Paddy Buckley tips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 23 Jun 2019

Thinking about having a go solo at the start of August. It will also be largely onsight but I will have a good GPS trace to follow.

What hints and tips can you give me?

Ta.

ben b 23 Jun 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

There's a good section in Ron Turnbull's book (Welsh 3000ft Challenges) about the PBR with some useful notes about the route, although not that up to date the hills change little (but the access in the valleys is another matter). 

I'd ask on the FRA forum too - a few PBR positive folk over there too.

Have fun. Lovely route - have run bits of it and walked all of it (with small tent). 

b

OP DaveHK 23 Jun 2019
In reply to ben b:

Thanks Ben. I can view posts on the FRA forum but can't add stuff. Emailed them about it a few times but no response. I will look at the existing stuff though.

ross 25 Jun 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Hi Dave,

You'll do this no problem.

For an onsight the section after Moel Siabod (going clockwise) would be my Nav concern.

There was very little water available when I did it so I ended up carrying much more that I normally would on a round.  I don't know whether that's normal.  It was a very hot day but as far as I'm aware it wasn't a particular dry period, but I could be wrong.

Cheers, and good luck, Ross.

OP DaveHK 25 Jun 2019
In reply to ross:

Thanks Ross. I'd heard other people mentioning the water thing so I was planning to stash some at road crossings.

Roadrunner6 01 Jul 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Ron’s book is wrong on a few sections, he took the legally correct line, not the line everyone takes.

its pretty straightforwards, certainly use food and water drops. Nav wise the hardest sections are siabod to the moelwyns, it’s hard to know which summits are the correct ones, and aberglaslyn through to moel hebog.

pont caer gors will need asking about, there may be access issues now.

Roadrunner6 01 Jul 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Re tips,

most do night on snowdon as it’s technically easy. But you’d want day light by or soon after Y Garn.

if going quick people start early from capel.

really avoid wet rock for the glyders. 

You will have wet feet after the siabod boundary ridge section. 

OP DaveHK 01 Jul 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Was hoping you'd pop up. Cheers!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...