More Mile fell shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dh73 13 Jun 2019

Has anyone run in the more mile fell / trail shoes? I generally use the salomon speedcross 4 which suit me but are a bit pricey and I was thinking of getting a pair of the more miles as a second shoe to train in to make the salomons last longer.

reviews on-line are mixed though with the main issue being their durability. and I spotted a runner at the end of a fell race this year with the sole hanging off! (although he still beat me  ) not sure how many miles he had done in them though

robert-hutton 13 Jun 2019
In reply to dh73:

I have some and they lasted a winter, they split on the side as I have a quite wide foot  I found them like the old Walsh's, a mate has a pair and his are like new with 10 months running, now running in the soil shakers same price but a bit more robust.

OP dh73 13 Jun 2019
In reply to robert-hutton:

thanks, I suppose you get what you pay for and the low price is a reflection of them not lasting long

before they disintegrated, were they good shoes on the fells though?

robert-hutton 13 Jun 2019
In reply to dh73:

Very good grip better then speedcross, feel very sensitive like the old Walsh's and quite lightweight wouldn't like to do a long day in them but good for a couple of hours max.

Fiona Reid 13 Jun 2019
In reply to dh73:

I bought some last month based on UKCers recommendations. I've worn mine for a 3-4 hill days (mostly walking and running the downhills) and so far so good. On bog, grass etc they are pretty good and grippy. On rocks a little bit of care is needed as the sole lugs are quite deep and soft and thus they move about a little bit but I guess as the lugs wear that will become less of an issue. 

For the £20 posted that I paid I've no complaints (except for them having pink on then - the womens ones either had pink or purple....grrrr)

mbh 13 Jun 2019
In reply to dh73:

I haven't but a UKC thread persuaded me to try these 'Higher State Soil Shaker Trail Running Shoes':

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/hst1288/higher-state-soil-shaker-trail-...

I got mine for £25.

I have used them a few times so far for a few miles each time on the sometimes boggy moors near me and they have been fine for that.

girlymonkey 13 Jun 2019
In reply to Fiona Reid:

>  I've no complaints (except for them having pink on then - the womens ones either had pink or purple....grrrr)

I recently played the game of internet ping-pong to try to get some good fell shoes for walking guiding work. I wear through them really quickly and have incredibly awkward feet so this is an all too regular game. One pair arrived with purple on them and my husband immediately said "those are the right ones, they must fit you best as they have purple!". And he was right!! It's always they way, no matter how many different coloured ones I order, it's always the purple which fits!!

OP dh73 13 Jun 2019
In reply to dh73:

thanks all. I have ordered some more mile ones. for £20 it is no great problem if they are crud!

now all I need is some stronger legs and better lungs so I can actually run!

Pedro50 13 Jun 2019
In reply to mbh:

> I haven't but a UKC thread persuaded me to try these 'Higher State Soil Shaker Trail Running Shoes':

> I got mine for £25.

> I have used them a few times so far for a few miles each time on the sometimes boggy moors near me and they have been fine for that.

I bought some as they were cheap as chips. To me they seemed clunky, heavy and clumsy. They have gone to the Salvation Army shoe collection container. 

mbh 13 Jun 2019
In reply to Pedro50:

Not to me. I still use them.

For what I do, they have been just as good as the Inov8-whatevers I have that I also use on the moors.

Whether they will last as long I don't know. Not that that is the main issue here, but my experience is that price is no guide at all to the longevity of a running shoe.

Post edited at 14:47
Moley 13 Jun 2019
In reply to dh73:

I have had quite a few pairs over the years and the later models are more durable than the earlier.

I too have wide feet and split out the sides, but I also do that on running shoes at four times the price. For a training shoe and not too serious high milage runner they are well worth a punt.

Bulls Crack 22 Jul 2019
In reply to dh73:

i had a pair of MM's but had to give them up since the cut-away heel profile made my feet turn increasingly inwards towards the end of a run so that I was constantly rolling onto my instep.

next pair coincidentally were Higher State soil shakers which apart form being a bit baot-like for my narrow feet, were good on wet/boggy ground (unsurprisingly!)  but useless/ldnagerous on even mildly damp rock

mountainbagger 22 Jul 2019
In reply to dh73:

> thanks all. I have ordered some more mile ones. for £20 it is no great problem if they are crud!

> now all I need is some stronger legs and better lungs so I can actually run!

Am I alone in wondering if they are purple?

mbh 15 Aug 2019
In reply to Bulls Crack:

What fell/trail running shoes are least worst on wet rock? What aspects of the sole to look out for? Soft rubber? Knobbly? Smooth?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...