La Sportiva Mutant/Akasha sizing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 16 Feb 2021

After awful durability experience with Inov-8 shoes, I keep meaning to experiment with La Sportiva shoes. 

The typical recommendation seems to be sizing up from your regular size with La Sportivas. I usually wear size 9 in Hoka, Saucony, Inov-8 and New Balance. Do I go for size 9.5 or 10? 

I would just order a bunch online but I want both Akasha for longer days and Mutant for shorter/more technical days and that means ordering 4-6 pairs... 

Tom Briggs 16 Feb 2021
In reply to PPP:

Definitely at least half a size or a size up, but it depends on which models of those brands. I take a 10.5 in a Roclite 275 and an 11 in a Mudclaw. 11.5 when I tried an Akasha. If it were me I'd go half a size up for the Mutant as I've tried them in the past and don't remember them being particularly small, but a full size for the Akasha?

glenn0010 16 Feb 2021
In reply to PPP:

I have the mutant, I'd say 1/2 size up. Love them, they're great and after 160 km + they seem very durable

nufkin 16 Feb 2021
In reply to PPP:

I've found a half size bigger than my measured foot size to be fine in all the LS models I've tried so far; 44.5 for a 44 foot.

On which point, it's probably worth noting that it's generally best to use EU sizing for LS footwear, since at some points along the scale their translation can give the same UK size for two different EU sizes (I can't remember the precise sizes, but 40 and 40.5 might both be given as 6.5, for example)

In reply to PPP:

As per other comments, I'd go a half size up for the Mutants.

Only issue I've had is with the laces going, which I've now had on three separate pairs. I've been assured by La Sportiva that this isn't something that they see regularly, but given that it's happened with each pair I own - and also that I'm not doing anything particularly special with the lacing (they're laced how they are out the box) - I'm struggling to find what it is that I'm doing wrong.

The build quality aside from this is excellent. The uppers are sturdy, the sole provides a good balance between grip and durability, and the cushioning seems to take repeated knocks without losing its bounce.

Nic Barber 16 Feb 2021
In reply to PPP:

I go for normal size in Akasha - 9.5 in Inov8 and New Blanace.

I' have had the lace disintegration issue as well.

As for durability - remember that these are trail shoes from a south european country so are designed to be used on trails. I found uppers got worn when I dragged them through a bit too much terrain last summer - but that was towards the end of their life, after 1000+km, though the grip still had some go in it.

OP PPP 16 Feb 2021
In reply to Nic Barber:

Thanks everyone for suggestions! 

> As for durability - remember that these are trail shoes from a south european country so are designed to be used on trails. I found uppers got worn when I dragged them through a bit too much terrain last summer - but that was towards the end of their life, after 1000+km, though the grip still had some go in it.

My Roclite G290s lasted 11 runs (under 200 miles). It wasn’t a pleasant descent off the Ben during Tranter’s round with a little toe trying to escape! With 3.7k miles run last year, I just can’t bring myself to the fact of shoes being so disposable. 

1000km sounds like a dream to me. 

Dark-Cloud 16 Feb 2021
In reply to PPP:

I recently swapped from Salomon to La Sportiva, so far so good, i am a UK9 in street shoes, always wore a 9.5 in Salomon, i went 9.5+ in the Mutant but think a 10 would be better, they are a tad too short, in the Akasha i went 10.5 and they are a touch too big so would be a 10 in them too, so that's a long way of saying full size up for me!

Takein 16 Feb 2021
In reply to PPP:

I love Mutants but don't size up at all. I buy the same size as my regular street shoe and the same size I would in Inov8 or Salomon. So I wouldn't size up. Note the sock fit on Mutants makes them feel very snug when you first try them on if you're used to Inov8 etc but I find after a couple of runs this translates into a very positive, responsive fit.

I get about 500km out of a pair. The lacing system is good but you do need to tighten in sections as the lace design (like the sockfit) is unusual but effective. If you just pull really hard at the top you can break the laces without the bottom even tightning...

Interested to know why you fancy Akashas for longer runs and Mutants for shorter? I've done 100km+ runs in my Mutants with no feet trouble at all...

greg_may_ 16 Feb 2021
In reply to Takein:

26km from my last pair of Mudclaws. 127 the pair before. Done with Inov8 now for the future.

in NVii Forest 2 for short runs and racing (orienteering). iRocks for fell races and MM. Mutants for longer days and probably a Paddy in May.

Sized up 1/2 size for the Mutants.

OP PPP 16 Feb 2021
In reply to Takein:

It sounded as if Mutants were a tighter fit whereas Akasha had a bit more room and cushioning? Akasha still has a rock plate so that would also be a good thing for a longer distance. On a second look, they do have similar stack height! Would be interested to hear how they both compare. 

I have run multiple 50Ks in Mudclaws (275 and G260v1), but more cushioning doesn't hurt... 

Bezz 17 Feb 2021
In reply to PPP:

I've had 2 pairs of Bushidos (for shorter routes and harder terrain) and one pair of Akashas (for longer routes and more nixed terrain).

I'm usually a size 9 in most shoes but all my Sportiva stuff is size 44 (which is c. 9.5 I think). 

The Akashas have a more generous toe box than the Bushidos for sure but also the elasticated laces feel like they make them more forgiving. They do seem to suit my feet so defo need to try them on to make sure they work for you 

tingle 18 Feb 2021
In reply to PPP:

Big fan of mutants, I go true to size but they are fairly snug, seems with the new version I have to really loosen up the laces to even get my foot in but once it’s in it’s fine. Half size up is probably safe.

Whoopdeedoo 19 Feb 2021
In reply to tingle:

Does anyone find that there’s a gap at the top of the shoe where the gaiter/tongue doesn’t quite overlap?

In reply to PPP:

I’m a full size up on street size in the mutants, I’ve got fairly wide feet and they feel fitted round the top and sides with a decent amount of toe splay in the box. They’re my favourite running shoe so far. 

Post edited at 09:48
 tingle 20 Feb 2021
In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

I think I know what you mean but mine overlap somewhat neatly with my skinny feet. 

Delbiz 20 Feb 2021
In reply to PPP:

I go true to size in the mutant, I personally use to love the snug tight fit for technical terrain and wouldn't like my foot moving about.  Personal preference really, I would go to a shop, or as you say order a few sizes and send the ones you don't like back. 

I found the akasha to be a horrible shoe, also ran that true to size.

In terms of durability, I regularly would put 800km+ into mutants over technical terrain. 

HardenClimber 20 Feb 2021
In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

I think I see what you mean...it doesn't seem to 'trap' things'.

Nice shoes. Like the tight glove like fit. I suspect preference governs size...a tight glove lke fit is true to size for me. I think they feel small when you first try them on because your foot doesn't slip easily in.

OP PPP 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Delbiz:

> I found the akasha to be a horrible shoe, also ran that true to size.

Just curious - why’s that?

Whoopdeedoo 22 Feb 2021
In reply to tingle:

Yeah, maybe it’s just my wide bony feet 🙈

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...