Marathon Inspiration

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Levy_danny 07 Jun 2021

Hi All,

I'm serisouly considering running my first Marathon this year hopefully around September/ October, I can already quite comfortably run half  Marathons but know a full is a different ball game. 

Ideally I'd like it to  be a trail marathon as I much prefer running on trails and find them more interesting but although I'm comfortable running in the hills for shorter distances I'd  prefer my first Marathon to be a bit flatter (although some hills or a bit bump is fine but  not a ridiculous amount of ascent) 

Any suggestions? Within a few hours of Manchester would be an added bonus and if it's pushing up to 30 miles or  similar I'd consider that as well.

Thanks

Dan 

Tom Briggs 07 Jun 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

The Yorkshireman is in September every year, though I'm guessing it will be full for 2021?

Lhod 07 Jun 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

Take a look at Endurance Life coastal trail series, there's lots of options plus multiple distances at each. I'd say generally the marathon distance is better than the ultra, which tends to be the marathon route plus an arbitrary 10k tagged on (often you pass the finish line then do the 10k route). I've done Pembroke, Gower, Exmoor and Sussex so none of the ones closer to you, but all have been excellent, and hilly but not mental. 

robert-hutton 07 Jun 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

White peak marathon is on old railway line, so trail, flat with some hills, if the weather and wind it is nice and easy, if wet and windy very hard work.

Less than 30 miles from Manchester

Dark-Cloud 07 Jun 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

Grizedale 13 and 26, only done the half which was pretty much all fire road, I think the second half of the 26 gets a bit more off road

https://lakeland100.com/grizedaleforesttrail/

geordiepie 07 Jun 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

Lakeland trails Coniston would fit the bill

https://www.lakelandtrails.org/marathon

SouthernSteve 07 Jun 2021
In reply to geordiepie:

> Lakeland trails Coniston would fit the bill":  https://www.lakelandtrails.org/marathon

Except annoyingly it is not quite a marathon in length (yesterday 25.9–26 miles) so no good if you want a marathon time.

Having said that it is a great route, albeit rather tough when hot for this cold weather person.
Early bird entry should be in the next couple of days for next June (2022)

Roadrunner6 07 Jun 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

In North Wales how about Coed Y Brenin. they are meant to be good routes, pretty runnable. June 2022.

http://www.runcoedybrenin.com/events-at-coed-y-brenin/trail-marathon-wales/

I'd consider the white peak one though first. 

Snowdonia is awesome though, it's 80+% road but nice and hilly and varied. 

OP Levy_danny 07 Jun 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, have definitely got  some  ideas for next year, I've added myself to the waiting list for the Yorkshireman and I'm definitely going to  have a look at the white peak marathon for next year, I think it's quite soon and the programs  I've been looking at seem to be about 12 weeks of training. Having run some parts of the pembrokeshire coastal path this year as well I'm really keen to try that out next  year! 

Rich_cakeboy 07 Jun 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

There's also the Lancashireman which still has places for this year, it is similar but slightly more lumpy than the Yorkshireman. Another alternative, for a road marathon ran on mostly country lanes (but no trails) the Chester marathon is good.

In reply to Rich_cakeboy:

Hi Rich, 

I fancy the  Lancashireman any chance you can point me in the direction where I can get tickets from as I think this could be a good challenge but can't  see the 2021 race listed anywhere (I'm probably being blind) 

Cheers

Dan 

In reply to Levy_danny:

just found it on Sientries - I was being blind. 

Rich_cakeboy 07 Jun 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

Sorry I should have put a link in my post as entry is a bit hidden! I'm tempted to give it a go now 🙂 All the best for the training!

In reply to Levy_danny:

> Any suggestions? Within a few hours of Manchester would be an added bonus and if it's pushing up to 30 miles or  similar I'd consider that as well.

Not a suggestion for a race but I'd suggest entering two marathons about a month apart.

You will probably learn stuff the first time about how to handle the immediate preparation and the race that will help you get a better time on the second outing.  Also, if it goes wrong on the first one e.g. from getting cramp or sh*tty weather you haven't blown a season's worth of training.

thelostjockey 08 Jun 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

https://www.100marathonclub.org.uk/contents/1640-uk-and-ireland-events-list...

Here is the best list I've found. If anyone has any better listings, I'd be happy to hear about them. 

Best wishes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...