Men's running tights.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 09 Oct 2020

So, it seems my winter tights are losing their stretch and getting rather on the saggy side, so need replacing.

As I always used to overheat in them anyway, I'm after something a bit shorter and looking at 3/4 length ones, but struggling a bit with finding the right fit.

I've bought a pair of Montane Trail series 3/4 ones, which are spot on for width, but seem a bit short on the leg - the mesh panel that's supposed to be behind my knee is up the back of my thigh.

I'm looking at a pair of 2XU Accelerate 3/4 tights as an alternative - does anyone know how they compare for fit, or can recommend any others?

Thanks in advance.

The New NickB 09 Oct 2020
In reply to LastBoyScout:

In classic UKC style, I will inform you that you are asking the wrong question. You don't want 3/4 length tights, you want lighter weight tights.

I've got about a dozen pairs of running tights: Asics, Adidas, Salomon, 2XU, Skins. However the comfiest and best fitting ones are from Decathlon. They do them in a range of weights as well. My preference in the Autumn weight ones for winter, but I will wear shorts for most of the year, so maybe run a bit hotter than average.

OP LastBoyScout 09 Oct 2020
In reply to The New NickB:

Nope, I'm askingthe right question - I don't want the bottoms to get wet and heavy from puddles at this time of year

I've just found a few more options searching on Sport Pursuit, so that might keep me going...

Ridge 09 Oct 2020

I quite like the Alpkit ones, only downside is they can feel a bit cold and clammy when wet. I really like the thigh pockets though, don't know why other manufacturers don't incorporate them.

Roadrunner6 09 Oct 2020

I like the Nike Pro leggings. 

Herdwickmatt 09 Oct 2020
In reply to LastBoyScout: I have the OMM ones which are alright. Had to size down (Xs compared to small) to avoid saggy ronhill crotch

Wadam00 09 Oct 2020
In reply to Ridge:

Love the alpkit 3/4 and the thigh pockets are great for stashing gear on trail runs. 

Run_Ross_Run 09 Oct 2020

My salomon ones are spot on. 3/4, sit properly on the legs, pockets etc, slight compression, grips on upper legs to aid uphill walking. (sorry can't remember the model). 

Have a look on the website maybe.... 

greg_may_ 09 Oct 2020

Alpkit ones are ok for the price, fit is a bit odd, think granpa trousers for the waist band if you want a snug crotch (and who doesn't)

OMM ones have a seam that goes right up your bumcrack - but they are great fitting otherwise.

Inov-8 ones are my go to, but they come in different weights depending on the year you go for.

My go to...are a full length pair of very light Hagloffs ones though! 

Dave B 09 Oct 2020

Start fitness are doing some for £10. Might be worth a punt. 

In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

Will keep an eye out for Salomon ones - I've got a lot of their other kit, which is great.

In reply to Ridge:

Oddly, thigh pockets would put me off, I think. I do like zip pocket at the back for the door key, though.

More-On 09 Oct 2020

They also have a back pocket that will take a phone (or key!). I'm sure there are better 3/4s out there but for 20 odd quid in the sale the alpkit ones are serving me well.

colinakmc 10 Oct 2020

Whatever happened to Ron Hill Trackies? £12 a pair last time I looked, cool in the heat and warm in the cold, dry out in about 10 minutes. And upholding a noble UKC tradition.

markk 10 Oct 2020

Montane or Inov8 for me.

Salomon - weird sizing, Alpkit - go baggy/ thin after a while.

Ridge 10 Oct 2020
In reply to markk:

> Alpkit - go baggy/ thin after a while.

Not noticed that at all, I've slid down Clough head on my arse (quads were shot and it was the least painful option to get it over with) with no damage, clocked up maybe1000 miles per pair with a bit of fraying on the seams but no baggyness. The only holes in one pair are when the hound stopped dead in front of me and I went skidding down a recently gravelled bit of tarmac. Even then the holes haven't got any bigger.

Edit: The reflective Alpkit logos wore off a long time ago.

Post edited at 22:39
 markk 11 Oct 2020
In reply to Ridge:

Well I'm a big fan of Alpkit and generally like their gear.  However I did find their running tights haven't lasted so well, particularly compared to my innov8's which are a slightly heavier weight fabric.

It's quite possible the Alpkit tights have improved though - I got mine when they first started doing them.

Removed User 11 Oct 2020

> In classic UKC style, I will inform you that you are asking the wrong question. You don't want 3/4 length tights, you want lighter weight tights.

> I've got about a dozen pairs of running tights: Asics, Adidas, Salomon, 2XU, Skins. However the comfiest and best fitting ones are from Decathlon. They do them in a range of weights as well. My preference in the Autumn weight ones for winter, but I will wear shorts for most of the year, so maybe run a bit hotter than average.

You mean there's something other than Ron Hill trackters? That's braking news to me!

jdh90 11 Oct 2020

The Decathlon 3/4 are the first and only pair of running tights I've bought, but I've been entirely satisfied with them and would recommend them too!

marsbar 11 Oct 2020
In reply to colinakmc:

You beat me to it.  

Ron Hills, take a pair of scissors to the bottoms if you want fancy 3/4 length 

cousin nick 12 Oct 2020

Another vote for Alpkit Koulin tights, both full length and three-quarter. As others have said, the fit is a bit odd (high waist). Also, I found that putting something like thin gloves or a buff in the thigh pocket caused irritating pressure on my ITB during a long run, so if you're prone to ITB issues, don't do it!

N

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...