Recommended Scottish Hill Races 2020

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bog ninja 20 Feb 2020

Morning everyone,

I was wondering if could get your opinion on Scottish hill races in the 2020 calendar that you would recommend in terms of route and atmosphere, admittedly a subjective thing.  I’m a mid pack runner who enjoys hilly runs, my local hill race is Beinn Ratha outside Thurso so bog and forest trail are my usual training surfaces. I’m signed up for the cape wrath challenge marathon and would love to do the Lairg Ghru marathon if I could get an entry. In terms of hill races I would be looking for something in the 10km region and maybe 300 m plus ascent. I’ve got a small child so logistically island races would be tricky and preferably I would be looking to stay in the Highlands, although I know how beautiful Merrick is

uptosummit 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Bog ninja:

Hi man. Couple I can think of that have good atmosphere and a good challenge:

- Beinn Rinnes, Dufftown (buzzing)

- Trotternish Ridge, Skye (less atmosphere, quite long, but amazing race and good for Cape Wrath training!)

- Cioch Mhor (SHR Champs race this year), Dingwall

- Creag Dhubh (flipping nuts. More like an OCR race, but good fun), Newtonmore

- Braemar Gathering (classic)

- Craig Dunain, Inverness 

- Meall a'Bhuachaille, Aviemore

- Triple Hurple in Fort William (good if you want to make a weekend of it. Includes Half Ben, Meall an t-suidhe and Cow Hill)

Hope those help...

Post edited at 08:18
 DaveHK 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Bog ninja:

The list above is pretty good with the exception of Craig Dunain. It's a nice enough local race but not particularly interesting and a bit urban. Fairly close for you though so might be worthwhile.

Stuc a' Chroin isn't the nicest of courses but it's a proper brutal race and a good marker for how you're going. If you've got a bit left coming back up out of Glen Ample then you're either in great shape or didn't try hard enough earlier.

Glamaig is one of the best races out there, great setting and bonkers racing from the gun. Make a long weekend of it if you can.

OP Bog ninja 20 Feb 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks Uptosummit and Dave, very good lists, I was finding the amount of races listed on Scottish hill racing a bit daunting. I’ll have fun reading about them. Sadly I won’t be able to do Cioch Mor as I’ll be in Ireland for a wedding. Sam who organises it is a very sound fella. Creag Dubh sounds bonkers! I’ll also be away for the Trotternish but Beinn Rinnes could be fun. Thanks for taking the time to reply

OP Bog ninja 20 Feb 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

A factor on a estate where I’ve been doing some surveying said he did the Glamaig race, he wore boots which while a pain to run in enabled him to glissade down the scree 

Roadrunner6 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Bog ninja:

The Ben and Jura, Goat Fell too.

rogerwebb 20 Feb 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

> Glamaig is one of the best races out there, great setting and bonkers racing from the gun. Make a long weekend of it if you can.

Well worth the experience. The only race I have been in with stone fall (for back markers only) 

An Teallach is well worth it. 

fimm 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Bog ninja:

Have a look at Glenshee 9 - might be too long? but if you want distance?

If you do it, do  NOT take the climb up Carn Aosda too hard or you will break yourself for the rest of the race (DAMHIKT)...

DaveHK 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> The Ben and Jura, Goat Fell too.

Too late for Jura at least. Ben entries open 1st of March I think.

DaveHK 20 Feb 2020
In reply to rogerwebb:

> Well worth the experience. The only race I have been in with stone fall (for back markers only) 

I knew Glamaig was a bit different when someone somersaulted past me on the scree!

DaveHK 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Bog ninja:

> A factor on a estate where I’ve been doing some surveying said he did the Glamaig race, he wore boots which while a pain to run in enabled him to glissade down the scree 

Brian Marshall on the other hand does it barefoot.

Harry Jarvis 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Bog ninja:

If you can round up some chums, you might like the Comrie Hills relay, organised by some friends of mine in Strathearn Harriers. There are four legs of varying degrees of difficulty, and an excellent spread of cakes and burgers at the finish. 

http://www.strathearnharriers.org.uk/our-races/simon-wake-comrie-hills-rela...

gavmac 20 Feb 2020
In reply to rogerwebb:

I seem to remember a story about a certain Mr Webb aggressively barging over a fellow competitor on the home straight ...  

Post edited at 16:06
 rogerwebb 20 Feb 2020
In reply to gavmac:

> I seem to remember a story about a certain Mr Webb aggressively barging over a fellow competitor on the home straight ...  

Who with a very well timed shove put me full face into a bog moments earlier...

Nothing like racing your friends to bring out the worst in you  

Lrunner 20 Feb 2020
In reply to rogerwebb:

A second vote for Dufftown, my local race, absolutely packed crowed, I think there was well over 5000 in the arena last year. Aboyne and Ballater are good highland games races as are most on Deeside. 

a personal favourite race is the the riverside sploged in lochaber not really a hill race but absolutely hilarious and anyone can win it at any point.

Lochaber'swinter league races aren't on Scottish hill Racing but are all great. 

Meall a Beachalle in aviemore is great sport. I wouldn't be too intimidated by any race.  I'm pretty sure you could rock up and do an AM cat race with no drama. 

I tend to avoid ALs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...