Open-ear headphones

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 31 Oct 2021

Does anyone use the open-ear headphones (either bone conducting or the newer Bose ones which seem like a small directed speaker) for running?

I’ve been thinking about them recently to still be able to hear traffic, listen for my dog running around me etc whilst still being able to pop a podcast on.

I tried some of the bone conducting style today and they were actually really good, though I’m not sure how they would be whilst running as moving them slightly altered the quality a bit and they weren’t the type which would stay completely still.

Ive looked at some Bose ones online too but they seem to only be available in the US from what I can see. These are more of a speaker which sits on the outside of your ear from what I can tell.

Any experience of them and pros/cons would be welcomed!

Le Sapeur 31 Oct 2021
In reply to James Malloch:

No experience with open ear, but if it's podcasts or audiobooks you are listing to I wouldn't worry too much. I listen to audiobooks with full on wedge in the ear rubber buds and can easily hear cars, cyclists and other people approaching. As for quality, again if it's podcasts, does that matter so much?

stuartf 31 Oct 2021

I have a pair of vidonn bone conduction ones that I use for running. They seem to stay in place fine and definitely let me be more aware of my surroundings. Audio quality is fine for exercising to.

Nik Jennings 31 Oct 2021

I have Aftershokz. Prior to getting them I hated headphones, but these are brilliant (for me, ymmv)

wert 31 Oct 2021

I use Aftershokz sportz bone conduction headphones and they’re great. I can move my head freely and they move with it. I can hear traffic and my music (including quiet passages in classical stuff) and can’t recommend them enough. It was a game changer for me and, in my experience, I’m definitely safer when running wearing them. 

Forest Dump 01 Nov 2021

Another vote for Aftershocks, and they're often on sale

OP James Malloch 01 Nov 2021

Thanks for the responses. It was the Aftershokz (Aeropex and Trekz Air) which I tried yesterday so it’s good to hear them being recommended. 

They were tethered to a display stand which interfered with the fit a little so hopefully that was what was causing some of the slight issues I found.

I’ll check out the Vidonn as well for a comparison. I won’t be using them loads but as long as they last for a few hours whilst I’m out then they should be fine for what I need/want.

With the Aftershokz, which model do you use? Wondering if it’s worth the extra for the Aeropex. 

neuromancer 01 Nov 2021

Personally I find bone conduction headphones to be a waste of time if you actually like listening to music rather than just some distracting background noise.

Try the bose soundsport (if you can find any anymore) which eschew noise cancelling for situational awareness. I cycle with them all the time and never miss traffic.

wert 01 Nov 2021

Mine are aftershokz sportz titanium which has been discontinued now I think. I’ve had them 18 months and they were cheap (£49) in comparison to the Aeropex you’ve mentioned. I was very wary before buying them because I’d only used earbuds or over ear headphones for running before but for various reasons I was never totally comfortable with either of those. Bone conduction was new to me and has made a huge difference to my comfort when running. Whereas before I was always conscious of my headphones, now I don’t even notice them. I can’t help with any other comparison of models I’m afraid. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...