race vests

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dh73 07 Feb 2020

Does anyone use race vests on the fells?

I am thinking of getting one as it is hard work getting food out of a bumbag on the move

any tips on the best make  (relative to price)?

and size? is 5 litres big enough for standard fell race kit requirements and a bit of food?

vscott 07 Feb 2020
In reply to dh73:

lots of people using them in races etc. these days. 5l plenty for race kit but the bigger ones are often barely heavier so if you might want to use for longer days give more flexibility.

reccomendations - salomon ones among the best (they’ve been making them for a while so got the design refined), but other options good - worth trying on as fit and what works in terms of pockets etc. can be quite personal.

Roadrunner6 07 Feb 2020
In reply to dh73:

I have the ultimate Direction ultra vest and love it.

Plenty big enough. I always just used a 4l bumbag OMM I think.

r0b 07 Feb 2020
In reply to dh73:

Decathlon do a 5l race vest which is amazing value for money, perfect size for carrying FRA mandatory kit

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/gilet-trail-5l-water-id_8489223.html

Post edited at 16:39
 The New NickB 07 Feb 2020
In reply to dh73:

It may be just me, but I find race vests a little restrictive for faster running, so I only wear a vest when I need to carry more than FRA compulsory kit. I find a bumbag much more comfortable.

BattyMilk 07 Feb 2020
In reply to r0b:

I'm on my 3rd.

- (5l) Inov8 race elite with the hard bottles. Love it for shorter or flatter stuff stuff. Only gripe is that there's nowhere accessible on the front I can keep my phone. Bottle placement with the hard bottles is great and really non-invasive. This is my go to for when I'm on the flat and won't need too many additional layers.

- Raid light Olmo ulta 25 - bought this for my commute. I don;t like the size too much - it's too big for long weekend runs and a bit too small for my commute. The straps and back padding feel a little cheap and IMO have far too much padding which holds a lot of sweat. The waist belt also sits far too high for me. I have quite a prominent rib cage and the strap sits across my ribs. Doesn't work for me and I've not used it in over a year

- Inov 8 Race Ultra pro 2 in 1 - great without the expansion but with the expansion pack it's very unbalanced (at least with the provided bottles under the arms) and far too weighted towards the rear. I've not tried it with the extension and bottles on the shoulders yet. This may help.

The Inov8 race elite is my goto whenever I can get away with it. If I need to carry a bit more, I'll take the ultra pro but If I need to carry loads that would require the extension to be attached then I'll just take my OMM classic.

Post edited at 17:12
 stuartf 07 Feb 2020
In reply to dh73:

I have one of these which seems great for the price. There's a 5L one as well if you want something smaller.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/trail-running-backpack-10l-id_8488292.html

ianstevens 07 Feb 2020
In reply to The New NickB:

> It may be just me, but I find race vests a little restrictive for faster running, so I only wear a vest when I need to carry more than FRA compulsory kit. I find a bumbag much more comfortable.

Interesting, I’ve always found exactly the opposite! Personal preference I guess.

misterb 07 Feb 2020
In reply to dh73:

Osprey Duro 6 , very good carry with minimal kit like just water, or fully loaded. Enough space for everything for an ultra and added bonus of adding a layer of warmth and protection in the winter

Better designed than the Salomon one I have

SouthernSteve 08 Feb 2020
In reply to dh73:

I have a Salomon one - Adv Skin 12 about four years old. It has served me well, doesn't rub and is good for carrying anything demanded by a race director without too much care in packing. These things are very personal and you don't want to end up with one you don't like as they are not cheap, although I sold my first one which didn't work for me without losing too much as it was near new. I do like a small bumbag and run in with a band one most of the time for my phone, a small water bottle and my keys most of the time. The bigger ones seem to flop about (up & down) and I have not got on with them – perhaps I need a bigger backside!

p.s. vaseline/oil the zips intermittently.

Post edited at 08:02
 DancingOnRock 08 Feb 2020
In reply to dh73:

I have the Ultimate Direction mountain vest which is 20 litres. Probably a lot bigger than you’re after but I’ve run with it practically empty and it’s not a problem at all. Due to a mix up I ended up being sent the smaller Ultra and the Mountain vest so made a quick comparison vIdeo. 

youtube.com/watch?v=uMmJnsuWas4&

Stig 08 Feb 2020

> It may be just me, but I find race vests a little restrictive for faster running, so I only wear a vest when I need to carry more than FRA compulsory kit. I find a bumbag much more comfortable.

I've got a Salamon Adv 12 and it's not restrictive in the slightest, indeed it's incredibly comfortable even fully loaded. They last really well as well, even if the initial outlay seems steep. Like Steve mine is about 4 years old and looks new. That said I don't often use it for fell runs and hardly ever carry the FRA kit.

