Retro calcaneal bursitis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mountainbagger 02 May 2019

Has anyone had this? Got it in both heels. Been seeing a physio and following the advice, but it's been 8 weeks now of practically no running and the heels don't seem much better. Still swelling present and discomfort if I walk a lot.

How long does it take/will it ever go away? I love running and it's doing my head in! Moral support, motivational or success stories much appreciated!

Thanks

abr1966 02 May 2019
In reply to mountainbagger:

Have you checked your shoes/trainers etc for wear....are they worn in any parts that may be changing the biomechanics of your foot?

I had this at one point.....it was not an easy rehab as I also had some degree of plantar fasciitis....mine was sorted by a good podiatrist in the end not a physio....

It can take time though and I recall being well pi**ed off at the time!

In reply to abr1966:

> Have you checked your shoes/trainers etc for wear....are they worn in any parts that may be changing the biomechanics of your foot?

Yes, they look pretty normal but I'm no expert! But, I was doing a lot more off-road running (steep ups and downs) at the time, including running as my commute over a big hill (though only 2 miles). I'd also run at lunchtime on a couple of the days, so end up running 3 times in a day then go kickboxing in the evening even on one day. In hindsight it was probably all a bit silly.

> I had this at one point.....it was not an easy rehab as I also had some degree of plantar fasciitis....mine was sorted by a good podiatrist in the end not a physio....

Interesting, maybe I should go via my GP and get referred? Or did you just look up a podiatrist and go direct?

> It can take time though and I recall being well pi**ed off at the time!

Well I can relate to that!

abr1966 02 May 2019

> Interesting, maybe I should go via my GP and get referred? Or did you just look up a podiatrist and go direct?

Its a long time ago when I was in the forces......however, if you do a google search and make some enquiries I'm sure you'll find one. You need somebody who knows a lot about biomechanics of the foot and can take impressions to make specific insoles!

Some of the university podiatry courses offer a reduced rate....you may get a student but they will be under direct supervision...

In reply to abr1966:

Great, thanks. Not too worried about cost if I get the right expert first time. Sounds like podiatrist is the way to go, plenty near me. Will look some up and ask people at work. Just annoying there has been little progress in 8 weeks so far. They don't seem to be repairing despite stopping running

Lrunner 03 May 2019

I've got it in both heals from hill running, I have to replace my shoes more often, foam roll loads, and do lots of gym work with my physio. My physio told me to run through it as long as the pain didn't exceed 5/10 and it went away after 6 weeks. Just reared its head again yesterday so straight back to rehabbing it.

My physio said that a three week course of ibprofin is helpful but my stomach can't handle it.

It will get better, keep at it, get on the bike and chin up.

Lawrence

In reply to Lrunner:

> I've got it in both heals from hill running, I have to replace my shoes more often, foam roll loads, and do lots of gym work with my physio. My physio told me to run through it as long as the pain didn't exceed 5/10 and it went away after 6 weeks. Just reared its head again yesterday so straight back to rehabbing it.

> My physio said that a three week course of ibprofin is helpful but my stomach can't handle it.

> It will get better, keep at it, get on the bike and chin up.

> Lawrence

Hi Lawrence, thanks for the post. Interesting you've been told to run through it. I don't really have much pain when jogging (although I did 8 weeks ago) for a mile (all I've been told to do for now) but they're still swollen and stiffen up overnight or if I've been on my feet all day. There's still some discomfort basically at times. Does the swelling go down eventually? It's almost like I've got two heels when I look down at them!

Lrunner 04 May 2019

I iced it for 10 minutes three times a day for about 3 weeks. seemed to do the trick. 

Lawrebce

Well, bit of an update. Turns out, according to the podiatrist, I have bowed legs, resulting in a somewhat excessive pronation which puts a lot of stress on my heel ligaments twisting and inadequate shock absorption. This has caused some bone to build up called Hagland's and perhaps some bursitis. In any case this means I've always been an inefficient runner and can hopefully be resolved with custom orthotics. Perhaps this will mean I will eventually be a better runner than before with a more efficient gait

Lrunner 22 May 2019

I've got those too, loads of hill runners and anyone who was active in their youth have it. Glad you have a diagnosis. 

Good Luck

Lawrence

In reply to Lrunner:

> I've got those too, loads of hill runners and anyone who was active in their youth have it. Glad you have a diagnosis. 

Thanks. When you say you've got those too, do you mean bowed legs or Haglunds?

I'm running a bit more now and went pretty hard yesterday (intervals in the park), but today the backs of my heels were quite stiff and sore. No pain whilst running though, so I guess that's good

Lrunner 24 May 2019

I've got haglunds but physio exercises compensate for it well as do insoles. I dropped my mileage for strength and conditioning work once or twice a week and felt big gains. glad you are pain free.

Lawrence

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...