Owls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 30 Sep 2019

Not a thread about Mr Jackson....

Just back from one of my usual running routes that winds it's its way up a hill through a copse. The hoot of an owl took me by surprise. Now, I often hear an owl whilst out running or walking or whatever and yet I am always surprised by an owls hoot.

Has anyone else note card this?

Can anyone explain the mechanism by which an owl's hoot, even if it is anticipated, always seems to surprise?

Dark-Cloud 30 Sep 2019
In reply to bouldery bits:

Don’t know about hoots but the last time I heard an owl call it was this, it was 2AM in the hills wild camping as it flew over the tent, I sat bolt upright with my heart doing around 200bpm convinced I was about to be visited by some other worldly being....

youtube.com/watch?v=MTXIfS8kyKM&

mountainbagger 30 Sep 2019

> Can anyone explain the mechanism by which an owl's hoot, even if it is anticipated, always seems to surprise?

Not sure about an owl's hoot, but whenever I'm out running I am always unnerved by a bowel's toot.

OP bouldery bits 01 Oct 2019
In reply to mountainbagger:

> Not sure about an owl's hoot, but whenever I'm out running I am always unnerved by a bowel's toot.

Never trust one 

dh73 01 Oct 2019

i had an identical experience last week. also saw it fly across in front of me (barn owl i think as it was very white). I was doing hill repeats - clearly in its territory and it kept hooting throughout (or laughing at my p*ss-poor running - I am not sure). I convinced myself it was hunting me

same place last night, i surprised a badger which crashed away in front of me. also scared the crap out of me - if it had come for me i would have screamed - they are big animals!

not sure i am cut out for the great out doors - thank goodness we don't have wolves or wild boar anymore...

Ridge 01 Oct 2019

Shouldn't a running post be about Tapiring rather than Owls...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...