OMM kit list - Pen/pencil for map marking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 23 Oct 2022

Hello,

What are people using for: 'Pen/pencil for map marking (waterproof paper) in wet conditions' ?

I was thinking a Sharpie but something a bit more precise (ie, smaller nib!) may be more useful. 

Thanks all!

BB

James Malloch 23 Oct 2022
In reply to bouldery bits:

No idea, but sharpie do versions with pretty fine nibs. E.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-SHARPIE-Permanent-Marker-Ultra/dp/B00PHLBDC6...

OP bouldery bits 23 Oct 2022
In reply to James Malloch:

Those look ideal. I'll have to go on a hunt.

Thanks,

BB

probablylost 23 Oct 2022

Sharpies are rubbish at writing in the wet, though obvs waterproof once the ink has dried. You want one of these:

https://shavenraspberry.com/shop/notebook-pens/uni-ball-power-tank-pen/

Or one of these (cut in half to save weight?)

https://shavenraspberry.com/shop/notebook-pens/chinagraph-grease-pencils/

probablylost 23 Oct 2022

Should also say both will clean off a laminated map with a solvent 

greg_may_ 23 Oct 2022

We take one chinagraph and one POSCA paint pen with the finest nib. Can't remember having to use either except to cross off controls that are not in use at one MMM event.

CantClimbTom 24 Oct 2022
In reply to probablylost:

Thanks! Not OMM but other outdoor stuff I use https://www.weatherwriter.co.uk/Item/seawriter-pencil a seawater/scuba pencil but they don't work well on laminated, only waterproof notepads (etc) so I'll try the power tank pen you linked as a chinagraph alternative 

Post edited at 08:02
 ablackett 24 Oct 2022
In reply to probablylost:

Chinagraph is what we use, but as said you might only have to use it to mark on some map corrections. Unless they have changed the format so you get one map for both days and you have to mark up the active controls??

Nic Barber 24 Oct 2022

Why pens?

1.) So if you have an accident you can write down your grid ref/write it and other details of accident on another runner's map, so they have all the info they need to take to a marshal etc.

2.) marking up score course route.

greg_may_ 24 Oct 2022
In reply to Nic Barber:

Don’t forget;

c) drawing a moustache on your partner while they sleep at mid camp.  Then saying nothing the next morning.

Nic Barber 24 Oct 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

if a pencil: extra fuel for kit-check.

gravy 24 Oct 2022

My experience is that sharpies are dead once the tip comes in contact with water...

ro8x 24 Oct 2022

A chinagraph pencil is in my kit, my partner has one too but a different colour so tend to only use 1 pencil per day so its a different colour on day 2, helps to ignore yesterday's CP / Route when you're knackered. 

Good luck this weekend too - am on short score this year for my first OMM. Done Saunders and gone well at it but expecting this to be on another level.

tlouth7 24 Oct 2022

Orienteers traditionally used waterproof fibretip pens such  as a Staedler permanent lumocolor or an Edding 1800.

galpinos 24 Oct 2022

Linear or score?

If you are on linear, there is no requirement to mark the course up any more, it is done for you (cue long tirade on dumbing down of the challenge etc....). You just need it to write down info as per Nic's post. Any pen will do, though as mentioned, a sharpie and a wet map is a disaster.

If you are doing score, it's a different kettle of fish and a fine nibbed pen as recc'd by tlouth7 would be ideal.

Post edited at 13:06
 greg_may_ 24 Oct 2022
In reply to ro8x:

Usually get a day 1 and day two map, so two different coloured pens not needed for route marking persay.

Staedler permanent lumocolor - this lives in my bag anyway, same as the two in my orienteering box!  Probably should check if they work at the moment actually....

Fat Bumbly2 24 Oct 2022
In reply to tlouth7:

This one used a Bic biro - only maps were paper back then

ben b 24 Oct 2022

Overhead projector pen (kids, ask your parents/grandparents).

Staedler Lumicolour FTW!

b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...