map carrying when running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dh73 28 Jun 2019

I am struggling to find an acceptable way of carrying a map in a case when I am running. I know there is a move to maps on phones and GPS devices etc but I prefer to carry an OS map in a waterproof case for a number of reasons 

so it is generally the size of one map panel and the map case has a lanyard on. I normally thread the lanyard through my bumbag belt and then stuff the map between the bumbag and my back / side. this works very well in one respect as it is very quick and easy to access on the run - I have my compass threaded through the other side and shoved somewhere equally accessible

the difficulty is, depending on which bumbag I use it  persistently slips down and I have to constantly re-adjust it. this is annoying on a  short run and nearly has me in tears of fury on longer ones

what do other people do?

Ridge 28 Jun 2019
In reply to dh73:

How often do you need to look at the map? After faffing with map and normal compass on a coue of fell races I've been experimenting with running with a thumb compass and map held in my left hand, which seems to work ok.

OP dh73 28 Jun 2019
In reply to Ridge:

the fell races I do are shorter ones at the moment - so are either flagged or I just follow the person in front and hope they know where they are going. don't think I have ever consulted a map in an actual race.

but for my training runs in new areas or recceing a race route, sometimes very frequently - far too often too be getting a rucksack off or something. I have a near genius level ability to lose paths and would rather spend time map reading than slogging over rough country to get back on route

Dave B 28 Jun 2019
In reply to Ridge:

Thumb compasses are good.

I tend to photocopy part of maps and laminate for running. Keep in hand... 

Post edited at 14:09
 Ridge 28 Jun 2019
In reply to Dave B:

> Thumb compasses are good.

> I tend to photocopy part of maps and laminate for running. Keep in hand... 

That's what I've started doing, certainly helps me brush up on my nav.

shuffle 28 Jun 2019
In reply to dh73:

I print or photocopy the bit I need, then put it in a plastic filing pocket and seal the top up with sellotape.

Lo-tech, cheap and can be rolled up and tucked under a rucksack strap or just carried in your hand or stuffed in a pocket.

OP dh73 28 Jun 2019
In reply to shuffle:

think that may be the way forward. I don't have a laminator so placcy bag it is

I also don't have a thumb compass - any recommendations for the best one?

Removed User 28 Jun 2019
In reply to dh73:

Yes, I do much the same.

I've got memory map on my pc so I plot my route then print off the area I want. I usually take three copies with me. One in my back pocket and two inside my backpack so I can have a couple of versions of the print off. One close in around the route and the other covering a bit more area in case I need to go off route.

Garethza 28 Jun 2019
In reply to dh73:

Had a similar issue with map and running. I now try and use a small Harvey map (Cant remember what they are called but they fold down to half the size of a normal map) which fits snuggly in my trail running vest pack thing or alternatively if you are not running with one on, you can just stick it down the side of your shorts and the elastic holds it pretty well 😄

Marek 28 Jun 2019
In reply to dh73:

I think the trick is to have the map as small and neat as possible. I tend to use Harvey's maps (non-laminated) which I can hold easily in my hand (folded with the right bit visible) or roll it up a bit and stuff it up a sleeve (or down shorts). I certainly wouldn't use a map case - it's just too bulky! The only other trick I learned the hard way is to punch a hole in the corner of the map and put a lacky-band thought it (which then goes loosely round my wrist when holding the map in hand. Means that it (probably) won't disappear over the horizon when you stumble on a windy ridge (Howling Howgills KIMM).

Dave B 28 Jun 2019
In reply to dh73:

I've got a cheapy. Which I like, but it's the only one I've seen or use . 

https://www.all4o.com/moscompass-model-11-universal-orienteering-compass

Simon2005 28 Jun 2019
In reply to dh73:

I've used loads of different compasses over the years on the fells and for orienteering. Expensive compasses have some benefits for orienteering but on the fells that is not required. So my advice is go for a cheap Silva or Moscow, plate or thumb, doesn't really matter so much then if you break or loose it.

Dave Todd 28 Jun 2019
In reply to dh73:

> I don't have a laminator

I can heartily recommend 'self-adhesive laminating sheets' - although you'd struggle to fold the laminated sheets afterwards.  I tend to print out the map area that I need, then fold it, then laminate it.  Small, double-sided map - great!

> I also don't have a thumb compass - any recommendations for the best one?

I use a Moscow 3 - love it!

Neil Williams 29 Jun 2019
In reply to dh73:

Get a subscription to OS Maps and print the bit(s) you need on A4 which you can fold up and put in your pocket?

PaulTclimbing 29 Jun 2019
In reply to Dave B:

How good is the quality. It looks great. I like the look of the 360 degrees too. A few years ago the Silva basic wasn't ideal. How does quality compare. Also. There are b5   A 5 waterprood cases in mountain warehouse for a few quid. 

Post edited at 09:31
 steveriley 29 Jun 2019
In reply to dh73:

Tend to print or copy the bit I need, fold to the bit I’m on, stick it in a sarnie bag or similar and carry it in my hand. Fold it the right way and you can have current and next section on the other side and resold it less often. If it’s just insurance for a race or similar, I stick it in the bumbag.

deepsoup 29 Jun 2019
In reply to Neil Williams:

It's quite expensive, but you can also buy waterproof or "weatherproof" paper and print onto that.  Your map won't last forever and may get smudged in an absolute downpour but it'll survive a fair bit of use and shrug off a little rain just fine.

Eg: https://www.memory-map.co.uk/toughprint-waterproof-paper

Dave B 29 Jun 2019
In reply to PaulTclimbing:

All I can say is that its worked for me fine for about 10 years.

Looking again it may be a Moscow 3 rather than 11...

Post edited at 18:55
 Ridge 29 Jun 2019
In reply to Dave B:

Moscow have a good reputation. I have an orientsport forest which works ok.

In reply to dh73:

I subscribe to OS Maps which is a complete bargain. I then take snips of the map sections I want and paste them into a word doc. This allows me to have different scales for different sections: zoomed in for tricky bits and 1:50 for straightforward sections. I then print onto A4 and write numbers on all my sheets. These all go into one A4 sleeve, which I then fold up and pop in a pocket on my running vest.

If the weather forecast is really grim I'll put only two sheets in per sleeve (back to back) and tape the ends

I also write nav notes around the images on the paper and sometimes I have also added photos from google earth to help 

Wainers44 30 Jun 2019
In reply to dh73:

A4 map prints from the OS maps app, which as mentioned is a bargain. Put them in the right size IKEA double zip lock bag which lasts for years and never leaks.

Obviously get someone else to buy the bag as you really don't want to go to IKEA do you!?

Unless I am feeling organised (about twice a year) I don't really know where I am going even after I have been there so the map is more a fashion accessory really! 😀 

In reply to dh73:

Another vote for a Moscow thumb compass. I use one for orienteering. They are £40+ however I was in a Decathlon a couple of days ago and they are doing one for €20 and the needle seemed to settle pretty quickly.

DancingOnRock 01 Jul 2019
In reply to dh73:

Prints or photocopies in ziplock bags works for me too. You can roll them up, unlike laminated sheets. 

Simon Caldwell 01 Jul 2019
In reply to dh73:

If I expect to use the map, I take the relevant Harvey map (or OS if there's no Harvey for the area) and carry it in my hand or tucked into my waist belt. If not expecting to use it, I take an A4 photocopy of it, put in a plastic bag, and stick it in my pocket/rucksack/bum bag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...