Mr Fuller 08 Feb 2020
In reply to dh73:

I don't get on at all with them. I run hotter than pretty much anyone I know, and the amount of spacer mesh that covers a race vest basically amounts to wearing an insulated gillet, leaving me sweating like a fat knacker.

Shaunhaynes99 08 Feb 2020
In reply to dh73:

I own 2 now: 

Solomon agile 2  which i use run where i want to carry a waterproof/ space blanket  few gels  snacks and a head torch and  encase of something awful hapens to me the cold. 

I think i will then team it up with my trail shorts when i start working my way up to 50km  and need to think about carrying a little more food.. i don't think id use it om races as i would only would pick race with a  short gap between  the aid stations

Kalenji  15l  which is good for run commuting as there is loads of space for work clothels and towels but it far to big for to actully race in. 

I have the issues of  running hot  and prefer to go out with just trail trail  shorts  and a handheld but sometimes  needs must for safely  or function 

Post edited at 16:26
 dsiska 08 Feb 2020
In reply to dh73:

I've only tried the Salomon Adv 12 vest and it works extremely well for me and lasts surprising amount of time. Mine is on its 5 year and still usable - one zip on a small pocket is gone (and I lost most of my snacks on Landgale Horseshoe) - other than that it's still ok. I've done a few races and every training run of 20+ km in it (say I do about 25 of these a year so say it's good for 2500km). 

As someone else said, they do make you a bit warmer. I mostly run in Scotland so for most of the year that's not an issue. 

I like it so much that I bought a new one in a sale (still unused, I am waiting for the other one to disintegrate more). 

bouldery bits 08 Feb 2020
In reply to dh73:

I have a Salomon Skin pro 10 which I use for longer days out. I think it's really nicely made, well thought out, and pretty comfortable. It's a sort of hybrid vest / backpack and can be found for a very good price on the interweb as of right now....

However, for this morning's run on Dartmoor, it was bum bag all the way! 

I'm with you nick, I've done plenty of medium fell races with just a bum bag, and never found that to be a problem

Being a sweat monster can't imagine enjoying having so much of my skin covered by an extra (tight fitting) layer. 

The New NickB 08 Feb 2020
In reply to Stig:

Obviouslsly personal, I’ve got the same vest.

CharlieMack 09 Feb 2020
In reply to r0b:

I just picked up their new 10l one. Very impressed for the price! Granted I'm still quite new to trail/ fell running. But given the tiny price, and ease of use features, I'm pretty pleased. I've tried my mate's £80 one that's as good. 

Nice way to test the water for the OP and I guess could then splash the dosh if they really get on with the idea of a vest and don't like the design of the decathlon one, which I'd be surprised. 

Decathlon seem to be bringing out more and more great cheap kit these days, if you know what you're looking for.

DancingOnRock 09 Feb 2020
In reply to CharlieMack:

Their shorts are the softest I’ve found without buying £35 Nike ones. 

Shaunhaynes99 09 Feb 2020
In reply to CharlieMack:

I love  the decathlon  stuff  i have trail shorts  15l and there climbing shoes and trousers. I even brough of there cheap fleece tops ( cost like 6 quid each) had them 6 montha and really cant fault them at all. 

I think they  even di there own gps watches and bike  computers  which id be interested ro try and there a lot cheaper then Garmin.

cousin nick 10 Feb 2020
In reply to dh73:

I have an Aonijie vest (can't remember model - it was about £20 new from Ebay) which holds a 1L bladder on the back and has useful sized pouches and pockets on the front. Great for longer runs locally and very comfy.

However, its not big enough for the mandatory kit on many events, so I bought a Salomon Adv Skin 5 too, which is plenty big enough for all the kit and very comfy. Best to try for size first though, and check that it works for you. The Salomon vest carries 2x 500ml soft flasks on the front of the shoulder straps, which when full, is how I imagine running with boobs would feel!  The stretchy back pouch and side pouches, together with the zipped pockets seem to just absorb everything needed. Also has a handy inner pouch specifically for the (mandatory) foil space blanket.

N

RankAmateur 10 Feb 2020
In reply to dh73:

OMM Trailfire fits brilliantly, but is severely minimal. If you want the mandatory kit list, you need to get an OMM Pod as well.

rob sykes 10 Feb 2020
In reply to dh73:

despite multiple tries i couldn't get on with a bumbag - it continually moved around on my hips. so i went for an ultimate direction ultra vest and i've just bought my second - i think it's a "4.0". it comes with two soft bottles. enough space in the rear pack for an extra layer and/or wind shirt. two small front pockets for phone etc. i use a medium (100cm chest approx) and would recommend them.

DancingOnRock 10 Feb 2020
In reply to rob sykes:

Yes. I posted my overview of it upthread. Good bit of kit. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...