Patching a hole in shoe upper?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alexm198 14 Feb 2021

On today's run I noticed I'm wearing a hole through the upper of my tragically expensive Salomon S-Lab Ultra 2. They are notorious for having a low toebox, so I guess it makes sense, but still a bit of a blow after only 120km. Would attempt some sort of warranty claim with Salomon but bought them (new) from Ebay so this seems like a nonstarter. 

Anyway, any suggestions on how I might patch or reinforce it before it gets any worse? Sugru maybe? Seamgrip!?

I understand the temptation will be to claim that my shoes are incorrectly sized but I do all my long runs in them and haven't had any discomfort or pain at all, so I really doubt it's an issue of fit. 

Post edited at 18:00
 TMM 14 Feb 2021
In reply to alexm198:

Shoe goo has worked minor miracles on various pairs of my road and trail shoes.

Post edited at 18:08
OP alexm198 14 Feb 2021
In reply to TMM:

Brilliant, thanks, wasn't aware of this. Will look into it! 

TMM 14 Feb 2021
In reply to alexm198:

I've used it to re-attach flapping bits of sole and also on the uppers. I often get holes where the upper flexes on the forefoot. Seems to work pretty well. Best repair was on pair of Saucony road shoes that I took off road. I just caught the soft fabric on the top of the toe box. I thought the damage might run so I intended to just pass a match over it to seal it. It turns out the material is highly flammable and I soon has a hole the size of 20p coin. A bit of shoe goo over the hole, a licked finger on the inside of the shoe to keep it smooth and it lasted perfectly for a further 1000k when the rest of the shoes expired.

nickcj 14 Feb 2021
In reply to alexm198:

Re run do iron on strips which I might try next time...

markk 15 Feb 2021
In reply to alexm198:

I use either McNett Seamgrip or Stormsure Flexible Adhesive for that sort of repair. Either would do. Depending on how advanced the wear/hole is, you may need to temporarily stick some masking tape inside to prevent it soaking through too quickly. Sometimes worth applying a couple of layers of adhesive.

Nic Barber 15 Feb 2021
In reply to alexm198:

+1 for shoegoo.

I've found that I get ripping on the uppers when I wear shoes not designed for terrain (e.g. road, trail shoes) through rough stuff. Never had an issue with upper rippage with the likes of VJ, Xtalon, Mudclaw and the like. Then I just have the sole part company from the upper at inopportune moments (e.g. BG leg 2, thankfully near the end.)

Garrouli 15 Feb 2021
In reply to alexm198:

The uppers on my Roclite's are mainly held together my seam grip and bike puncture repair patches. I use the seam grip for small holes and a combination of seam grip and patches for larger holes. I've probably done 400+ miles in them since and the patches are still there, which is great as holes started appearing in them after a few runs!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...