Mountain Marathons - what's on your feet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 20 Feb 2018

Just wondering what others wear on their feet for mountain marathons?

In the past i've used Adidas Swoops and these were great (sadly discontinued) and I've also used Inov8 x-talons, which I found great on the grip side but not really supportive enough for that long a day.

Considering something with a bit more support, like a Salomon Speedcross pro, for these longer events but I want to keep the aggressive grip.

Any recommendations?

(I accept the usual disclaimer that it needs to fit ok) 

Thanks folks!

Post edited at 22:35
 Rampikino 20 Feb 2018
In reply to bouldery bits:

Asics Trail shoes. Would need to check the actual model.

Not perfect for grip but rugged enough to get through most terrains. I've worn them on long runs (I did the Sandstone Trail Ultra in them - 34 miles). Been over Yorkshire 3Peaks twice in them.

edit - Venture 6 I believe.

Post edited at 22:52
 Dark-Cloud 21 Feb 2018

I have seen people wearing all sorts, personally I have used inov8 roclites, Salomon Speedcross and Salomon slab sense SG’s, long contouring legs in the speedcross and trail shoes can be a pain but I generally go with the shoe that suits the conditions on the day but generally speaking a low profile fell shoe should be best suited to most events

yorkshireman 21 Feb 2018

For the past 5 years I've been wearing various models of Brooks Cascadia in the ultras that I do. Rugged and comfortable - the grip isn't amazing but if running 12-36 hours I'm unlikely to be going fast enough for super aggressive traction to be the primary concern.

Horses for courses though - during the CCC last year in the first few KMs out of Courmayeur there were some guys taking a survey of all the shoes being worn, shouting them out as we passed and somebody else noting them down on a clipboard. Basically from what I heard there was a wide range, and I guess the takeaway is that people wear what is right for them and the only way to know what that is, is by experimenting.

galpinos 21 Feb 2018

Inov8 Mudclaw 300

I did use the X-Talon 212 once but they aren't quite as aggressive and that last descent to mid-camp on day 1 or the finish on day 2 had more bum sliding in the Talons as my legs were tired and foot placement poorer. Low profile sole and the biggest lugs around are key for me.

More-On 21 Feb 2018

Inov8 8 x claw 275

Think of grip akin to mudclaws, but wider and with a tad more drop, which suits me better for all day/two day events.

StuDoig 21 Feb 2018

Salomon Fellraisers for the past few years - been great on Highlander and OMM plus general hill footwear through the summer.

Cheers!

Stu

The New NickB 21 Feb 2018

These guys will put a Walsh sole unit on pretty much whatever you like:

http://lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/running-shoe-repairs-and-resoles/

Ive not tried it yet, but I fancy putting a Walsh sole on an old pair of comfy road shoes.

greg_may_ 21 Feb 2018

Mudclaws here unless it's going to be dry, then X-Talons.

galpinos 21 Feb 2018
In reply to More-On:

The X claws are massive across the fore foot though. If he was wearing X talons, then they'd be far too wide. Contouring would be (even more of) a nightmare!

wbo 21 Feb 2018
In reply to bouldery bits:depends but default is Sense  ultra SG.  It totally depends on your feet - Inov8 are obviously popular but they don't work for me.

I have a big weekend later this summer and I'm considering going Hoka for that

Dark-Cloud 21 Feb 2018
In reply to wbo:

Inov8 don't work for me either, firmly in the Salomon camp

I tried some Hoka's for longer distance trail stuff and was impressed to start with but am convinced they gave me a knee niggle, gone back to Salomon exclusively and no issues, so if you do go Hoka give them a good month before committing to anything in them.

Simon Caldwell 21 Feb 2018

I've always gone for Mudclaws, but Inov8 recently completely changed their sizing and they no longer fit me properly.

Why do all companies seem to have the need to keep changing things like this?

More-On 21 Feb 2018
In reply to galpinos:

I agree the x claws are wider (as I noted), but I wouldn't say they are massive as I wear both x talon and x claw without issue on all terrains. I just switch between them based on length of time on my feet and weather.

Anyway, all helpful comments for the OP to consider

petegunn 21 Feb 2018

Sportiva Mutants for me.

Very comfy over long distances, stable with good grip.

Quite a high drop but I've never gone over with them on.

http://www.roadtrailrun.com/2015/04/review-la-sportiva-mutant-very.html

Post edited at 13:43
 galpinos 21 Feb 2018
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> I've always gone for Mudclaws, but Inov8 recently completely changed their sizing and they no longer fit me properly.

What! From which ones to which ones?

galpinos 21 Feb 2018
In reply to More-On:

> I agree the x claws are wider (as I noted), but I wouldn't say they are massive as I wear both x talon and x claw without issue on all terrains. I just switch between them based on length of time on my feet and weather.

I must say, I have never run in the x claws as from trying them in the shop they just felt massive so your experience is more valid.

Simon Caldwell 21 Feb 2018
In reply to galpinos:

Not sure, it was a couple of years ago I think. I used to use size 8 and could comfortably fit Sealskinz inside for winter use. Now size 8 are just about OK wearing very thin socks,. In January I got a pair of 8.5 for my SealSkinz but even those are slightly too small and I ended up with a bruised toe, but they're much too big for summer use.

