Recipe for disaster?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lrunner 02 Sep 2019

So I have a place for this weekend's Glencoe Marathon and have done very little "marathon training", I usually do about 30 miles a week which includes about 1500 metres of climbing or more. I do some pretty savage seasons with the local club and try and ride 100 miles on my bike if its sunny. 

My question is have I done enough? I never train with any brain and just like running. I raced yesterday and did 12 miles with 600 metres of climbing in 77 minutes and felt pretty good to be honest. I've done maybe three runs of 20 miles or more this year, all of which I hated. In most races I usually come in about 10% slower then the winner unless its got a techie decent but find that 10-12 miles is my favourite. 

I'm thinking if I run slow I should be fine? Some Ultra runners I know say crack on but I'm not so sure.

Am I being a total moron for turning up at all?

Post edited at 16:32
 Dark-Cloud 02 Sep 2019
In reply to Lrunner:

Not seeing an issue really, more than enough miles to get round it, but if you don't want to run it don't !

OP Lrunner 02 Sep 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

cheers, I recon I'll go for it. I lovethe  Lairig Mor race so half way through I'll feel I'm on home turf! 

Cheers

Lawrence

EuanM 02 Sep 2019
In reply to Lrunner:

Glencoe was my first marathon 5 years ago. Pretty certain I wouldn’t have been doing more than 30ish miles a week at that point. I wasn’t quick mind you. 

Sounds like you have done enough to get round the course and enjoy the day. Perhaps hold back a bit on the pace and see how you feel coming out of KLL. 

OP Lrunner 02 Sep 2019
In reply to EuanM:

that was the plan, if I were fresh KLL to Glen Nevis would be about 90 mins for me so maybe 2 hours  in the race? I know there is enough up and down to stop me seizing up so I'm just going to go for it. 

looking at results the race isn't super fast so as long as I don't get too ambitious I think I'll be ok.

I'm guessing its pretty well run as an event?

Dave B 02 Sep 2019
In reply to Lrunner:

How much do you want to hurt afterwards? 

OP Lrunner 02 Sep 2019
In reply to Dave B:

I got three days off work...

EuanM 02 Sep 2019
In reply to Lrunner:

Yes well run and friendly event. I might have another go at it next year. 

Dark-Cloud 03 Sep 2019
In reply to EuanM:

Everybody deals with training load in a different way, if pushed it any further than 40-50 miles a week I struggled to recover and it started to effect my work, it’s a fine balancing act

I did the Lakeland 50 last year, got round fine, just took it steady and enjoyed it, if you want to be competitive it’s a different story of course but I’m more of a completer.

steveriley 03 Sep 2019
In reply to Lrunner:

Tuck in, you'll be fine of course.

OP Lrunner 03 Sep 2019
In reply to steveriley:

fully committed now

Ridge 03 Sep 2019
In reply to Lrunner:

Bump for comedy thread juxtaposition...

thelostjockey 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Lrunner:

I think you'll be fine. Don't look at the clock, get your head up and enjoy the sky. It is not about stats but the experience. Enjoy the day. 

john arran 07 Sep 2019
In reply to Lrunner:

You probably know already but going above 20 miles or so will mean you'll need to be taking on nutrition mid-run. It took me longer than I care to admit to learn that feeling shit near the end of long runs or races was largely due to not eating, and then when I did try eating during a race I almost threw up because I wasn't used to it. Gels seemed easiest for me to cope with, a couple or three may be enough to see you through the extra distance but don't leave it too late to start taking them.

OP Lrunner 08 Sep 2019
In reply to john arran:

So having brought some gells, a running back pack on the way to race (proper prepared). I did it this morning. I went off way to fast and stupidly lead the first 12 miles, at mile 16 I was gumped and ended up coming in in about 4 hours, results not in yet but i recon I was top 10. Glad I did it but  never again! how people run ultras is beyond me! cheers for all the advice, even though by mile 15 i remembered i ignored most of it. 

Give me a quick up and down race any day.

just a side note about the event, at the end there was not a sausage food wise unless you paid for it- not even a banana. I think all the village halls that host races have spoilt me.

Edit: results just out, came 5th with a time just over 4 hours. Satisfied with that. 

Post edited at 19:12
 colinakmc 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Lrunner:

Well done sir, fantastic result from no planning. Reckon your 100 miles/week on the bike came into play there, I recall a friend performing very strongly in the Alps after  a successful leJog . What next then?

OP Lrunner 08 Sep 2019

In reply to

Bennachie Hill Race much more civilised. I'm taking the rest of the week off.

LAwrence

Dave B 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Lrunner:

Well done. 

How much do you hurt today? 

Would like feed back tomorrow too

OP Lrunner 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Dave B:

right side of my body is fine, my left side is super stiff. I'm finding it hard to eat, which isn't new for me as I have a small appetite but I'm finding it hard to make up the calories. done a bit of yoga and feel ok. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...