Mountain Marathon Tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 greg_may_ 08 Feb 2017
After 10 years my trusty TNF MM tent has seen better days. Used it at the OMM back in October with a very ... patient wife who was happy enough to deal with the slight leaks and use of a tactical twig or two to keep the flysheet and inner apart. Had the rain kept up we'd have had a very moist night.

Other than the ubiquitous Terra Nova Laser Comp. 2 - are there any other options which come to mind within the same budget and weight that people have used and would recommend?

Problem for this year being a taller race partner for this year (wife was already 8 weeks pregnant at the OMM!) and trying not to spend too much money that I should probably be spending on the expectant child's education fund or something boring like that.
 Simon Caldwell 09 Feb 2017
In reply to greg_may_:

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/tents-shelters-c25/all...

Lighter than the Comp 2 was, and is a genuine two-person tent, rather than a 1-person tent that you could squeeze two into. They're starting to be quite common at mountain marathons, a definite challenger to Terra Nova's ubiquity.

There's a new model currently being tested apparently that is a little over half the weight...
 Dark-Cloud 09 Feb 2017
In reply to greg_may_:

You don't seem to see anything at the mid camp apart from TN Laser comps or variations of, i would buy another if i had to replace mine
 StuDoig 09 Feb 2017
In reply to greg_may_:

bought a Nordisc Telemark 2 ULW last year and so far it's been good. Spacious enough for 2 easily. Not tried it in properly bad weather yet though so no idea how it performs. Wind Tunnel tests seem to suggest it'll hold up to most abuse but doubt you'd get much kip!!

Cheers,

Stu
 johang 09 Feb 2017
In reply to greg_may_:

Another one here for the Telemark 2, cracking tent, easy to pitch (inner and outer together), ~800g, I've used mine at 500m on an exposed hilltop on the Northumbrian Border Ridge in reasonable winds.

Downside is that condensation is noticeable, but has never been a significant issue. Used mine on both 2015/2016 OMMs with no complaint. Last year shared it with my 6'2" running partner, and still plenty of room - no need to be best of friends...

I do believe Nordisk are looking at improving the ventilation (reducing condensation) of the telemark2, but you'd really have to talk to either Nordisk (or ARK Consultants - UK distributer) for verification on that.

On the other hand, when I was still working in outdoor shops, we found Terra Nova to be a pain to deal with when regarding product returns/repairs etc. Food for thought.

Simon Caldwell 09 Feb 2017
In reply to StuDoig:

We've had our Telemark2 since 2013 and apart from a small hole where I trod on it, it's held up very well. We've used it for pretty much every MM since the 2013 OMM, including the 2014 Cheviot OMM where it was windy enough to capsize several tents. Ours survived despite having pitched it in the most exposed part of the field, though (as with the Lasers) it made so much noise that sleeping was hard.

Only problems we've had:
1. The supplied pegs did not fit through the rings. This has since been corrected, but the pegs are rubbish anyway, we used them on a different tent and they snapped after a couple of uses. Get some cheap Alpkit titanium ones instead.
2. Pitched with feet towards the wind, the outer and inner get blown together and touch, letting water wick through. So we now aim to pitch head into the wind instead
3. Unless they've changed, it comes without guy ropes for the sides, which is inexcusable on a tent of this price.

But these are minor, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Even just the fact that it's genuinely big enough for 2 means it's actually possible to get a good night's sleep, a tremendous advantage on a MM.
OP greg_may_ 09 Feb 2017
In reply to greg_may_:

Somewhat tempted to follow the herd on this one. TN have some at quite a nice discount at the moment on some end of line tents. But lots of positive on the Nordisk too.

Partner is 6ft 4in so that's a minor problem - but we're pretty narrow at least.
 galpinos 09 Feb 2017
In reply to greg_may_:

We moved from a Laser Comp to an Easton 1 Kilo, the slight weight penalty was definitely worth it. We are both on he "bulkier" side for runners and are 6ft and 6ft 1" so a Laser was very cramped, sleeping involved spooning and general hanging out in the tent was pretty rubbish. The Easton is much more livable and roomy. No need for those extra beers at the Highlander (RIP) as an excuse to stay in the marquee.

Though the Easton is discontinued, it would make me look at alternatives to the laser as, though it was the only real option for a while it now has stiff competition and the number of Lasers at midcamp is mainly due to them having been the default option for so long and lack of imagination.
 DaveHK 09 Feb 2017
In reply to greg_may_:

I had a Laser 2 and returned it when some stitching came undone on the inner. It was OK roomwise for 2 for one night and certainly stood up to the weather but I thought it was fiddly to pitch and ventilate and there are lighter, roomier options nowadays. Also a pal borrowed it and said he got savaged by midgies after they crawled in through the holes for the vent cords!
 london_huddy 09 Feb 2017
In reply to greg_may_:

I really like my Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 - loads more room than the avarege MM tent and 1.2kg
OP greg_may_ 10 Feb 2017
In reply to greg_may_:

Did a bit more reading last night and took some measurements. Have opted for a Telemark 2 - the extra bit of size clinched it for me. I expect with another 10 years I'll probably be a little wider
 StuDoig 10 Feb 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Cheers for the feedback on it Simon, good to know! Mine came with a "free" storm pitching kit (the side guys and a couple of more heavy duty pegs) so not an issue for us. Agree it's fairly ridiculous not to include that at the price as standard! We used it for the highlander last year, but given the fantastic weather it wasn't really tested! Guess it'll more likely get put through its paces at the OMM this year!

cheers,

Stu
OP greg_may_ 27 Feb 2017
OP greg_may_ 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

That I did!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...