Recovery after welsh 3000ers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ANdrew123 26 Jul 2017

Hi all

On monday i ran/staggered the welsh 3000ers in about 14 hours. I felt pretty awful the day after all day but just about did my mile run streak thing and my legs feel pretty knackered today.

Just wondering how long people took to recover and to get back to full training. Im a little bit worried about starting again to early and damaging myself. Also i really want to get back to training. Also, does anyone recommend anything to aid recovery?

Cheers all
Post edited at 09:18
 The Potato 26 Jul 2017
In reply to ANdrew123:

how long is a piece of string?
how fit are you and how often do you do long runs? some people can do daily marathon distance runs, others do one every blue moon, both are going to recover differently.
The first time I did the 3000s in 14h i wasnt that adapted to the distance/descent and took me about 2 weeks to recover. Last time I did it in about 10h I was ok in about 3 days and back to normal training in about a week

For me recovery - rest, compression socks, fluids, protein.
 Andy Nisbet 26 Jul 2017
In reply to ANdrew123:

More than 30 years ago, I ran the London Marathon on a very hot day. I reckon it was a month before I was fully fit again. 6 months later I ran another marathon, looked after myself better, and it only took a few days. Basically, it will take what it takes.
 SouthernSteve 26 Jul 2017
In reply to Andrew123:
I often find I feel really OK a few days after a long race, but in returning to fast running at that point I start to ache and have been injured in the past, so now I am more patient and give it quite a few days after that point and that has worked for me. I would definitely do some fast walking / jogging and foam roll and stretch. If you are rich you could get a sports massage. The rule I was taught was a day for each mile raced (particularly for the marathon) before returning to very long or particularly fast runs, and I think this is a good guide when you are not doing very large volumes of running all the time.

Well done by the way – it's great to have that done! I found Tryfan so hard.

HTH SS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...