OMM Tent Choice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi,

My girlfriend and I have entered the OMM this year, and are beginning to look at kit choices. I've got a tent that's about 10 years old and could probably use an update, so looking to find a tent that's light enough for OMM (happy to carry upto 2.5kg or so) but also good as a go-to replacement tent. Any advice/suggestions would be welcome. Ideally cheaper the better, but looking at this as a long term investment so happy to spend money.

Thanks,

Victor

Herdwickmatt 25 May 2021
In reply to victorhearnyeates:

How much do you want to spend?

bouldery bits 25 May 2021

Akto.

BB

DaveHK 25 May 2021
In reply to bouldery bits:

> Akto.

Solid but small, heavy and expensive in comparison to others. 

From the OPs spec it also sounds like they're probably after a 2 person tent.

Post edited at 20:11
 Kalna_kaza 25 May 2021

2.5kg is a generous weight for a OMM type event even when split between two people.

I have a MSR Elixer 2 which is about 2.3kg (my weight measured at home). Used it in Patagonia where it stood up to the weather far better than the lighter MSR tents. Bought because of the living space for two weeks trekking rather than being cramped into something smaller. It's cheaper than most decent tents because it's heavier.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/two-person-tents-c26/elixir-2-perso...

If I was buying something for only 2-3 data use at a time whilst racing I would go lighter, but at a higher cost.

I like the look and weight of the Nemo tents having seen them used a few times on the west highland way but I have seen them destroyed in Patagonia as the flysheets sit high off the ground so catch the breeze too easily, great for a sheltered spot though.

Wainers44 25 May 2021

I couldn't bear spending too much on an ultra lightweight tent which wouldn't get regular use.

So went for the Alpkit Ordos at about 1.6kg. I see they are currently out of stock but assuming they get some more they are a really good cost effective option. 

Dark-Cloud 25 May 2021

Budget ? 

Terra Nova Laser or Laser competition is what you will see the most, around 1kg.

The suggestion above for the MSR Elixir 2 is a good one, I have one as my non race tent and it’s great for the money

The Norris 25 May 2021

At the more budget end, we have used a decathlon lightweight tent on a couple of very windy, wet OMMs, it holds up fine and we happily use it for the odd short weekend away.

Think its about 1.8kg... 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/trekking-tunnel-tent-trek-900-ultralight-2-pe...

Thanks for the recommendations guys, the Elixir 2 was one I'd seen, but was worried it'd be a tad heavy. Ordos or Jaran had also come across for the list.

I like the double exit of the Jaran, but from reading about it, it doesn't handle wind as well. Ordos looks good and the weight difference between the Terra Nova and Ordos isn't huge, but would worry about it's usability for multi-day treks.

Post edited at 23:22
 Dark-Cloud 26 May 2021

I have used the Elixir 2 for wild camps, split between two it's not too bad, it is quite pole busy though and they are a bit long for a MM pack compared to things like the TN Laser etc. but still manageable.

Personally, of the Alpkit tents I have seen pitched I wouldn't bother, they don't look particularly good to me.

galpinos 26 May 2021

For mountain marathons, we started with some flavour of Laser but they are pretty cramped for two 6ft not particularly svelte gents and not ideal for two person camping on other occasions.

So, between us we now have:

• an Easton 1 kilo (discontinued but the design is along the Big Agnes Fly Creek which is what we would get as a replacement if required). This is a million times better "livability wise" than the Laser as you can both get to the porch and one person isn't banished top the corner with a damp fly stuck to their face. My mate also uses it camping with his 8yo and they love it.
  • a Big Agnes Tiger Creek UL 2 - This is a new purchase (lockdown finally got the better of me) and I'm pretty pleased. Weighs just over a kilo, two doors, plenty of headroom, pitches easily. Downsides are that there is a lot of mesh so not a warm tent (but also not a condensation filled tent) and the fly doesn't got RIGHT down to the ground, so horizontal rain may get under it. I have yet to use it harsh conditions so this is very much a "one outing and I'm very excited" kind of review.

The Tiger Wall at Ore Gap

https://www.instagram.com/p/COImSo5DCKi/

(Photo two shows it in the light!)

