Newbie runner seeks help :)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kbow265 09 Feb 2013
Having not done any form of regular running in just over a year, I went out today and did 9.5 miles with some hills and offroad sections. It took me two hours though, which I'm guessing is slow for a 19 year old female.

During the spates of vaguely regular jogging I entered a 10k and several cadet cross country events. Would quite like to have a go at a fell running event, what sort of pace do you need to be running at to have a chance of finishing in a reasonable time?
 papashango 09 Feb 2013
In reply to florence58:

In a fell race? I don't think it really matters how fast you are going to start with, as long as you are enjoying yourself... Sounds cheesy but enjoyment is what it's all about.

But if you really care have a look at some race results and you'll get an idea of the pace people are running at the front/middle/back etc. I think you'll be surprised how far up the field you'll be at that pace.
 Radioactiveman 09 Feb 2013
In reply to florence58:

Dont think I could have managed 10 mile after a year off running, if I did I would have been crippled next day so well done

I would suggest joining a fell running club in your area and then doing some shorter races

I havent done an immense amount but the races I have done had people of all abilities and speeds. Do it for the pleasure and dont worry about pace straight away (just getting to the finish is my goal)
 AdrianC 09 Feb 2013
In reply to florence58: Every race I've ever done (quite a few now...) has had such a wide range of abilities in it and I can't ever remember any kind of condescension to those of us who were going slower. I'd just find a few events and start doing them and see how you go - they're great fun and I also suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised.
 Solar 09 Feb 2013
In reply to florence58:
Have a look at your local running club. My local one do a beginners session once a week, and are very encouraging. Don't always think this mid way through hill rep sessions, but my pace and technique has improved loads.
Solar
 Banned User 77 09 Feb 2013
In reply to florence58: Its impossible to say..

Jura is 16 miles and only a small % manage it in 4 hrs, which is 15 min miling..

Many others will be around 7-8 min miling.

Somebody has to come last as they say.. just go out and try a short race, see where you come. Then have a google/race results of those around you or ask them how they do and build up the race distances...

Banned User 77 10 Feb 2013
In reply to florence58: For races check the scottish hill runners site.. or scottish hill racing.. the latter tends to have more info.. think they are both ran by the same person..
 ohsmeg 22 Mar 2013
In reply to florence58:
Look at various race finishing times to get an idea of pace. Otherwise just get out there and enjoy yourself. Happy running!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...