Proper weatherproof running shell/outer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EuanM 13 Sep 2018

I’m looking to get a decent outer jacket for hill/mountain running through the colder months.

I’ve not had great experience with waterproof running jackets having purchased an OMM schmok and Salomon Bonnati Pro already. Both next to useless in heavy rain and wind. 

I’m not too fussed about it being breathable, I just want something that will properly shield from driving wind and rain.

A more fitted possibly lighter weight version of a gotetex climbing shell would be ideal. All I can find at running shops are expensive bin liners

Anyone have any suggestions? 

Thanks

blackcat 13 Sep 2018
In reply to EuanM:

I run in a goretex active shell which works well,but if your not bothered about breathability, any claimed waterproof shell would protect you from wind and rain,but you will still be wet from condensation build up but protected from windchill.

Post edited at 19:06
OP EuanM 13 Sep 2018
In reply to blackcat:

I think something a bit “thicker” than a regular running waterproof might be better.

Mine just seem to turn into saturated cling film. 

PPP 13 Sep 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Have you looked at the Montane range? 

DaveHK 13 Sep 2018
In reply to EuanM:

I really like my OMM Kamleika jacket through the winter months. It's still light but there's a bit more substance to it than the superlight shells.

OP EuanM 13 Sep 2018
In reply to PPP:

Not looked at their jackets but got a pair of their winter tights last year which worked really well. 

dr_botnik 13 Sep 2018
In reply to EuanM:

I quite liked the marmot driclime. They're pile and pertex, like buffalo but loads thinner, only slightly thicker than the omm stuff. They still get soaked through but just keep the wind off so are fine if you're moving. Unfortunately they seem to be discontinued for the moment so might be hard to find a stockist to check one out...

DaveHK 13 Sep 2018
In reply to EuanM:

TBH, running in heavy rain in the winter you just need to accept that you'll get wet. From the outside if you have your hood down, from the inside if you keep the hood up. Some jackets are better than others but nothing can cope with heavy rain and the sweat of a hard working runner. Just wear / carry enough to keep you warm when you're wet.

Jack Frost 13 Sep 2018
In reply to EuanM:

I'm no expert, but such a thing doesn't exist. By the laws of physics, if there's a barrier of water on the outside (from rain), then any condensation generated from body heat/perspiration on the inside has nowhere to go but stay inside the jacket and soak you. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. Breathability is for a dry-on-the-outside fabric, not when its soaking from the weather. The only workaround is to keep it loose around the cuffs/neck/waist to allow escape of moisture when moving otherwise wet clingfilm it is. Or run faster in a vest  

wbo 13 Sep 2018
In reply to EuanM:I've got a couple of goretex paclite jackets I use for running, cycling if it's really peeing down.  I can't recommend a particular jacket as I don't know you're size, shape or wallet size but a trip to an outdoor s shop should see you right. A jackets a hacker.

I agree a lot of running jackets are too light for heavy use.  The best I have is an Adidas climaso.ething softshell for everyday training

OP EuanM 13 Sep 2018
In reply to PPP:

Just found a Montane Spine Gore-Tex jacket with 50% off Ellis Brigham online. 

Seems ok value so will give it a go. 

Thanks for the suggestions and info 

Post edited at 22:19
 ianstevens 14 Sep 2018
In reply to EuanM:

> I’m not too fussed about it being breathable, I just want something that will properly shield from driving wind and rain.

> A more fitted possibly lighter weight version of a gotetex climbing shell would be ideal. All I can find at running shops are expensive bin liners

> Anyone have any suggestions? 

If you're not fussed about breathability (you should be), then why not try an actual bin liner?

Dark-Cloud 14 Sep 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Hmmm, not good news about the Bonnati, i was thinking about one of those.

The Alpkit Gravitas also looks worth a shout

deepsoup 14 Sep 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

Or you could split the difference between an 'expensive bin liner' and an actual bin liner here:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/raincut-mens-waterproof-jacket-black-id_8300326...

