Offa's Dyke record attempt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Welsh Kate 10 Sep 2020

For the avid dot-watchers amongst you, my colleague at both university and mountain rescue, Rob Smith is running the Offa's Dyke Path self-supported (so not even any caches along the way) - he's planning to stock up at pubs and burger vans

Rob's a previous winner of the Spine MRT Challenger and was supposed to be doing the UTMB last month, so this is his consolation.

If you'd like to follow him, his 'dot' will be heading out from Prestatyn tomorrow:
https://share.garmin.com/offasdyke2020?fbclid=IwAR3OFPtXqrVw7QyfwBjstVMlpac...

And if you fancy chucking a couple of quid his way in return for him providing a bit of late summer action for the desk-bound dot-watchers, here's his donations linky:
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/rob-smith-offasdyke?fbclid=IwAR3OFPt...

Thanks!

steveriley 10 Sep 2020
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Nice, I only know the top stretch but looks a good adventure, especially self supported! I did the top 26 last year on the Sea to Summit and end to end of the Clwydians - both lovely runs.

PFitz 10 Sep 2020
In reply to steveriley:

> Nice, I only know the top stretch but looks a good adventure, especially self supported! I did the top 26 last year on the Sea to Summit and end to end of the Clwydians - both lovely runs.

Love running in the Clwydians (which is good as I live in the middle of them), where does the end to end Route start/finish - llanarmon to Bodfari?

Kate- when does Rob plan on starting - if timing allows might shufffle up Moel Famau from home to wish him good luck as he goes past!

Post edited at 14:03
 steveriley 10 Sep 2020
In reply to PFitz:

We did it Llandegla to Bodfari. Your right on the Clwyds - perfect running hills!

OP Welsh Kate 10 Sep 2020
In reply to PFitz:

Not sure what time he's starting out - I suspect he's on the train north now as he wasn't even getting a lift to the start!

wynaptomos 10 Sep 2020
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Is there a known record for this already or does he have target time that he is aiming for?

OP Welsh Kate 10 Sep 2020
In reply to wynaptomos:

He thinks 60 hours will set a record but I'm not sure if there's a known record time for an unsupported run at present. It's 178 miles, and he should be capable of doing it, all being well.

OP Welsh Kate 11 Sep 2020
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Just had a report in from some pub - you'll see from his tracker that he had a bit of a nightmare near Oswestry, I'm not entirely sure what happened but I'm sure I'll find out at some point. He's struggling to find decent water supplies, perhaps inevitably given the route along ridges, but is making up for that in the pub with a shandy and bowl of chips!

OP Welsh Kate 14 Sep 2020
In reply to Welsh Kate:

73:25 end to end. Well within his target so pretty impressive going. 

Post edited at 10:09

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...