distance (3x5km) but winter conditions there's holes in the uppers, where the softer top fabric joins what passes for the rand.

Once non essential retail opens back up I'll be heading to the store to make a nuisance of myself and see whether they'll replace them/refund me

wbo2 11 Mar 2021
In reply to elliot.baker: For a start I'd try to figure out what's warped in the upper to make whatever's spiky.  

Upper falling to pieces is a pretty common problem for running shoes and asics aren't the only offenders (Hoka and Altra spring to mind).  Lighter shoes are obviously more prone, but using them when they're wet all the time soon wears the upper, as does mud.  Rotating , drying and putting them in the washing machine every so often to get mud/grit , but that means multiple pairs, and 3 times a week will give them time to dry out.

Dark-Cloud 11 Mar 2021

Its worth trying taking them back, my Mrs wrote off a pair of brand new Inov8 something or other in a weekend around Ben Nevis area, the retailer replaced them but only because we are on good terms with them, i'm pretty sure they would have turned anybody else away.

The issue is longevity of shoes in the mountains/trails can be a real mixed bag, I have had uppers last a whole year then some last a matter of months, there is just too many variables for a retailer to decide if its failed or if its just wear and tear.

Post edited at 15:14
 Hooo 11 Mar 2021

That was me with the Gel Sonomas that fell apart. I just sent pics and they refunded without any questions, they didn't even ask me to send them back. With my Adidas I had to send them back, but still got a credit (not quite as handy as a refund) no questions asked. I guess a lot of it is down to the shop and their policy. I think you have a case for a refund with your shoes, the difficult bit is proving it if it's not visible. I would be inclined to push them a bit harder and at least accept them back for inspection.

I'm a bit new to running shoes and I'm surprised to see all these uppers falling apart. My regular shoes wear through the soles until water gets in while the uppers are still perfect.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...