Cheap and cheerful old fashioned fold-up-into-a-pocket cag for a measly seven quid.  Great value for money.

ianstevens 14 Sep 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

I think a bin liner probably has a better cut, weighs less and is 100 times cheaper

Seriously though, all running waterproofs are sweaty (i.e. less breathable and more waterproof) or leaky, unless you work hard and get hot (i.e. more breathable and less waterproof). Haven't found a perfect one yet!

Post edited at 12:24
 deepsoup 14 Sep 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

> I think a bin liner probably has a better cut, weighs less and is 100 times cheaper

Heh, well you have a point there.  But it's likely to end up as litter if the wind takes it, and the sleeves and hood leave something to be desired.

> Seriously though, all running waterproofs are sweaty (i.e. less breathable and more waterproof) or leaky, unless you work hard and get hot (i.e. more breathable and less waterproof). Haven't found a perfect one yet!

I think you're right there, but I've never tried a hundred quid one. 

I have a couple of those Decathlon cheapies kicking about in my van usually, they're handy when caught out in a downpour without a proper jacket.  But for running I generally use one of the even cheaper offerings that pop up occasionally in the aisle of wonder at Aldi or Lidl.  (They tend to the "less waterproof" end of the scale, but keep the wind off and do fine for the relatively short distance/duration running I do.)

In reply to EuanM:

The Alpkit Gravitas would be a good choice, or the Berghaus Hyper 100 if you've a big budget (a very big budget, by the standrads of light shells): https://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/clothing/waterproofs/lightweight_waterpr...

Alternatively, our reviewer Dave got on swimmingly with the ME Impellor: https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/clothing/waterproofs/mountain_equipment_imp... 

OP EuanM 14 Sep 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I prefer it to the OMM one and it can cope in light rain but it just isn't thick enough to stand up to driving wind and rain.

One very useful and simple feature is a small button on the inside seam. Meaning you can unzip the jacket for venting but maintain general cover. 

planetmarshall 14 Sep 2018
In reply to EuanM:

> Anyone have any suggestions? 

Arcteryx Norvan jacket. It's cut close and has done the job for me running in some truly minging weather in Scotland, the Lakes, Wales and the Peak.

yorkshireman 14 Sep 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Lots of comments here about the fact that the waterproof holy grail doesn't exist, especially when you actually want to start moving in it.

I've actually got the Salomon Bonatti and use it for races because its super light. I did the TDS this year and spent around 12 hours in heavy rain including right through the night and I was fine because I had a decent base and mid layer on. Yes I sweated, but the layering kept the sweat away from my skin which frankly is all that matters. 

Admittedly I was moving at ultra pace so wasn't sweating as much as normal.

My wife's had the OMM Kameleika for years and it's really good. I'm actually planning to get a slightly bigger jacket so I can through it over my running pack rather than having to bring it off each time and am seriously tempted by it.

The Fox 14 Sep 2018
In reply to EuanM:

not had a mention yet, but Colombia Outdry - really good.

didn't the guy doing the spine last year (or dragons back, or something...) use it and it performed really well?

anyway, i think it does a great job.

OP EuanM 14 Sep 2018
In reply to The Fox:

Good pedigree 

wookie667 14 Sep 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Montane spine pull over. Best i have owned.

Dark-Cloud 14 Sep 2018
In reply to yorkshireman:

I thought the Bonnati had a pleat in the back for this, or do you still need to go up a size to make it work over a race vest ? 

Moley 14 Sep 2018
In reply to EuanM:

I tend to work on the theory that my skin is the waterproof layer and try to layer against wind chill and keeping some warmth inside that layer. I have long given up expecting to stay dry, I'm happy with warm and not too heavy from drenched clothing.

It might be an odd approach, but I never managed to stay dry after a few hours torrential rain and wind - whatever the make or material used.

yorkshireman 15 Sep 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> I thought the Bonnati had a pleat in the back for this, or do you still need to go up a size to make it work over a race vest ? 

Mine's 3-4 years old so maybe only on later models?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...