Post edited at 08:08
 spenser 26 May 2021

I recently did some research of short poled lightweight 2 person tents (for bikepacking), details of what I looked at are here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uFI3XBvHytdzbl1vjA0NRs3jrIf6Yib8U5x...

I went for the Sierra Designs Studio 2 in the end, very comfy and spacious for 1, no concerns about sharing it with someone either (but inner pitch first so not great to erect in foul weather). 

dread-i 26 May 2021

I've got the Terranova Laser Competition2 which is plenty big enough for one, and ok for two. Has doors on both sides, which is handy with two and gives a bit more space. Mine is an older model, so used to have lots of faffy bits of string to manage extra ventilation. Not sure if the newer models have that feature, but I removed it. I can pitch it in 8 mins on my own in the dark. Its sad that I've not only timed it, but can remember the number.

ben b 28 May 2021

You will inevitably get people recommending their tents, and a smaller number warning you away from theirs....

1kg is a realistic weight for racing these days, and for backpacking outside of winter 2kg is readily achievable.

My personal recommendation (due to weight/cost/strength being the right balance for us) is the Durston X-Mid 2P from the US; but not available until September as they tend to be released in small runs that sell out almost immediately. But 1.1kg plus 150g for the two poles if you aren't taking z-poles or similar. If you want lighter, their DCF Cuben version will be about 750g - in September again, but single skin so less versatile.

Many trekking pole tents are rather flawed, the poles are in the middle of the entrance, get in the way, don't sit properly, and the inners flap around or the doors drip into the inner when younopen them (as per recent ukc review of one). The X-Mid is actually spacious and a very cunning design, I'm looking forward to the full nylon inner being available next year rather than the mesh version currently produced (will get a solid one and then will be great both summer and winter, just change the inner tent round). https://durstongear.com/product/x-mid-2p 

The tent I used for the last 3 LAMMs was an REI Quarter Dome 2. Now available at 1.3kg and room for 2 (this is answer model). For the LAMM ventilation is good, as mesh inner keeps the mozzies at bay; for OMM use warmth may be a priority over ventilation.  https://www.rei.com/product/147863/rei-co-op-quarter-dome-sl-2-tent 

Edit - I see the REI is 20% off until 31 May for Co-op members (cheap signup). So 200 quid for a race tent that doubles as a lightweight backpacking tent is not bad, though the X-Mid is lighter, more spacious, and stronger but for a similar price - if you can find one.

Either way the most useful thing to take is a heightened sense of the ridiculous

Enjoy

b

Post edited at 02:51

galpinos 28 May 2021
In reply to ben b:

Ha! I can see our tent in the background (it's the bright yellow Easton 1kilo in the distance above your tent). That was quite a campsite (and race/event/location etc)!

ben b 28 May 2021
In reply to galpinos:

Excellent! Small world eh. I miss the LAMM…

cheers

b

galpinos 28 May 2021
In reply to ben b:

Same here. I did the "Scottish Mountain Marathon" the next year but the atmosphere wasn't quite the same, not sure why. Tragic that the Highlander and LAMM have both gone. The commodification of the OMM has meant I've never quite taken to it.

We've got spots o the GL3D next year due to the Scottish MM being cancelled this year and transferred entries but it doesn't look quite the same. I think I would have preferred to just to the Saunders. We shall see.......

Dark-Cloud 28 May 2021
In reply to galpinos:

I did the GL3D a few years back and quite enjoyed the format as a change to a pure MM.

jezzah 28 May 2021

Hi Victor,

I've done the OMM 4 times now and my choice has been either a Terra Nova ultralight voyager or a Terra Nova Laser 2 competition. Both great tents, I find the Voyager has a bit more space and can be used for other events quite happily. The Laser 2 is a bit low for me (I'm 6'2 tall) and so end up grovelling around, also unless you customise it, the Laser 2 comes with too many faffy guys and tension lines which don't really make much difference IMO. 

The Voyager has withstood a good few blowy OMMs and night in the fells whereas the Laser 2 is a fraction lighter but also not as strong into the wind.

My view is that you should find the tent you want and save up and get it, buy it once and be done with it for a good few years (My Hilleberg Atko is now nearly 14 years old and still going strong!)

Have fun making the decisions.

Cheers

Jez

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...