More-On 21 Feb 2018
In reply to galpinos:

For the benefit of OP and others I should add that I find little difference in the heel and midfoot. It's the forefoot that I find wider on the x claws.

Does also give more space for thicker socks if necessary  

greg_may_ 21 Feb 2018
In reply to galpinos:

Twice in the last 5 years.

Now you have three versions of Mudclaws to run the gauntlet depending on the year model you find to buy - New, classic, or precision fit.  Classic has a different heal shape - aka, the good one.

Lets not even start about X-talons. 4 diffident weights now, and the fit is not standard across them. 

galpinos 21 Feb 2018
In reply to greg_may_:

> Twice in the last 5 years.

> Now you have three versions of Mudclaws to run the gauntlet depending on the year model you find to buy - New, classic, or precision fit.  Classic has a different heal shape - aka, the good one.

I'm on the black and red ones but they are on their last legs. Do the new fluro ones differ in fit then? Not noticed the "classic", they look nothing like the originals I remember wearing.

> Lets not even start about X-talons. 4 diffident weights now, and the fit is not standard across them. 

I just stick with the 212s and hope the 230s are similar when the inevitable happens.....

DaveHK 21 Feb 2018
In reply to StuDoig:

> Salomon Fellraisers for the past few years - been great on Highlander and OMM plus general hill footwear through the summer.

The new version of these is a real improvement, much better on rock. Speedtrak they're called.

ben b 21 Feb 2018

I think you need to clarify what you mean by mountain marathons

If you mean generally trackless, tough high country events where following paths is unusual but long steep traverses and screaming descents are needed, then my perception last year on the LAMM was mostly inov-8s (generally mudclaws or X-Talons) and some walshes, then a smattering of others.

The thought of doing an event like this in a pair of Asics trail shoes or Brooks Cascadias is making my ankles hurt.

On the other hand, if you're thinking marathon length plus events, mostly on formed trails, then it's a different matter. Here in NZ mostly various flavours of Salomons and a few La Sportivas. 

cheers

b

Steve Hayward 21 Feb 2018

Another vote for Salomon Fellraisers. ..

thommi 21 Feb 2018

I really get on with the x claw for proper rough stuff (like what Ben b mentions above), but otherwise peregrines all day long.

OP bouldery bits 21 Feb 2018

Thanks all, some great suggestions!

climbingpixie 21 Feb 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

I love my Speedtraks! I've done almost 300 miles in mine now and I've been really happy with them so far. Not quite as grippy as Mudclaws but comfy, lightweight and supportive. I'm doing the Saunders this year and they're the shoes I'm planning to wear for it.

BusyLizzie 22 Feb 2018

This is a related question, not qute a hijack but apologies! I have just bought my first pair of trail does- -Salomon Speedcross. They are brilliant for muddy runs in the Chilterns, which is what I've been doing all winter - lots of traction, warmer than the Brooks Ravenna I've been using for roads.

They are odd but ok on roads. However, on the very rare occasions they have met wet stone - running across the edge of someone's stone-paved driveway (just no stone paths round here) they skitter in a terrifying fashion and bring me to an old-lady-ish halt lest I end up with my ankles round my neck. I think there was a thread about this a while ago.

So ... what do I need for summer runs in more interesting hills - I want to do the Nine Edges, and I'm thinking of the stone-slabbed path above Stanage etc, maybe et. Do I want a trail shoe with a vibram sole, or what?

Grateful for collective wisdom!

Lizzie 

DaveHK 22 Feb 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Some Salomon shoes are pretty bad on rock, Speedcross included. The Speedtrak are much better. I can't speak for other brands.

SouthernSteve 22 Feb 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Speedcross are poor on smooth rock, but generally OK as already said. Watch wearing them for too much road work though - you will be through that fancy sole very quickly - when I was coming back from injury last year I wore them for everything as they were my most comfortable, but I swear I could see the, in this case, yellow sole disappearing after each run.

The New NickB 22 Feb 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Shoe choice is all about balancing the demands of the terrain with strengths of the shoe, however once you start mixing terrain it can get difficult. I have used Speedcross quite a lot on a mix of pennine moorland, muddy tracks, cobbled roads and compacted tracks, never had a problem with grip on rock. I had a bad fall on wet rock on Ill Bell in the Lakes a few years ago, I was wearing much grippier X-talons. My local parkrun is all off road, but hilly with cobbles, people often make the mistake when doing it for the first time of doing it in fell or train shoes, it is much better and safer in road shoes, which grip much better on wet cobbles. I'll often do a trail route in road shoes if I think I can get away with it, more comfort and better grip if it is a rocky route.

StuDoig 22 Feb 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Great, cheers for the tip Dave - will try them when the current pair wear out!

Cheers,

STu

BobtheBagger 22 Feb 2018

As 'ben.b' said, much depends on your main use, many of the suggestions so far seem to be from ultra runners, who probably run most of their routes on footpaths or hard pack tracks.  You asked about MM´s, so I would expect you to be running off  paths and tracks for the majority of the event, clearly a very different thing.

I'd suggest you look at La Sportiva, I prefer them to Inov-8 for contouring and anything likely to be wet, which sounds like most MM´s I've done.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...