Northern Traverse Dot Watching

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

One for the dot watchers…

The Northern Traverse begins at 10:30 today. There’s some big names in it, with the likes of Kim Collison, Eoin Keith and Pavel Paloncy in the men’s and Anna Troup and Elaine Bisson in the women’s. 

Excited to see what unfolds!

https://live.opentracking.co.uk/northerntraverse2022/

Post edited at 07:49
 BusyLizzie 02 Apr 2022
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Thanks for that, I do like a bit of dot watching.

Bog ninja 02 Apr 2022

What’s happening at Black How, is there a diversion in place? All the lead runners have gone off course, I assume it’s because the plantation has been flattened by storms?

James Malloch 02 Apr 2022

My friends on this one - definitely keeping an eye on it!

mountainbagger 03 Apr 2022

Kim still going strong this morning.

They're all inspiring me for my much shorter event next weekend (which is long for me but now seems quite doable especially as I am aiming to start and finish in daylight and there's no chance of getting lost!)

BusyLizzie 03 Apr 2022
In reply to mountainbagger:

What's the event you're doing next weekend?

ablackett 03 Apr 2022

Kim looks due to finish in just over 40 hours, record by Damien Hall is 39:18:33 Would it be a C2C record if he beat it, or is is a different route?

Post edited at 14:50
 mountainbagger 03 Apr 2022
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> What's the event you're doing next weekend?

My first 50 mile event! Fairly flat (apparently) looped course in Kent. I think it'll be a good test before I commit to lumpier point to point 50 mile-ish events. Then...who knows? If I build up one event at a time, maybe I'll get to do things like the Spine Sprint or even the Spine Challenger and I'll be the dot! The Northern Traverse and the full Spine itself are a bit unfathomable/insane right now 😯

James Malloch 03 Apr 2022

We went to cheer on our friend (currently first female) today. They looked surprisingly good given we caught them at 173km and they’d been going for 28 hours!

Cant stop for watching!

ablackett 03 Apr 2022
In reply to ablackett:

> Kim looks due to finish in just over 40 hours, record by Damien Hall is 39:18:33 Would it be a C2C record if he beat it, or is is a different route?

He's slowed down a bit, more like 42 hours + now.

In reply to ablackett:

> Kim looks due to finish in just over 40 hours, record by Damien Hall is 39:18:33 Would it be a C2C record if he beat it, or is is a different route?

Sorry for the delayed reply.

If he had beat the C2C record/FKT then I see no reason why he wouldn't, because it's the same route. As events transpired he didn't, but it'd have been a tall order to given that he was carrying all his kit (which Damian most definitely wasn't).

That said, he has beaten the record of the Northern Traverse Race, which was 51 hours.

In reply to James Malloch:

> We went to cheer on our friend (currently first female) today. They looked surprisingly good given we caught them at 173km and they’d been going for 28 hours!

> Cant stop for watching!

Ahh great, is that Lisa? I don't know Lisa well, but I know her to say hello to, and (randomly) went to Lundy with her husband - Mike - a few years ago.

Lisa's lead really is outstanding, especially given the calibre of the other entrants, but from a former Dragon's Back winner I'd expect nothing less. It's hugely inspiring...

In reply to Bog ninja:

> What’s happening at Black How, is there a diversion in place? All the lead runners have gone off course, I assume it’s because the plantation has been flattened by storms?

Sorry, turns out I missed this as well - too much dot watching, too little posting!

I'd assumed the same as you - it must have been a diversion.

Nic Barber 04 Apr 2022

Must have been a diversion, but given that my father-in-law organised a race over the planned (and diversion) route a couple of weeks back, the forest was in suitable nick and available for an event recently.

In reply to Nic Barber:

> Must have been a diversion, but given that my father-in-law organised a race over the planned (and diversion) route a couple of weeks back, the forest was in suitable nick and available for an event recently.

How strange! Wonder what went on there then?!

Hope you're keeping well btw. Half expected to see your name on the start list.

Nic Barber 04 Apr 2022

na sod the long involved stuff I'm going to stick to fell racing for the foreseeable - I've decided I enjoy actual racing not suffering!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...