Princetown Dartmoor - 12k ish loop

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 07 Nov 2017

Will be in the Princetown area over the weekend and fancy a run (as climbing is sadly still off the cards). I would be really grateful for any suggestions for a good loop for 90 mins or so - happy to get off trail and cross some bogs / tussocks / get stuck in a ravine.

I was considering a loop of North Hessary, Little Mis, Great Mis, following the fence / a bearing to Lydford, Beardown, Longaford, Littaford, and back down the path before taking the road in from two bridges. Thoughts?

Thank you in advance for any ideas!

BB
 sg 08 Nov 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

Or you could go SE from Princetown to South Hessary and then more Sish (keeping well West of Foxtor Mires!). Various routes from there (could go out to Nun's Cross for example or stay further W still you could even follow Devonport Leat contouring round N of Burrator. Or even to Ditsworthy Warren then back W. Or go via Combshead down to Burrator. Then find a way up to Leather across Walkhampton Common (crossing the road) then follow some or all of the line of the old railway back to Princetown from the quarries at Ingra tor. A lot of that would / could be a bit less rough underfoot than going on to the North moor. Been years since I did anything there but by my rambling message you can probably tell I used to love wandering all over that area when we used to go down that way.
 Wainers44 08 Nov 2017

One of my favourites is Whiteworks, jump over the river Strane then follow the wall heading towards Swincombe. You are running alongside the flat...lovely....wet...Foxtor Mire!

As the Swincombe valley forms and steepens drop and cross the river using one of the islands (paddling only, not deep unless really rainy). On the far side climb about 20m to find the obvious track of the dry wheel Emma Leat. Head back west briefly then head direct for Fox Tor, going via the famous Childes Tomb. Enjoy the stunning views at the Tor, then use the obvious track to head back to Fox Tor.

Had enough? Head to car/Princetown...want a bit more, go due west briefly over moorland where you will find the Devonport Leat coming out of the tunnel which goes under Nuns Cross. Follow the good path next to the leat as far as you like getting back to Princetown by joining the South Hessary path wherever suits! Stunning quiet run with loads of interest!
OP bouldery bits 08 Nov 2017

Hmm... Thanks guys. Maybe I should head south for a different kind of adventure!
 Wainers44 08 Nov 2017

> Hmm... Thanks guys. Maybe I should head south for a different kind of adventure!

Sorry, typical to get suggestions, just not the an answer to the specific question!

The route you mentioned is perfectly OK. Just be ready for two particularly swampy bits along the fence from Gt Mis to Holming Beam. To avoid that....but running further, go straight N past Gt Mis to the River Walkham opposite Deadlake. Follow river up stream to the ford and then use the ROW, which is a half decent track back to Holming Beam. Then to shorten the end do Holming Beam to Beardown direct getting back to Two Bridges via Beardown Farm. Just too much to chose from really!
OP bouldery bits 08 Nov 2017
In reply to Wainers44:

Exactly! Loads to go at. Thank you for your great suggestions.
 Cheese Monkey 08 Nov 2017

If you fancy getting totally lost on a bit of Dartmoor noone ever goes to head to Ryders Hill via Green Hill from Nuns Cross in the South. Can take in the letter box memorial. Plenty of bogs and tussocks to play with

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...